BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2013 7:07 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock Holmes Conference in London

Well I'm all booked!

March 27, 2013 4:52 am  #22

For some reason I'm unable to post the link to the Institute of English Studies  IES Sherlock Holmes Past and Present conference webpage which now has the link to registration, programme, events and information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 27, 2013 4:58 am  #23

SherlockHound wrote:

How is your work going on the paper that you're presenting?

Thoroughly enjoying it, thank you. Did we need another excuse to read the canon and watch Sherlock again?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

March 27, 2013 10:26 am  #24

Oooh sounds amazables Need to wait til payday next week though ...

------------------------------------------------
Twenty-something Sherlockian with Whovian traits of a Christopher Eccleston kind. 

March 29, 2013 7:45 pm  #25

TouchinglyLoyal wrote:

Oooh sounds amazables Need to wait til payday next week though ...

Great that'll be five of us meeting up as far as we can tell from people saying here they are going.

BTW Christopher Eccleston is my kind too.

March 31, 2013 10:53 am  #26

Posted by Ross K Foad of http://www.nplh.co.uk/index.html

On June 21st-June 22nd the ultimate Sherlock Holmes summit "Sherlock Holmesast and Present" will be held at the Institute of English Studies, Senate House, University of London UCL .

"This conference offers a serious opportunity to bring together academics, enthusiasts, creative practitioners and popular writers in a shared discussion about the cultural legacy of Sherlock Holmes. The Strand Magazine and the Sherlock Holmes stories contribute one of the most enduring paradigms for the production and consumption of popular culture in the twentieth- and the twenty-first centuries. The stories precipitated a burgeoning fan culture including various kinds of participation, wiki and crowd-sourcing, fan-fiction, virtual realities and role-play gaming. This conference aims to unpick the historical intricacies of Holmesian fandom as well as offering a wide variety of perspectives upon its newest manifestations. This conference invites adaptors of and scholars on Holmes, late-Victorian writing, and popular culture internationally to contribute to this scholarly conversation..This conference will precede Holmes’ 160th birthday in 2014 and launch a new volume of essays on Holmes co-edited by Dr. Jonathan Cranfield and Tom Ue, and form part of the larger celebrations in London and internationally."

A booking of a ticket is required to attend for spectators (Registration will be open soon).
I am very happy to say I have been asked to be part of the events and will be presenting an introduction to NPLH , its history and the airing of one Episode and a Q+A . 

For those that can not attend "No Place Like Holmes" has been asked if I will also provide Video coverage for as many of the events/presentations as possible which I have agreed to so if you cant make it down you will not miss out entirely as will be able to catch up via the NPLH site.

Holmesians from all over the world are attending this including the great Doyle historian Alistair Duncan  (holder of the most Napoleons to date) , Steve Emecz (MX Publishing Director and Organizer of the The Great Sherlock Holmes Debates)and Professor Marino Alvarez (A Professor Reflects On Sherlock Holmes Author).

Hope to see you there , do come say Hi if you do!

April 11, 2013 7:22 pm  #27

I think I need to go and get a PhD or something before I attend the conference. Here's the summary of one of the papers :

"Using the notion of negative hermeneutics, this paper examines how Michiel Heyns’s post-apartheid, anti-detective novel, Lost Ground (2011) draws on the heritage of the Sherlock Holmes short stories. The central argument is that Heyns’s representation of contemporary South Africa necessitates a shift from the epistemological quests of modernist detective fiction to the ontological concerns of post-modernist anti-detective fiction."

Heeeelp!

April 11, 2013 8:17 pm  #28

Flipping heck! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 15, 2013 3:52 am  #29

biscuitbear wrote:

I think I need to go and get a PhD or something before I attend the conference. Heeeelp!

Seeing that John can use Sherlock's bank card, I am happy to loan you my PhD for the conference

You are a pretty smart cookie already though!

May 31, 2013 6:08 pm  #30

biscuitbear wrote:

I think I need to go and get a PhD or something before I attend the conference. Here's the summary of one of the papers :

"Using the notion of negative hermeneutics, this paper examines how Michiel Heyns’s post-apartheid, anti-detective novel, Lost Ground (2011) draws on the heritage of the Sherlock Holmes short stories. The central argument is that Heyns’s representation of contemporary South Africa necessitates a shift from the epistemological quests of modernist detective fiction to the ontological concerns of post-modernist anti-detective fiction."

Heeeelp!

Do you have a link to the abstracts please?

I declare our talk will be a jargon free area so nobody need worry.

May 31, 2013 6:55 pm  #31

Yes, definitely come to our talk, it will be brilliant. If I do say so myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2013 4:27 pm  #32

Reviews of the conference are now up on my blog:

http://www.napoleonofholmes.com

And this very detailed review by a friend of mine, Kim.

http://oddsandendsbykizzia.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/review-sherlock-holmes-past-and-present.html

(My "review" is more like an account of all the fun I had rather than an attempt at anything serious).

July 9, 2013 1:35 am  #33

Excellent, thank you for sharing with the rest of the world!

July 9, 2013 8:28 am  #34

Thank you for your detailed report - I very much enjoyed reading it!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

June 9, 2014 4:55 pm  #35

I'm pleased to report that the paper given by The Boss and myself appears to have been accepted for the final round of reviewing for publishing as a chapter in the book of the conference proceedings. A publisher has been found for it. Should our paper fail to be selected, however, a full copy and the slideshow will be posted for sharing.

June 13, 2014 1:31 pm  #36

Morton wrote:

I'm pleased to report that the paper given by The Boss and myself appears to have been accepted for the final round of reviewing for publishing as a chapter in the book of the conference proceedings. A publisher has been found for it. Should our paper fail to be selected, however, a full copy and the slideshow will be posted for sharing.

Wow, this is great news for you both, hope you get published! The book sounds like a must-have anyway.
Otherwise I'm looking forward to reading your paper online.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

June 13, 2014 7:14 pm  #37

Yeah, it's pretty exciting.

Board footera