BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2012 6:15 am  #1

My pet hate on the internet

As you may have gathered already, I am not too shy about expressing my views. And things that I believe are just down right stupid always get me riled up.
Ever since I started on the internet, many millions of byes ago, I've seen the increasing presence of hoaxes. They come in all shapes and forms and obviously originate with someone two sandwiches short of a picnic!

By this I mean the posts you find on Facebook etc like : " Facebook will give $1 for every person who posts his message ... " blah blah. Or " Studies show that drinking 3 cans of Coke and eating a bunch of grapes will cause abortions" or "Virus alert, you must delete THESE files on your computer ...." etc etc. Let me add 'chain letters' no matter how 'nice' they are " You will have a beautiful day and may even find your dream date BUT you MUST send this on to 25 of your friends within the next hour". grrrrr

Apart from the obvious distress it would give some people who are not very computer literate, these things usually change as they get passed along and in the end there are 25 viruses all eating away at your computer after you watch the latest Sherlock episode!

My frustration is two fold.

1. At the idiots who start this nonsense. Except for the extremely nasty ones, do they even stop to think how upsetting it would be to anyone who just wasn't in the right frame of mind & starting panicking and deleting files all over the place?

2. At the people who forward them on, post them on sites etc without even considering whether they should verify anything that has been claimed. Anyone who sends me that stuff will get ONE reply asking them to never forward that garage to me again. If they do it again, they are blocked. "Not my division!"

All that stuff does, esp the email ones is collect a giant list of email addresses that any one of the thousands of bots floating around can pick up and add to their spam lists. Not to mention how much they clog up the email accounts of 'friends'.

If people find things that warn of viruses, etc why don't they check them with Norton or MacPhee or any of the other RELIABLE sites before panicking???

Thanks. rant over.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 14, 2012 6:42 am  #2

Re: My pet hate on the internet

I totally agree! One of my friends actually had to delete her facebook account because of shit like that 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

March 14, 2012 6:52 am  #3

I'm probably the rudest person online, I just delete and block people for anything that annoys me. BUT in my defence, I believe it is MY leisure time and I will enjoy it how I want to. Just as in real life you don't sit beside someone who constantly annoys you, you 'block or delete' them .

I've never had to close an account or anything. If I am ever worried about possible hackers etc, I consult someone with intelligence in these matters.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 14, 2012 7:46 am  #4

And what about those ones that say you've won a large amount of money on some foreign lottery or other...or someone is dying and wants to leave you loads of money because they don't have any relatives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 14, 2012 7:54 am  #5

Oh yes.
But the worst part with those (besides the thousands that actually believe them) is that some knuckleheads actually reply just to try some vigilante dumbness by saying " yeah sure. whatever" or " you'll get found out you know" etc.
As soon as they reply in anyway to those, the sender KNOWS that the email address is a 'live' one and that leaves you open to heaps more spam and possible attacks of a nastier nature. You should do nothing but delete them as often they have no idea if the email address is an old one or one in current use.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera