BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2014 11:08 pm  #1

I just rewatched this one

I’ve always found it to be superb episode and it ranks pretty high out of all the ones that had been made. I just love the layers of mystery and intrigue it has. Gatiss’s script really gives you a lot to sink your teeth into. It also marks the first appearance of Moriarty with the truly sublime pool scene at the end.

However, I do wonder what happened to the original “Lost Vermeer".  Did the Police recover it? Is it in Moriarty’s possession? or Did Wenceslas and the Golem sell it to someone else?

Last edited by BrettHolmes (June 3, 2014 12:11 am)

June 2, 2014 11:27 pm  #2

Re: I just rewatched this one

I also recently rewatched this one and still think that there was no original lost Vermeer. I think that the fake was being market as being a previously unknown, or lost' Vermeer work, but that there is no true Vermeer copy of it out there.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 3, 2014 4:13 am  #3

That's how I understood this as well, Mary.

Apart from that, TGG will always be one of my favourite episodes of the show. I absolutely love the pool scene, there is so much going on there... between John and Sherlock, between Sherlock and Moriarty. And I think you can't give a villain a better entrance than the one they gave Moriarty right here. You saw him before as Jim from IT, and then you see this guy here once again and it's like WTF...?! Brilliant.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 4, 2014 10:03 pm  #4

there wasn´t any lost Vermeer...only the fake. Moriarty helped to medialize it as an original. I guess the opening was destroyed after Sherlock´s disclosure...and maybe Wenceslas was arrested for a fraud..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 26, 2015 7:16 am  #5

he has his collar turned up! I can't remeber if Sherlock did this in the earlier episodes or not, so I don't know who is copying the other. Just wanted to share that. 

Board footera