BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2014 3:43 pm  #41

Re: The "state of her knees" line

Sorry BB.   *looks sheepish*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 3:48 pm  #42

Wait - I missing the subtext here. Dressing in a apron and scrubbing a colleague's floor is disgusting, but S- E -X isn't? Sorry, I must try harder to interpret the posts here. Lemme go make some notes.....

April 16, 2014 4:36 pm  #43

Both disgusting to me...
Tee hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2014 4:58 pm  #44

This is amazing. I've made a major breakthrough in the subtext of "the state of (Sally's) knees" and Sherlock's obsession with floors. Why does Sally call Sherlock "freak"? Maybe she knows something we don't know. Why is Sherlock always eager to get his snout up-close-and-personal with floors? Looking for clues? Please. Why did Sherlock notice the state of the killer's hyper-clean floors in The Great Game? Sherlock seeks to degrade Sally by making a sarcastic comment about the stage of her knees. Why? The evidence is piling up and it's all pointing in one direction. Maybe this will turn into fanfic, I don't know.

I have a lot of work to do, but trust me this is a big story. Laters,

April 16, 2014 5:01 pm  #45

Ha! Keep it for the fan fic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2014 6:47 pm  #46

Probably in a minority here but I didnt think that line was needed.  I didnt like it.  Could have been something a little more eloquent.

April 16, 2014 6:49 pm  #47

Got it.

April 16, 2014 6:52 pm  #48

Oh it was hilarious and  the put down Sally needed!

April 16, 2014 7:10 pm  #49

Sally is a prickly character. The actress( Vinette Robinson) who plays her has a challenging job. There is more to Sally than we think. Remember in the "The Sign of Three" the big opening set up was a hilarious subplot on the Waters gang repeatedly eluding Lestrade. Lestrade became increasingly frustrated, kicking tyres, slamming car doors on Sally's back side. etc. When Lestrade expressed hopelessness, Sally said "We'll just keep at it."

Finally the big payoff comes and they are ready to arrest the Waters gang. Sally is happy and calls Lestrade "boss" for the first time. She's proud of their accomplishment and wants Lestrade to make the arrest. Then Sherlock sends "help me!" text messages and a emotionally torn Lestrade decides to go help Sherlock and let Sally handle the arrest. The expression on Sally's face is priceless. She has her lips in a pout and she looks adorable. Once again Sherlock has jumped the queue. I have to see if there's  Sally Thread and move this convo there. I'd love to see her character developed. The actress who plays a character who is presented as abrasive and curt has a difficult job. Mad props to
Vinette Robinson.

I'm still learning my way round this board. bb, any suggestions where I can move this convo?
Thank you for being so gracious to a newbie.

April 16, 2014 7:12 pm  #50

Relax, you're doing fine!

April 16, 2014 7:17 pm  #51

I really disliked her character cos she called Sherlock the freak.  But i missed her in series3 and I too hope her character is developed further. Theyve said they will have more female characters in series 4. Wonder if there was anything between her and Sherlock ?

April 16, 2014 7:20 pm  #52

I don't really think Sherlock does relationships.
But if he did, I hope he'd have better taste than Sally.

April 16, 2014 7:32 pm  #53

I'd like to see Sally get a real story arc. Does she need a relationship with a man to do it? Not really.
The dynamic between Sherlock and Sally could change as we saw happened with Molly Hooper. One of the many things I love about Brit programmes is the fabulous actors. The women look like real women, not like the botoxed, surgically altered actresses one sees in American telly. Plus acting is a complex art requiring years of training and stage experience. Nobody does it better than the Brits.

April 16, 2014 7:44 pm  #54

Yes refreshing isnt it that the women look like real women.  Was she based on a character in the books or made up for BBC Sherlock?  As I say she was interesting character.  I like Anderson too he was funny in s3.  But in s1 he was hysterical!  Ilove the scene were he volunteers to do the drugs bust in ASIP.

April 16, 2014 7:47 pm  #55

I prefer S3 Anderson.

April 16, 2014 8:49 pm  #56

Conan Doyle had few (hardly any) female characters in his Sherlock Holmes series. Mrs. Hudson was the land lady, but not a major presence. Mary Morstan was a damsel in distress who wound up marrying Dr. Watson. Irene Adler was the only female character of any significance. So to answer your question Sally Donovan, Molly Hooper, and Janine are all new characters. Now I'm doing this by memory and not doing a thorough check. But bear in mind that I have been reading and re-reading Conan Doyle for 50 years or so.

In literary chat forums, I read and discuss many Victorian authors. The problem I have with Conan Doyle's stories (marvelous as they are) is that many of the women are two-dimensional characters who swoon and need their stays loosened by Dr. Watson. Doyle also had  propensity to write about hot blooded women of exotic extraction, or frankly ridiculous American characters who took up half the novel running around the Wild West. Now bear in mind, this is a frank, off the cuff assessment.

Doyle knew what his audience liked and he wrote of a world of gentlemen's clubs, hackney cabs, liveried servants, haughty heiresses, shifty untrustworthy ladies maids, and pure virginal corsetted gentlewoman who needed a protector. And Dr. Watson to administer brandy and loosen their stays. He also wrote non-Sherlock related stories, as I'm sure you know.

The creators of this series ("Sherlock") have said in interviews that they wished to "fetishize" modern London as Conan Doyle fetishized Victorian England. Make of the comment what you will, but haven't they created something splendid? 

BTW the original stories are available on the internet for free, but I'm sure you know that too. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to your question.

April 16, 2014 8:50 pm  #57

I have been reading ' The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes'(for the 3rd time), on my e-reader.

April 16, 2014 9:12 pm  #58

No thank you Arabella for your considered and quite frankly great answer!  You're very knowledgeable and I know now if I need to ask a question you're the person to go to.  Cheers mate x

April 16, 2014 9:48 pm  #59

Thank you! I really try not to be too much of a mixer. I'm pushy and irreverent by nature and not everyone gets my humor. Some of my ideas are a bit barmy.

As I am a guest here it is down to me to learn how to behave properly. But I may slip the leash now and again. American, you know.

April 16, 2014 9:53 pm  #60

It's good to have you here!

Board footera