BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2014 6:48 pm  #381

Re: Recently watched movies.

So many good movies mentioned I really want to see!  Watched something a little out of my usual the other day, since a friend was really excited to show me something different.  'Europa Report'.  In the vein of more 'classic' sci-fi… our world, in an indeterminate year, thrilled to be sending a manned crew further than before to Jupiter's moon, Europa, to investigate the possibility of "life" due to Europa's unique physical make-up.  Filmed like a documentary/self-made video, and very good at the use of suspense and 'what if' discovery instead of just being a sci-fi monster movie.  Pleasantly surprised by how much enjoyed the idea and style, since it was independently made and don't usually go for movies like that… would recommend to anyone who likes that kind of stuff.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 8, 2014 1:20 pm  #382

Russell wrote:

So many good movies mentioned I really want to see! Watched something a little out of my usual the other day, since a friend was really excited to show me something different. 'Europa Report'. In the vein of more 'classic' sci-fi… our world, in an indeterminate year, thrilled to be sending a manned crew further than before to Jupiter's moon, Europa, to investigate the possibility of "life" due to Europa's unique physical make-up. Filmed like a documentary/self-made video, and very good at the use of suspense and 'what if' discovery instead of just being a sci-fi monster movie. Pleasantly surprised by how much enjoyed the idea and style, since it was independently made and don't usually go for movies like that… would recommend to anyone who likes that kind of stuff.

Oh!  That is in my Netflix que.  Really want to watch it.

Saw Captain America - Winter Soldier yesterday.  It was excellent!  I just love Chris Evans as the Capt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 9, 2014 5:49 pm  #383

tonnaree wrote:

Oh!  That is in my Netflix que.  Really want to watch it.

Saw Captain America - Winter Soldier yesterday.  It was excellent!  I just love Chris Evans as the Capt.

Yes!  Cool.  You came across it by chance or something, too?  Like I said above, being an independent film, plus something I wouldn't usually pick up, hadn't even heard of it.  But my friend's really into classic-style sci-fi like that, and was intrigued by the 'realistic' concept, then kept bugging me to not being nervous about it being a 'scary home-movie' style thing like Blair Witch, it was simply 'suspenseful' and fascinating.  And I quite agree… think you'll like it. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

April 10, 2014 9:44 pm  #384

Well I've just had a Marvel week!

Because I kept seeing very sexy Loki pics I decided I HAD to see the character in action, but I had seen none of the movies connected to him or the SHIELD world. So...hubby and I have just watched -

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
and this evening - Avengers Assemble.

We loved them all!! And I now have a major Loki/Tom Hiddleston crush!
I'm going to buy Thor The Dark World now and then I'll be kinda up to date.
One thing that broke my heart though....

SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen Avengers Assemble...
the adorable Agent Coulson died!! *bursts into tears*
He was lovely.
I'm sooooo hoping that he hasn't really died and will be back in future movies!

April 11, 2014 4:56 am  #385

Aww… awesome.    Awesome 'franchise', isn't it??  What about Iron Man 3?  I just loved all the depth yet hilarious bits/one-liners thrown throughout, plus the style and all the individual characters.  Even funner seeing them all together in Avengers… can't wait for the next one.    And you guys watched all the infamous-fan-favorite after-the-credits scenes Marvel does too, right?  They just add to the fun.  Were you guys laughing just as much at some of Tony's lines, or Hulk's punches?

(SPOILERS BELOW, in response to 'Spoiler' comment, just in case??)

Aww… and hear you about Coulson!      But when Marvel decided the popularity of their stuff warranted a tv show dedicated just to the adventures of a small, elite S.H.I.E.L.D. team (you may have seen ads?), there was of course only one person perfect enough to lead it.  (hint hint)    (not sure if that translates to future movies, but you might like the show, anyway)

April 11, 2014 8:30 am  #386

Russell wrote:

Aww… awesome. Awesome 'franchise', isn't it?? What about Iron Man 3? I just loved all the depth yet hilarious bits/one-liners thrown throughout, plus the style and all the individual characters. Even funner seeing them all together in Avengers… can't wait for the next one. And you guys watched all the infamous-fan-favorite after-the-credits scenes Marvel does too, right? They just add to the fun. Were you guys laughing just as much at some of Tony's lines, or Hulk's punches?

(SPOILERS BELOW, in response to 'Spoiler' comment, just in case??)

Aww… and hear you about Coulson! But when Marvel decided the popularity of their stuff warranted a tv show dedicated just to the adventures of a small, elite S.H.I.E.L.D. team (you may have seen ads?), there was of course only one person perfect enough to lead it. (hint hint) (not sure if that translates to future movies, but you might like the show, anyway)

Yes, we really enjoyed them. And did see all the end credits.
Nope, we haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet. That will be soon though. After Thor 2.
Great to hear about the TV show...though sadly, we don't own a TV so can't watch it! But just knowing the adorable Coulson is still alive is good enough for me.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (April 11, 2014 8:31 am)

April 11, 2014 7:56 pm  #387

Spiral Staircase! So you too have been captured by the God of Mischief! I too am full of glorious purpose!  Thor: The Dark World is AMAZING! If Tom did not captivate you before he will do after watching this! Be prepared to kneel! 

Anyways...I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier on Tuesday. It was just great. I loved the fights (the choreography is superb) and the good old fashioned stunt work too. Chris has definitely been working out!  The Winter Soldier was really good too.

Next Monday I am off to watch David Tennant in Richard ll at the movies. It is a Royal Shakespeare Encore showing. I am really looking forward to this but am taking tissues since the last 'live' theatre I watched at the movies involved a lot of tears!

Last edited by Davina (April 11, 2014 7:58 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 11, 2014 8:35 pm  #388

Davina wrote:

Spiral Staircase! So you too have been captured by the God of Mischief! I too am full of glorious purpose! Thor: The Dark World is AMAZING! If Tom did not captivate you before he will do after watching this! Be prepared to kneel!

I have indeed - hee hee!
I've actually spent the last half hour watching funny Tom/Loki clips (sorry Ben!!!).
I'm hoping Thor - The Dark World will arrive tomorrow so that we can watch it in the evening. I need more Loki!!!!

April 11, 2014 10:52 pm  #389

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Davina wrote:

Spiral Staircase! So you too have been captured by the God of Mischief! I too am full of glorious purpose! Thor: The Dark World is AMAZING! If Tom did not captivate you before he will do after watching this! Be prepared to kneel!

I have indeed - hee hee!
I've actually spent the last half hour watching funny Tom/Loki clips (sorry Ben!!!).
I'm hoping Thor - The Dark World will arrive tomorrow so that we can watch it in the evening. I need more Loki!!!!

Ha!  Yes!!  (don't worry… your secret's safe with me…)     
(because believe you me, even after the movies, and clips of how fun Tom is, I was fully prepared to kneel, not to mention be totally jealous, of those who got to hear him 'live' at the last ComicCon… don't suppose you came across that one, mm?) 

April 12, 2014 11:54 am  #390

Russell wrote:

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Davina wrote:

I have indeed - hee hee!

Ha! Yes!! (don't worry… your secret's safe with me…)
(because believe you me, even after the movies, and clips of how fun Tom is, I was fully prepared to kneel, not to mention be totally jealous, of those who got to hear him 'live' at the last ComicCon… don't suppose you came across that one, mm?)

Was it the clip where he comes out on stage as Loki and shouts 'Say my name?' Because that was  so fun to watch!

April 12, 2014 10:48 pm  #391

SpiralStaircase wrote:

Was it the clip where he comes out on stage as Loki and shouts 'Say my name?' Because that was  so fun to watch! 

Yes!!    Oh man, I was helplessly grinning the whole time, after being all curiously "whaat?!" when heard that story come out.  Those lucky lucky Hall H 'victims' of such a cool surprise prank.  And that he agreed to come visit in character!  You could see him grinning once, working to stay as Loki, but still had everyone completely 'obeying'.    Hopefully you got the see the 'whole' thing… I remember finding a few videos that cut off right after his last 'name' shout.  Then he pauses while walking off, grins, and says 'It's true then.  I have an army.'

April 13, 2014 10:57 am  #392

I went to see "Divergent" yesterday, and I actually really liked it. I've read all three books, and I thought they stayed very true to them. I thought the visualization was perfect, and the actors were also picked well.

I have no idea how the movie will seem to someone not knowing the books, because there's quite a lot of background story and details that the movie just can't explain in the space of two hours. I think it may be a whole other experience for people who know the books than for those who don't.

Anyone else seen it?

April 13, 2014 2:31 pm  #393

Not yet but it looks interesting.

I did see the Loki captivates ComicCon clip. Hysterical! Kneel! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 13, 2014 2:33 pm  #394

I watched Philomena with my mother the other day. Gosh that's a great humour, a good subject and the humour of it was just great. I love the relationship between Philmomena and Martin! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 16, 2014 10:34 pm  #395

Just seen Thor - The Dark World!!
Really enjoyed it, though mainly for Loki (though I do like Thor too...but he's kinda boring in comparison, if ya know what I mean!).
Am soooooo in lust with Loki now - ha ha!!
And that scene of him in his prison cell looking all broken...omg...

April 17, 2014 10:40 am  #396

SpiralStaircase wrote:

And that scene of him in his prison cell looking all broken...omg...

Oh yes, that was devastating...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 20, 2014 10:22 am  #397

Philomena is a lovely film. So very funny. So very sad.

The prison cell...Loki...the blood on his foot really got to me. Broken like the furniture. 

April 20, 2014 11:03 pm  #398

Davina wrote:

Philomena is a lovely film. So very funny. So very sad.

Cool…. been curious to get around to this one!  'Lovely' is definitely the impression got… and you can't beat Judi Dench.
I finally sat down to Gravity the other night!  Been wondering for a while about all I heard with the depth and visuals of it.  And wow…. definitely 'wow' at how pretty it is!  And Sandra's always great… very good job in it.   Perhaps I'm not the only one who thought it felt totally different, too?  Not an exact beginning, climax, end… it just flowed along, until you were surprised it was over.

April 21, 2014 4:43 pm  #399

Her Irish accent is spot on throughout Philomena too.

April 22, 2014 7:27 am  #400

Went to see
yesterday and have still not fully recovered. Such a beautiful film!

Those who closely followed YSL's life and career might probably be a little disappointed because they will learn nothing new. But for someone who has never really been interested in YSL, it's definitely a biopic worth watching, and if only to get a general view of the great designer's life and to see Pierre Niney as YSL. And to listen to the great soundtrack. The scene where Patrick Watson's "Lighthouse" plays broke my heart.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

Board footera