BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2014 8:51 am  #1

Australia: Where you are free to be a bigot

Our Attorney-General would like to pave the way for our freedom of speech by changing the anti-discrimination act so that you can say all those racist things that you've been thinking and are having to speak in code so you don't offend too many people. Now you can drop the code and not worry about how many people you offend.

Granted, he was shot down by his own party but why on earth are they meddling with the discrimination act when we have more important things in this country to worry about (like gay rights for instance and our appalling treatment of asylum seekers)? He hasn't given up yet so we can expect more attempts by him and those who agree with his stance.

Last edited by saturnR (March 27, 2014 8:53 am)

April 26, 2014 7:48 am  #2

Re: Australia: Where you are free to be a bigot

I thought people were able to do that anyway. Australia has a very xenophoic mentailty.
I work in a very mulitcultural environment and when I tell people what I do it seems as though I'm saying ''Tell me what you think about other nationalities...''
I hear lots of racist comments and then get funny looks when I try and explain why what they are saying is incorrect.
It's like the old I'm not racist but...

Freedom of speech is one thing, racism is another.

================================================================

April 26, 2014 9:30 am  #3

Re: Australia: Where you are free to be a bigot

"I'm not racist but one has to tell the truth", right. And men who treat women awfully but tell me how badly women in other cultures are being oppressed (here, again, an eye roll smiley is needed!)

Missed you already, Michele!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera