BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2013 6:15 pm  #1

Small Island

Please correct me if there is already a thread for this BBC 2009 film. It's based on the award-winning novel by Andrea Levy. 

It tells the story of two couples - Queenie and Bernard from London and Hortense and Gilbert from Jamaica - during and immediately after WW2. Bernard is a conservative and restrained man living with his father who is traumatised from WW1 and doesn't speak. Bernard falls in love with the lively, unconventional Queenie and marries her. Hortense grows up in Jamaica, trains as a teacher and dreams of going to Britain. She marries the former Jamaican soldier Gilbert and moves to London. They both come to live with Queenie whose husband has going AWOL …

It's a film about dreams, the trauma of war and the prejudiced treatment British citizens from Jamaica suffered during the post-war era. It tells about dark times but is never depressing. 

Benedict manages to give the basically unlovable character of Bernard depth and humanity (as he always does). It's a smaller role but he has some very good scenes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2013 6:27 pm  #2

Re: Small Island

Loved the book, haven't seen the film yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 1, 2013 6:40 pm  #3

With me it's the other way around. But it felt like a good adaptation. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 4, 2013 5:53 pm  #4

Bumping this up...

I read the book in college, not long before this film was broadcast. I watched it because of the book and I enjoyed it. Now that I'm into Sherlock I'd love to see this again. I know it was released on DVD and I'm trying to find it (Amazon and Ebay aren't an option for me, but I'm keeping an eye out). There are some great DVD stores around where I live that stock older stuff at bargain prices  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 4, 2013 6:20 pm  #5

This one is also on my list. It seems interesting. And Mark Ryder has a tiny role in it, too. Two of my favourite actors in one film, that has to be good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

July 6, 2013 12:27 am  #6

From what I can remember, it was very good

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

March 10, 2014 11:12 am  #7

Just found this interesting interview with Benedict on the film and the character he plays:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/10_october/14/small5.shtml

March 10, 2014 11:29 am  #8

Thanks for that link, Susi!
It's quite interesting how well the film and especially the character of Bernard works, considering that they left a lot of things concerning him out. I didn't know that until now. But it seems a good decision that the viewer should only know as much about Bernard's fate as his wife.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 19, 2014 10:42 pm  #9

I watched the two episodes tonight, and I must say, it's one of the most gripping pieces of Benedict's that I've seen so far. Which is a little ironic, because he's not in it a terrible lot. I haven't read the book, so I can't compare the two, but I was really drawn in by the story and the struggles of these characters.

Benedict's role was quite a difficult one to play, I'm guessing, because you need to find something redeemable in a man who is made to not be liked by the audience even before we get to know his racist side. He seems to have a knack for picking these kinds of characters, because Parade's End comes to mind, as well as Khan and in a sense Assange as well. I'd like to think he likes a challenge.

But anyway, Small Island gets two thumbs up from me.

Last edited by TeeJay (April 19, 2014 10:43 pm)

April 20, 2014 3:36 pm  #10

What I love about many of his parts is that they allow him to show his human sides even if he plays a  character that is not really likeable. We do not get to know much about Bernard but his shy way of wooing Queenie and the fact that he has been living alone with a shell-shocked father possibly for more than twenty years evoke sympathy and compassion in the viewer. (Besides, I love his looks in this film). 

However, I would not compare Bernard or Khan with Christopher Tietjens who may be stubborn as hell but who is basically a man trying to live up to his ideals even if they seem outdated. But then nobody says it better than Benedict himself:

“He’s (Christopher Tietjens) just sort of unfathomably generous and patient and yet really quietly courageous. He doesn’t suffer hypocrisy or fools gladly. He doesn’t betray himself or his ideals for any quick fixes. He’s just a good human being. I’ve got a very big affection for that man. If I can live a life half as good as his, I will know I have done alright."

Last edited by SusiGo (April 20, 2014 3:59 pm)

April 20, 2014 4:24 pm  #11

Yes, I fully agree, and I didn't mean to imply that Bernard and Christopher were alike. What I was trying to say is that most of the characters I've seen Benedict play are very much flawed, but there's always a human side to them that he manages to bring out and make us viewers find something likeable or at least forgivable in the person. They're all complicated characters, but all very believable and very human. (Except for Khan, who's... well... superhuman.)

April 20, 2014 4:31 pm  #12

TeeJay wrote:

They're all complicated characters, but all very believable and very human. (Except for Khan, who's... well... superhuman.)

But Benedict even manages to make superhuman Khan appear human to the audience. He gets Khan's reasons for doing what he's doing across in a way that makes me go "Yes, I understand. I probably wouldn't take action in the same way, but I understand."

As for Bernard, I love the fact that it's not just black or white with him. There are several layers to that character (as should be the case with all characters we see in movies or read about in books, of course), and while I tend not to like him very much in one scene, this can change completely in the next scene. And the scene in the kitchen, when he tells Queenie what happened to him... brings tears to my eyes every single time I watch it.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 20, 2014 5:06 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 20, 2014 4:42 pm  #13

And another character which comes to mind is James in Third Star. We are feeling for him and yet he has his flaws. He is never turned into a martyr, you never just think "poor guy" because he sometimes behaves in a appalling way and yet he evokes empathy and understanding. 

April 20, 2014 5:10 pm  #14

Very true. His way of telling his friends the honest truth about what he thinks about them and what they're doing with their lives is quite hard to take at times - but then again, you understand where he's coming from and why he's pissed.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 20, 2014 5:10 pm)

April 23, 2014 11:07 am  #15

I liked Benedict's Bernard very much, although I had this rather curious impression that he made his character almost TOO sympathetic. I didn't manage to have much sympathy for Queenie, while I think I should have sided with her desire of emancipation and freedom. Instead I was feeling for "poor" Bernard and found Queenie not very likeable character. Objectively, in the real life I would probably find Bernard an incredibly boring and iritating person, and be frustrated with him just like Queenie was

March 8, 2015 9:42 am  #16

I finished watching Small Island today, what a brilliant miniseries. I was fascinated by Queenie's and Hortense's stories, and the glimpse I got of the history of Jamaican immigrants in England. I'm so glad that -- through my current binge-watching of everything that Benedict has been in that I can find -- I'm getting to watch such wonderful films. I'm thoroughly impressed with everything I've seen of Benedict's work - he obviously chooses his parts very carefully, with an eye for quality scripts, direction and production.

I actually liked Bernard quite a bit, despite his being an intolerant racist, I think he was on his way to redeeming himself and changing his attitudes by the end of the film. I agree with what has been said already in this thread: Benedict has a talent for playing nuanced, layered, even contradictory characters you can't help feeling for (except maybe for Paul Marshall in Atonement).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera