BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2012 12:56 pm  #1

Series 2 broadcast Germany- changes

ARD have changed the screening of Scandal in Belgravia (not Bavaria ha ha) to May 17th at 20.15. It was originally going to be on a week later at 21.45 but it was felt this was too late for younger viewers. This was following an amazing positive reaction to the series at the Festival Grosses Fernsehen. Hounds of the Baskerville will screen 27th May at 21.45 and The Reichenbach Falls on 28th May 21.45. I think this is during school holidays. It is said that the first screening time gives Sherlock an unusual advantage for a foreign made series . It is a better time to capture the audience before the screenings of episodes 2 and 3. It is hoped that Series 3 will make its way onto German TV screens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 13, 2012 3:40 pm  #2

Re: Series 2 broadcast Germany- changes

davina, are you a fellow German? I've advertized 'Sherlock' amongst all my friends, though the dubbed version misses one of the greatest joys: Ben Cumberbatch's voice. I enjoyed the German version of the first season last year, which made me discover Sherlock, but I only got really into it, when I watched the dvd. I listen to the English version, with the help of the English subtitels. My English is good, since I lived in London and New York for a while, but the rapid fire dialog is too fast for me at times and the subtitels come in helpful.

March 13, 2012 6:10 pm  #3

No I am not German but I have studied it at classes for the last 20 years. I am not surprised that you have trouble following the dialogue in Sherlock sometimes because it is often very quick. The same with some of Sherlock's deductions, which as Benedict says are so quick they are actually quicker than he can think normally. Must be fun learning those lines and then shooting them out like that. The speed, combined with some of the everyday phrases and play-on-words are difficult to follow in another language. Personally i would always prefer to have the original voices and sub-titles, although these can vary in accuracy. I watched the whole of Das Boot like that and it's a really good way to improve in the language.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 13, 2012 6:44 pm  #4

Yes, watching the original movies with subtitles is a wonderful way to improve language skills. My sons and their friends always watch movies like that. And as I said already, at least for me one of the greatest joys of Sherlock is Ben Cumberbatch's unique voice.

Board footera