BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2014 8:36 pm  #1

D Day Remembered...@ a Holmes fan .

Hows about a moment to remember all those that fought and died in that mad mad dog of a war.

Some twenty or so years ago I was dispatched with a bag of shopping to an unknown elderly neighbours house.
Arriving wet and cold on a sunday afternoon I was ushered in ,,,,shhhed had tea thrust upon me and was pushed into a fireside chair to watch...Sherlock Holmes and the deadly necklace...1962 vers with Christopher Lee. At the end of which my elderly neighbour declared...well what rubbish they won't show that again.....and my..but Lee was brilliant!
Thus began a long and rewarding relationship with my elderly neighbour a Holmes fan...and a ww2 vet with a remarkable story.
A bilingual french teacher..after just 6 weeks training..this man was dropped behind enemy lines in France...contacted the resistance...spent over a year radioing info home...was captured....escaped..made it home...and then returned to France after d day to assist ..was blown up and lost a leg. Not that exciting really he assured me.....wow.

For years we talked.. watched and read Doyle's Holmes ....and had great fun.
I remember vividly one time after being plied with Sherry falling into a fit of giggles when he declared....mayhap ejaculated as Holmes often did...."We all were jealous...we wanted the gay bachelor life they had...." he looked at me knowingly and said.."well of course that means something different now I know...but well..what does it matter if they were there's a pair in every platoon ."

Lessons for us all....r I p Eric. The best and bravest Johnlocker X

June 6, 2014 9:08 pm  #2

Re: D Day Remembered...@ a Holmes fan .

What a wonderful story, lil. Thanks for sharing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 6, 2014 9:09 pm  #3

*raises glass*

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 7, 2014 1:54 pm  #4

A day late for D-Day. But I salute them all, including Eric.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera