BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2014 8:33 pm  #1

The Interviews Thread

I think we need a thred dedicated to Benedict's interviews - the really good ones. I am not talking about red carpet snippits or talk show apperances (for the most part),  but the really good, in-depth interviews he has given.

We have all commented on his intelligence, how he presents himself, his well thought out,highly educated answers, etc.  Let's try to keep tabs on all the great interviews he has given.

I'll start with the BAFTA In Conversation talk he gave in NYC earlier in 2014 - I think it was April.  Here is Part 1

Part 2:

Part 3

And finally, Part 4

I'll also break on of my rules and include an T.V. apperance Ben did on the David Letterman show back in April of 2013. It was a promotinal for ST: Into Darkness and is still the funniest interview ever. Poor Ben! But I just love it, and David pays him the supreme compliment at the end! I always get a good laugh out of it.

I have also noticed that one cannot embed a YouTube video in replies to this post. Shame.  It's much easier to just play the video in the thread then having to go to a link.  

Last edited by kaye (May 17, 2014 8:48 pm)

May 18, 2014 7:46 am  #2

Re: The Interviews Thread

Hey kaye! Nice to meet you and thanks for starting this thread. Looks promising already! I love the BAFTA in conversation session, too. He's incredibly mesmerizing when he talks about his work.

Here's my contribution. I love the latest interview he did with Graham Norton (October 2013). I found it hilarious from beginning to end! "Sorry traffic was terrible. The helicopter wasn't working.", "OUR agent?" "Benedict, before you arrive, he was really fluent!"  and Ben impersonating Harrison Ford and a Chewbacca. XD So many epic moments, and having Harrison Ford and Jack Whitehall on the same couch to complete it. But the best part for Ben and the rest of us I think was having Harrison announcing that he was a fan. Lovely episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xuZXsLDo4

<Edited later>

Oh just saw that you put talk show appearances as an exclusion criteria! Whoops.

Last edited by Le Bear Polar (May 18, 2014 7:57 am)

May 18, 2014 8:15 am  #3

Excellent idea. Let me add the wonderful Q&A from Cracow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ15wRuiQVs

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 18, 2014 8:20 am  #4

Thanks for the thread Kaye! Gonna have a lovely time looking through these interviews

May 18, 2014 8:27 am  #5

This thread is a brilliant idea! There's a lot of interviews I still need to watch! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 18, 2014 8:48 am  #6

Great idea Kaye, thank you for starting the thread. I've seen a good few interviews but I am sure there are others which have fallen through the radar. I will post this one, because I think it's interesting. And frankly, he looks divine in it!!

http://youtu.be/iB3ztCMWV_Y

I'm clueing for looks

May 18, 2014 8:57 am  #7

Oh yes, clare! That's one to watch again and again and again.
I love the fact that he just can't decide between James Dean and James Stewart - I couldn't, either.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 18, 2014 10:05 am  #8

clareiow wrote:

Great idea Kaye, thank you for starting the thread. I've seen a good few interviews but I am sure there are others which have fallen through the radar. I will post this one, because I think it's interesting. And frankly, he looks divine in it!!

http://youtu.be/iB3ztCMWV_Y

Oh, this is an all time favorite.  I've even got it on my phone.  *giggle*

He looks totally adorable and his answers are intellegent and funny.   *swoon*

Watched the interview from Poland for the first time last night.  Once again, so smart, so passionate.  And then I completely loose it at his response to Putin banning swearing.   OMG

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 18, 2014 11:29 am  #9

Here are my favourites interviews (or rather I should call it talks) - both with Benedict talking to James Rhodes about mainly classical music but not only. If I have to describe it by only one word I would call it "gentle". I wish there will be more discussions like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aT6T0kTquU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD6o_sCI3N4

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 18, 2014 11:57 am  #10

I need to find some time to listen to all of these!
But "gentle" is the perfect description for the James Rhodes chats, and I adore the part at the end of one of them where James teases Benedict for blushing
There's another short interview on YT with Benedict and Tom Hiddlestone talking about War Horse where he's lovely about Tom, and speaks with his usual intelligence, about WW1 - I must admit, there's a part where Tom seems to question something he says, and it seems to throw him off a tiny bit, but it always makes me think that Benedict would have made a fantastic Teacher!

Last edited by Tinks (May 18, 2014 12:01 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 19, 2014 8:44 pm  #11

Ladies!! What riches you have provided here. :- )   Polar - please don't apologize for the Graham Norton vid, as I made an exception to my "rule" for the Davie Letterman interview.  The entire show was hilarious. Thanks so much.  There is another side to Benedict i just adore with his impressions and craziness, although I wish they would give the otter thing a rest.  Ben genuinely seems to be able to laugh at it all.

Claire - that Harper's Bazaar photo shoot - oh my!  How did I miss that?  So georgous he was, so sexy.  And so well articulated.  I am not ashamed to say I played that a few times and drooled.

For sheer intellectual delight, I just adored the James Rhodes interview and vid with Benedict.  Thank you Marta!  I think what I really love about this man, what brings me back time and again is his MIND.  How he associates himself with someone like Rhodes , who can bring to life the world of classical music to the uninitiated, and make it interesting by exploring the lives of the composers.  Ben keeps the best company.  I actually feel like I am a better person in some small way after being exposed to this.

And I have to say Benedict was terribly sexy in his unkempt Sherlock hair.  On reflection, it seems his true sexiness comes out when you see the man in action, not in still photos, for the most part.  A true renaissance man, that's our Ben.

Ladies - please keep them coming!

May 20, 2014 6:04 am  #12

MartaSt wrote:

Here are my favourites interviews (or rather I should call it talks) - both with Benedict talking to James Rhodes about mainly classical music but not only. If I have to describe it by only one word I would call it "gentle". I wish there will be more discussions like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aT6T0kTquU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD6o_sCI3N4

Marta, thank you for posting those, for some reason I´ve missed them out until now.. they are so beautiful! The first one brought tears to my eyes, and the second one makes me want to play the piano for at least two hours now. It really refreshed my appreciation for the beauty of it.. (not that I play like James Rhodes, but still..^^). 

kaye wrote:

I think what I really love about this man, what brings me back time and again is his MIND. [...] On reflection, it seems his true sexiness comes out when you see the man in action, not in still photos, for the most part.  A true renaissance man, that's our Ben.

I couldn´t have said it better.. as good looking as he is in still photos, what really captivates me is his mind and his beautiful soul that shows in the way he acts and talks..

Last edited by Zatoichi (May 20, 2014 6:04 am)

May 20, 2014 6:20 am  #13

Yes, it's the total package. You can look at him for hours, watch him for hours, listen to him for hours.
I love the fact that he's not only interested in his job and the things he's directly surrounded by, but so much more... Of course when it comes to someone like James Rhodes, they are friends and I guess you're automatically interested in the things your friends do and love. But still, Benedict emanates such a honest and real interest, and it's so lovely to see how things can fascinate him... almost like a child.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 20, 2014 6:29 am  #14

Exactly!
And he KNOWS what to say and how to say it. I don't think that you can really surprise him with a question. If he doesn't know an answer straight away he shortly thinks about it and then goes on. Not making excuses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 20, 2014 6:48 am  #15

Oh yes, I loooove how he thinks about questions, really takes them to heart and then answers in such a thoughtful, heartfelt and intelligent way.. overwhelms me time and again. (and is more than a tiny bit sexy to me..). He has such an extraordinary way of perceiving things, valuing things, depth of feeling, flexible, quick and complex mind.. I´m in love so bad. 

May 20, 2014 1:25 pm  #16

How about this one? One of my all time favourites, Ben & the cast of The Hobbit: DOS being trolled by Daniele Rizzo.  All for a bit of laugh! And Ben TOTALLY got into character!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2XYtFtWgQ

May 20, 2014 1:34 pm  #17

Yeah, that's fun. I really enjoy Daniele Rizzo. He did something similar with the STID cast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Gxq-jYtl4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

May 20, 2014 3:12 pm  #18

What a great idea for a thread!
Should be sitting in the garden right now, but instead glued to the couch again, watching interviews...... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 21, 2014 12:37 pm  #19

Did we have this one? It is from the Park Theatre Anniversary and he eloquently talks about theatre, Tom Hiddleston and watching Peter O'Toole on stage as a teenager (plus him being videobombed for a change):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPdU9_RtPj0

Last edited by SusiGo (May 21, 2014 12:37 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 21, 2014 12:42 pm  #20

That answered my question in the photo thread. Thanks, Susi. 

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera