BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2014 8:55 pm  #1

Is Sebastian Moran the Moran You Were Expecting?

We as a fandom are mostly in love with the idea that the so-far-nonexistent character Sebastian Moran would be an amazing additon to the show. Believe me, I love him too. 

However, I've come to realise that they've already brought him in, and not in the way were were expecting/hoping/praying. I knew I recognised the name 'Moran' in TEH. In this adaptation, he is Lord Moran, the mole for North Korea who tried to blow up Parliament with the tube car.

Not what we were expecting at all.

But hold up: that's not the last we see of the Moran character we love from fanfiction and speculation. Moffat and Gatiss gave most of Moran's story to, wait for it: Not-Really-Mary-Watson-nee-Morstan.

Whaaaaaaaat?

Col. Moran in ACD canon was a sharpshooter and Moriarty's sniper. Let us not forget Mrs. Watson's expert marksmanship, as demonstrated in HLV. Moran attempts to take out Holmes with a sniper shot in canon, but it later transpires that the Holmes he shot was a dummy, and it led to his arrest. In HLV, Mary thinks she is talking to Sherlock in Lennister Gardens, but then she thinks it is a dummy (really her livid and betrayed husband, our one and only kittens, jam, and rage John Watson). See the parallels?

I look forward to see what Mofftiss come up with in S4, but I think Moran's story is done. Then again, if Sebby does actually show up come 2016, then it will be a delightful surprise indeed. But this brings up the question: what does this smash-combine of characters bode for Mary? 

July 22, 2014 10:45 pm  #2

Re: Is Sebastian Moran the Moran You Were Expecting?

I'm not expecting anything anymore I'm just waiting for the surpriiise...

no, seriously: I think Marys story isn't done, and I think whatever more is there to come, will come from her end. Maybe there is a Mary-Moran connection somewhere in the past - they worked in the same business, even if not on the same sides... possible they've met, possible Mary knows far more villains than we would expect. From everything CAM hinted at, I think Mary's file would definitely include some first class terrorist hunting. I think Moran being an ingredient of the whole Mary character cocktail just shows even clearer that Mary's past cannot be put aside so easily. For me, it's a hint that she really belongs to "both" sides - the dark and the light, and that makes her an intruiging character, and also makes me dislike the kind of smooth end to her story in HLV - just doesn't feel right to me. I bet there's more to come, it can't be only CAM who got to know things about her.

Last edited by Whisky (July 22, 2014 10:52 pm)

"It is what it is."

July 24, 2014 6:58 pm  #3

I would love for this series to do an interpretation of Colonel Sebastian Moran. After all Elementary and the RDJ films had done it, so why not BBC's Sherlock.

It is true that "Lord Moran" was used in "The Empty Hearse" but Colonel Sebastian Moran could be someone who is related to him. So anything is possible.

July 24, 2014 7:41 pm  #4

BrettHolmes wrote:

I would love for this series to do an interpretation of Colonel Sebastian Moran. After all Elementary and the RDJ films had done it, so why not BBC's Sherlock.

It is true that "Lord Moran" was used in "The Empty Hearse" but Colonel Sebastian Moran could be someone who is related to him. So anything is possible.

You're right in that. I really do want a vengeful Sebastian Moran, someone who possibly cared about Jim or just cares about the network he left behind. If this man shows up to take revenge for the death of his superior or the collapse of the criminal web, that would be very, very exciting. 

July 24, 2014 9:47 pm  #5

"You're right in that. I really do want a vengeful Sebastian Moran, someone who possibly cared about Jim or just cares about the network he left behind. If this man shows up to take revenge for the death of his superior or the collapse of the criminal web, that would be very, very exciting." 

That would be really good

I also think that the snipers that aimed their lasers at Sherlock and John at the pool in TGG, could have included Moran since he is know to be an excellent marksman. He also he could have been the leading person in charge of the snipers in TRF.

Not to mention, that if they depicted Moran as a former colonel then there would be a connection to John since he too served in the British Army in Afghanistan.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (July 24, 2014 9:48 pm)

July 24, 2014 10:01 pm  #6

I have read many a fanfiction where John was the reason why Col. Moran was dishonourably discharged, and those are really good. I like the idea that Moran was in TGG, and I think it would be fantastic if he was John's sniper in TRF.

But look at me, I'm also partial to MorMor, so I'm going to be biased in my love for this character, if he ever does show up. 

Board footera