BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2012 6:56 pm  #41

Re: Scenes Cut From U.S. Broadcast

I got my S2  dvd from costco here in the states,  and it's the full uncut versions..  ALL the parts missing frm the PBS  broadcast were left in. 

I live in USA  and  was disappointed that PBS had cut out some scenes.  the part with  john breaking up with jeannette  I  didn't care about,  so that's ok.  but the other parts they cut out--  I think they were important.   syfy channel often cuts out important scenes from Merlin,  BBCA  with dr who,  and THAT  makes me want to get the dvd's  or  rent them from netflix.  I  think that's the reasoining behind the tv airings of our fav shows.  It's not just the money they get,,  it's also the "go out and buy the dvd's too!!"  thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 27, 2012 2:40 am  #42

sherlockskitty wrote:

........  I  think that's the reasoining behind the tv airings of our fav shows.  It's not just the money they get,,  it's also the "go out and buy the dvd's too!!"  thing.

And that equates to .... money.

As for anything else I posted, I stand by it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 17, 2012 6:30 am  #43

LaconicLurker wrote:

....The production company cut some scenes--done, I suppose, to make the show fit in the Masterpiece Mystery! timeslot on PBS, which is shorter than the 90 full minutes.

Stupid American TV. *rolls eyes*

Thank God for DVDs is all I have to say.

April 15, 2014 7:35 pm  #44

It's unfortunate that we Yanks have trouble purchasing the full length DVD's. I think PBS is an important provider of quality programming. Yes, it's annoying that one has to buy the DVD's to see the uncut versions. But on the other hand, withouth PBS to introduce me to British productions, I wouldn't know about them. I agree that nobody does it better than the Brits. I have shelves of DVD's to attest to that.

I'm the kind of OCD viewer who watches programmes multiple times anyway, so I don't mind spending money on DVD's. But not all Americans are stoooooopid, yeah?

April 15, 2014 7:48 pm  #45

Arabella Trefoil wrote:

It's unfortunate that we Yanks have trouble purchasing the full length DVD's. I think PBS is an important provider of quality programming. Yes, it's annoying that one has to buy the DVD's to see the uncut versions. But on the other hand, withouth PBS to introduce me to British productions, I wouldn't know about them. I agree that nobody does it better than the Brits. I have shelves of DVD's to attest to that.

I'm the kind of OCD viewer who watches programmes multiple times anyway, so I don't mind spending money on DVD's. But not all Americans are stoooooopid, yeah?

Wow, this is an old thread you resurrected today. *smile*

Our DVDs are the same as everyone else's. It's just the S1 broadcast on PBS that was a bit cut to fit their format. AFAIK, S2 and 3 were shown in their entirety.  But anyway, our DVDs are just fine. And thank God for subtitles, because I don't always get their accents.  And no, not all Americans are stoopid, far from it.  heh

April 15, 2014 8:53 pm  #46

Sorry. I'm new here. Delighted to find such fine company. I have all three seasons on DVD and I watch them all the time. Wonderful stuff. Superb. And I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan for over 50 years. Bit tough to be a Merkin and try like, uh, to fit in. Y'know?

April 15, 2014 10:59 pm  #47

Arabella Trefoil wrote:

Sorry. I'm new here. Delighted to find such fine company. I have all three seasons on DVD and I watch them all the time. Wonderful stuff. Superb. And I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan for over 50 years. Bit tough to be a Merkin and try like, uh, to fit in. Y'know?

I'm glad you found us!  It's never too late, and you're welcome to comment on any thread that captures your interest. 

OMG, a Merkin.  I had to look it up, to see what you meant. ha ha  That's what Pres. Bush (the younger, I think) used to say, "I'm proud to be a merkin citizen."  heh

The majority of people are American here, actually.  There's a "where are you from?" thread that you can find where people talk about it. We outnumber the Brits, probably because there are 10 times as many of us to begin with, at least, that's my theory. There are lots of really fervent forum members who are German, and who speak inpeccable English, too. And of course fans are here from all over.

Anyway, enjoy!!

April 15, 2014 11:10 pm  #48

Thanks! There's no American like a Merkin. Merkins are meta-uber-Americans.

And I repeat my vow: If that body-fluid-oozing slime bucket CAM makes a miraculous come-back in Season 4, I will personally climb through the TV screen and kill him myself. Cuz I'm a Merkin, dammit!

Board footera