BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2014 8:25 pm  #21

Re: non-English language films

Harriet wrote:

I don't count myself to be belonging to this minority.

So what do you want to say - do you prefer dubbing?

No, the opposite. Gah, I totally messed this up, didn't I? Okay, let me go and correct that. (Sorry, I don't know where my head is at tonight.)

"Mattlocked" wrote:

Here they just should start saving money and stop dubbing everything. And serve movies to us as original version with subtitles. Problem solved.

I'm all for it, but could you imagine the shitstorm that would undoubtedly happen if anyone seriously suggested that? I'm sure that the vast majority of Germans would hate the idea.

May 4, 2014 8:27 pm  #22

Ah, they'll get used to it. 
(one can dream, right?)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 4, 2014 8:30 pm  #23

Oh, and to bring this back on topic, I also remember a Swiss sci-fi movie that was pretty good, called Cargo. Anyone seen that one?

And, yes, I'm dreaming with you, Mattlocked.

Last edited by TeeJay (May 4, 2014 8:31 pm)

May 4, 2014 8:35 pm  #24

TeeJay wrote:

"Mattlocked" wrote:

Here they just should start saving money and stop dubbing everything. And serve movies to us as original version with subtitles. Problem solved.

I'm all for it, but could you imagine the shitstorm that would undoubtedly happen if anyone seriously suggested that? I'm sure that the vast majority of Germans would hate the idea.

Well, but that's not only a problem of the people in Germany, it's a problem of what people are used to and have been used to for years and years and years. You won't be able to change a thing like this from one day to the next - and I am absolutely sure that people in other countries would react with exactly the same shitstorm if they were in a similar situation. Come on, that's not "stereotypical German"...!

There are a lot of people in Germany who watch tv shows in the orginial version, either on DVD or the internet - and let's face it, the original version here always means an English version, because yes, we all speak English soooo well. I admit it, I wouldn't understand a French or Italian movie or tv show, I'd need subtitles - and I would definitely have to get used to this.
For all of us here on the forum it would be great to have English movies and tv shows in the original version, but that's because we all speak and understand Englsh pretty well. So it's easy for us to say "Yes, let's forget about the dubbing!".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 4, 2014 8:40 pm  #25

For me it's not 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 4, 2014 8:45 pm  #26

Always a special treatment for you.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 4, 2014 8:47 pm  #27

Fine, I didn't say when the problem would be solved. After how many years
The Scandinavians are used to it and they are much better in English quite early, because imo they learn it automatically that way. That's all I wanted to say.
Of course there would be a shitstorm if you change it tomorrow, no doubt.
At least they could offer several "sound-channels", so one can choose the language.

May 4, 2014 8:49 pm  #28

Solar, come over and I give you a special treatment! 

Last edited by Harriet (May 4, 2014 8:52 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 4, 2014 8:50 pm  #29

Calm down, girls. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 4, 2014 8:51 pm  #30

Mattlocked, I agree about the Scandinavians, and it's definitely worth thinking about this.
I just also wanted to stress that this "shitstorm" would definitely happen in other countries as well, it's not a German 'problem'.

May 4, 2014 8:52 pm  #31

And right you are! 

May 4, 2014 8:53 pm  #32

Harriet wrote:

Come over and I give you a special treatment!

Oh, I'd love to... but I had a tough weekend and really need to go to bed now. Sorry. But The Moderator is my witness.

May 4, 2014 8:57 pm  #33

Go to your lovely bed then and don't bother us anymore 

May 4, 2014 9:00 pm  #34

Rude. RUDE!

May 4, 2014 9:03 pm  #35

May 4, 2014 9:08 pm  #36

Ok, ok, I formally apologize ...

May 7, 2014 11:42 am  #37

A French film, "The Wild Child" (in the original, "L'Enfant sauvage") from 1970, directed by François Truffaut. Is based on a true story about one of the most famous feral children, Victor of Aveyron who was found in the woods in 1800. The film is an account of a doctor Jean Itard who decided to care for him so as to raise him to a 'human'. Very interesting film.

The Road goes ever on and on...

May 9, 2014 4:54 pm  #38

Sounds really interesting. I have read about this 'case' and several others in a book I now need to find again, which was all about these cases of children who have been raised in the wild.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2014 8:44 pm  #39

^ So I recommend you this film. Also, one of its biggest pluses is beautiful music of Vivaldi (and someone else but can't recall whose right now)

Last edited by Deilenn (May 10, 2014 8:44 pm)

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 27, 2015 1:54 pm  #40

Is this a thread about personal language preferences or about getting ideas for watching non-English movies?

To the first issue I'd like to say that I prefer my movies to be in the language that goes with the setting of the movie, or the least disturbing language (of the ones I speak, obviously): I had a chance to watch The Three Musketeers (US production, with Kieffer Sutherland) in the original version, but the pronounciation of the protagonist's names just made my toenails curl, so I switched to German. Ideally I'd be watching Les Trois Musquetaires (in French, obviously).
So for me Sherlock should be in English, Les Choristes in French, Dances with Wolves mostly in Lakota with subtitles, The Last Samourai in English/Japanese and Schindler's List in German, even if that is not the original version (but Spielberg himself had said the movie should be watched in German), as should Valkyrie, ideally (but UK DVDs cost much less...) For Game of Thrones it wouldn't matter, except I like Sean Bean's voice...

Now for a few French movies I've watched and liked: A bout portant - 89 minutes of non-stop action. Babysitting - "just" a silly little comedy, but fun to watch (also under 90 minutes). 9 mois ferme - even sillier (a judge finds herself pregnant without knowing why), but the joke holds up for the 76 minutes the film lasts. Those three films are completely without pretensions, never claim to want anything more than to entertain (I've watched the DVD extras and/or heard the commentary track), and they succeed.
Paulette is a comedy about a pensioner turning drug dealer I've seen in the cinema, the first half was great, in the second I think they overdid it. Or maybe I've missed something...
I'm ambiguous about Le Concert.  On the one hand it's entertaining enough, on the other it doesn't really make sense to me (I think it's inspired by Lubitsch's Ninotchka - but times have changed and I don't see why somebody who lives in Moskow would go wild once they are in Paris).
I believe Les Choristes et Les Intouchables have already been mentioned, those are two great movies. (For Les Intouchables it's important to know that it's based on a true story and that the people it's based on have insisted on it being filmed as a comedy.)
Horse lovers will probably like Dance avec Lui and Jappeloup.
Last but not least one I hated: La Tourneuse des Pages - I found the story nonsensical and as it isn't a comedy the film has no redeeming features for me. (Meaning if you hate the movies I like you might like this one....)

Board footera