BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

**New** CHAT ROOM - Click here!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2012 9:04 am  #31

Re: D'you think Sherlock has ever had a girlfriend?

"I think he would probably know about those studies and decide that, scientifically, he must be somewhere in between straight and gay, but never cared enough to put too much thought into it. "

Speaking from a medical as well as scientific point of view, as well as my personal opinion - I so agree! Well put!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
It is the unofficial force—the Baker Street Irregulars.
Arthur Conan Doyle (1890) The Sign of the Four

June 29, 2012 1:20 pm  #32

Well, I agree with those who say he doesn't care much weather he's straight or gay. Even the fact that he never disclaims the words of other people implying he and John be a couple make me think that he doesn't care a damn about other people's opinion or that he doesn't know his actual belonging to a certain sex-category.
All his behaviour says 'I don't know anything about men-women relations and I'm not interested in that'. So I think he has never had sex with anyone. Perhaps he tried once or twice to date someone but it was unbearable to her and ended too fast or it was he who was bored))).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

June 29, 2012 6:51 pm  #33

The impression given at several times during both series is that Sherlock observes relationships somewhat in the way of an anthropologist viewing other cultures and societies.

He says that he has no interest in who is sleeping with whom as covered in the press; if he had he might have known who Irene Adler was.

In The Blind Banker Sebastian tells John,  in front of Sherlock, that they all hated him at University because he had this 'trick' of telling them who was sleeping with whom; Sherlock's only objection to this comment is that this is not a 'trick' but that he merely observed and made deductions. Clearly with no understanding of the social constructs that go along with these situations.

When Mycroft accuses him of being scared of sex his retort is that he is not scared of it. Inexperienced, disinterested, slightly baffled and certainly not willing to let any such nonsense interrupt his work perhaps,  after all his work is what he declares himself to be married to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg

June 29, 2012 11:07 pm  #34

In Jeremy Brett's Sign of Four there's this cool little moment at the end where Holmes is all crashed out in bed after solving the case and Watson is getting quite excited about Mary saying how beautiful she was and Holmes replies "Was she? I didn't notice..." And for me that sums it up pretty well...he just doesn't notice things like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://9.asset.soup.io/asset/1715/0057_6c7d.gif

June 30, 2012 7:51 am  #35

Beauty is an artificial, societal construct any way. Sherlock would know that.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 11:39 pm  #36

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah I definitley think he's still a virgin and I don't think he's ever had a girlfriend or boyfriend...

I do wonder whether he's ever even kissed anyone though....

I agree too, still a virgin and I don't think he's ever dated a girlfriend or boyfriend.  Avoiding the term 'had'

Only kissed Mrs Hudson platonically I think and I'd have to check that to be certain.

Clearly he know what happens, the mechanics and the chemicals involved but theory isn't the same as practice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

July 25, 2012 12:27 am  #37

Mycroft called him a virgin, but I thought that was just him being a wise-ass (it runs in the family). After all, Sherlock called Mycroft a queen, too, are to infer that Mycroft must then be gay? Those two aren't exactly on the same wavelength-- I imagine they call each other names all the time, like a couple of perpetual kids. We have no evidence that Sherlock is inexperienced sexually, at least in this BBC incarnation of the Sherlock 'verse. He's currently unattached, but that's not at all surprising, given his sociopathic tendencies. But for all we know, he pays for sex-- men can and do do that all the time, after all. ???

Last edited by ancientsgate (July 25, 2012 12:29 am)

You have this kind of pull--  like gravity.  I'm so lucky that I fell into your orbit.
Joan Watson to Sherlock Holmes, Elementary, 2.24

July 25, 2012 2:26 am  #38

I would believe him to be asexual as a sexual orientation, but also believe he has had sexual experiences. Most likely with a female person..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

July 25, 2012 5:45 am  #39

The Doctor wrote:

I would believe him to be asexual as a sexual orientation, but also believe he has had sexual experiences. Most likely with a female person..

He seemed interested....that way.... with Irene, but I never could figure out if it was the sex that got him all riled up or the intriguing idea of getting it on with someone on his intellectual wavelength.

There are a couple of things in the show that they've had Sherlock do that just do not sit well with me. One is the whole Irene thing, mostly because she was a criminal, a professional sex worker, and available to the highest bidder. IMO totally amoral. I do not see Sherlock as amoral. He may have chosen to be asexual (or perhaps he was born with that orientation-- I don't know the psychology behind that), but I don't see him as amoral or for sale in any way. (John's always relieved to see some money come in, but I suspect it's because he's the only one who checks the mail and sees the FINAL NOTICE bills come in!) And the other thing that bothered me was Sherlock-about-to-take-that-pill from the taxi driver-- if John hadn't killed the guy, I wonder, was Sherlock really going to take a chance with his life, just for a hoot, because he's bored? That, to me, is stupid, not sociopathic. ????  Again, the psychology is lost on me. If he's truly that bored, maybe he should find someone to f***.

And what started this long post was your statement that if he does have experience, most likely it was with a female person. Why? Because of Irene?  If TV dramas were different, if they weren't so scared of offending someone, I could absolutely have seen the Irene character played by a guy. Why not? I realize original canon had Irene as a woman, but in 1880 or whenever it was, there were no gay storylines or characters in popular literature. Hey, it's 2012!

You have this kind of pull--  like gravity.  I'm so lucky that I fell into your orbit.
Joan Watson to Sherlock Holmes, Elementary, 2.24

July 25, 2012 5:52 am  #40

He must've.. probably in school.. He has strong opinions about women..likes to stay away from them.. so there must be some solid reason for that.. I think he's had a past.. maybe no sexual relationship...but jst a school/college crush or a gf..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

July 25, 2012 7:06 am  #41

Somehow I cannot imagine him having a girlfriend. To me he doesn't seem like a man who's experienced negative or hurtful things with a girl or a woman but really like someone who's shut off himself from his feelings in order to concentrate on his work. On the other hand it may be that he's been hurt in other ways, by people telling him to piss off or making fun of him. Kids can be cruel towards outsiders and you can imagine what it must have been like at school for him.
But that's of course pure speculation - like almost everything in connection with his youth. We only have the few hints like Seb's "We hated him" and the famous "piss off" and Mycroft's constant worrying him to go on.

------------------------------

It's so sad that Turing couldn't live with his own way of loving … It is Turing who needs to
forgive, not for us or society to pardon him. (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. And I'm also a great believer in
treating others as you would like to be treated. (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/TIG/534562b4-ac92-4d4a-a673-dd8a73c67655_zps9c021a04.png http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a503/susigo1/2db8465a-9bcd-4b12-8659-23685990fd00_zps6ac94adf.jpg

July 25, 2012 7:52 am  #42

Sherlock was very much a man of his time (Victorian England, well, and now contemporary London).

I have read fantastic fanfiction on this subject but statistically it is still more likely that he is not queer.

Mind you, part of the immense fascination with this BBC version is obviously the fact that he kinda plays Sherlock queer 

July 25, 2012 8:19 am  #43

I personally don't think that he has ever had a relationship of that kind with anyone.
I do think that there must have been some traumatic experience that made him shut off his feelings the way he does, but I think he gained all his knowledge about people's relationships around him (referring especially to Sebastian here) from intense observations he was able to make due to his exclusion from society because of his unique character.

I think he has therefore always known people without really interacting with them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

July 25, 2012 10:09 am  #44

SusiGo wrote:

...but really like someone who's shut off himself from his feelings in order to concentrate on his work. On the other hand it may be that he's been hurt in other ways, by people telling him to piss off or making fun of him.

Picking up on this perhaps this is some of the attraction of Irene Adler. The first part of your statement could equally apply to her couldn't it. She has shut off her feelings in order to concentrate on her work. The second part is relevant because she does not tell him to piss off or make fun of him. In fact when they first meet she wants to know how the hiker died. She is interested in how Sherlock's mind works and he is interested in how her mind works too.

Another similarity is that she looks after herself. She makes her own way in the world. Sherlock is much the same.

Ever had a relationship...really...is that very likely? What evidence do we have for it?

Last edited by Davina (July 25, 2012 10:10 am)

July 25, 2012 10:57 am  #45

"Ever had a relationship...really...is that very likely? What evidence do we have for it? "

1. The fact that Sherlock is a human being (though probably with A.).

2. He is too bloody darn curious!

Board footera