BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2014 6:35 am  #1

New Directions in Sherlock, April 11, 2014, Department of English, UCL

I posted this elsewhere on the board a few days ago, but in fact it should go in here:

https://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/node/55107

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/new-directions-in-sherlock-tickets-6900426361?aff=eorg

Certainly worth going.

Last edited by the_dancing_woman (February 4, 2014 6:55 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

February 18, 2014 9:12 am  #2

Re: New Directions in Sherlock, April 11, 2014, Department of English, UCL

Yeah, this was mentioned in the Fan Meet Ups section as quite a few of us appear to be going. I certainly am..

Who else is going? Perhaps we should meet up at lunchtime?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 20, 2014 9:36 am  #3

I'm going (most likely and hopefully) and it seems I'm also bringing somebody with me already.
I think besleybean is going to, if I remember correctly from the meet up thread. And somebody else also announced that he/she would like to come.
So, yeah, a lunch meet up of the board would be rather nice.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

March 21, 2014 6:44 am  #4

Yep, I'm coming!
Thanks, dancing woman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 21, 2014 6:47 am  #5

I think I'm coming too! Hoping to find someone to come along with me tho, bit scared to come up alone...

I'm clueing for looks

March 21, 2014 8:32 am  #6

God! Why can't they do this in France too?

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

April 12, 2014 10:33 pm  #7

There were a couple of newspaper articles released about the event, which I attended along with a few other forum members. We met up and had an excellent time. It was a great day.

This from the Gloucestershire Echo:
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Sherlock-TV-series-subject-international/story-20952566-detail/story.html?fb_action_ids=239981752851773&fb_action_types=og.likes

This from The Times:=small‘Loungers and idlers’ meet for 100 lessons on Sherlock Holmes=smallPatrick Kidd=small Published at 12:01AM, April 12 2014=smallOnly nine episodes of the BBC television series Sherlock have been made so far, yet they provided fertile enough ground for a day-long academic symposium yesterday at University College London, in a city that Dr John Watson once called “that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained”.=smallThree hundred of those loungers and idlers, if that is not too cruel a description of students on their Easter vacation, were drawn to hear 20 papers delivered by academics from around the world. A speaker from New Hampshire talked about “a Barthesian approach to adaptation and appropriation in Sherlock”, while one from Jagiellonian University in Krakow discussed Sherlock Holmes’s problem with women.=smallOther lectures looked at the accuracy of Sherlock’s London (or why Holmes took a Jubilee Line train to get between District Line stations in the third series) and tried to draw a parallel between the television series and “medieval quest narrative” (put simply, why Benedict Cumberbatch isn’t a drip like Sir Galahad).=smallTom Ue, a UCL student who is conducting a larger research project into the cultural legacy of Sherlock Holmes since his first appearance in 1887, organised the symposium and says it was a huge hit. “We had more than 100 papers submitted,” he said.=smallThe keynote address, entitled “Fighting paper dragons? The emergence of political ideology in Sherlock Series 3”, was delivered by Benjamin Poore, a lecturer in theatre studies at the University of York.=small“The third series is much more experimental,” Dr Poore said, although it drew an audience of 12 million when broadcast in January, the largest for a BBC drama since 2001.=small“After two series with a classic supervillain in Moriarty, the enemy now is a newspaper magnate.=small“The creators were accused of BBC bias by showing headlines criticising government policy, yet these may be the villain’s papers. The closer you look, the less clear it seems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 12, 2014 10:40 pm  #8

It was seriously fun! Lovely to put faces to names too!

I'm clueing for looks

April 13, 2014 7:18 am  #9

Good to meet people, sorry we only kind of waved and shouted ' hello', Clare!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 13, 2014 1:28 pm  #10

clareiow wrote:

It was seriously fun! Lovely to put faces to names too!

Ah yeah! And I was all like "WHERE IS THIS CLARE PERSON ANYWAY?!!"

April 13, 2014 3:17 pm  #11

That was so funny, we were like: has Clare gone?!

April 14, 2014 7:56 pm  #12

besleybean wrote:

That was so funny, we were like: has Clare gone?!

Yeah , me especially, rattling on about it while she was sitting right behind us. So much for my powers of observation...

I had a really good time, it was lovely to meet you all!

It was also a very interesting day. A lot of what was said there only really sank in after I'd gotten back home.

April 14, 2014 8:02 pm  #13

I didn't agree with everything that was said.
But as I remarked to the boss, good to have stuff that makes you think.
Also a testament to this body of work, that it can generate so much passionate discussion.

Last edited by besleybean (April 14, 2014 8:04 pm)

April 16, 2014 6:15 pm  #14

Yeah and I was waving frantically thinking....she doesn't like me then. Oh well, I'll just sit here quietly!

Sorry I had to dash off though, I had literally no money to get the tube, and I had to walk to Victoria. Took me FOREVER!

I didn't agree with everything, and a couple of the talks were a little repetitive, especially it's role in social media. For me the screenwriting talk with Bonnie was my favourite talk, I could have listened to her all day and learned so much.

I'm clueing for looks

April 16, 2014 6:19 pm  #15

Yes, some stuff was really informative.
Hey girl, I'd have paid your tube fare!

Board footera