BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 11:37 am  #41

Re: Everything we need to know about Andrew Scott interviews and work

Ulysees is on Radio 4 now. Running from 9a.m. Until midnight. I am going to catch it later, in stages as it were, on I-player.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2012 12:53 pm  #42

More information about Andrew and Blackout, with some great details as to his detective character and what appealed to him about the part.

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/blackout/Scott.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 12:33 pm  #43

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-06-18/sherlock's-andrew-scott-to-star-in-new-itv-drama,-the-town

Sherlock's Andrew Scott to star in new ITV drama, The Town

Andrew Scott, who recently picked up a Bafta for his performance as Moriarty in BBC1’s Sherlock, is to star in a new ITV1 drama series, The Town.

The 35-year-old actor will play Mark, who is called back to his home town of Renton after ten years away by a shocking family incident.

Mark's relationship with his parents has always been strained, he barely knows his teenage sister and his grandmother (Julia McKenzie) is now living in his old bedroom.

Meanwhile, he must get reacquainted with old drinking friends Lucy (Kelly Adams), Carly (Aisling Bea), and Jeff (Sam Troughton) as well as come to terms with the fact that his first love Alice (Charlotte Riley) is married with a child.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 1:14 pm  #44

Busy boy! Looking forward to seeing this series.

June 26, 2012 7:18 pm  #45

There is another interview with Andrew in the week's Radio Times. I will tryNand get a copy tomorrow and post anything interesting for you here.

June 26, 2012 9:10 pm  #46

Some stunningly beautiful new photos here.

http://magazine.topman.com/issue-6/andrew-scott

June 26, 2012 10:21 pm  #47

Just read this on Tumblr, Andrew Scott on his well deserved BAFTA success

“I was delighted to be nominated and very shocked to win. I didn’t even prepare a speech, just the names of people I wanted to thank - it was a great night. When they said my name I turned round to give Benedict a hug but there was a seat filler guy in his place because they had taken him up to present Steven Moffat’s award, so I was like, ‘Benedict looks different. Oh no, you’re not Benedict!† I thought I was losing my mind. I think the other guy got a bit of a fright too!â€

- Andrew Scott [x]

June 28, 2012 12:16 pm  #48

Blackout

Category: BBC One; Drama
Christopher Eccleston is joined by Dervla Kirwan (Injustice, The Silence) and Ewen Bremner (Page Eight, Perfect Sense) in this original three-part drama for BBC One, produced by Red Production Company (Exile, Single Father).

Also starring are Bafta winner Andrew Scott (Sherlock, The Hour), Lyndsey Marshal (Garrow’s Law, Being Human), Rebecca Callard (32 Brinkburn Street, Robin Hood), MyAnna Buring (The Twilight Saga, Any Human Heart) and Branka Katic (The Jury II, Big Love).

Blackout -New three-part drama for BBC One- Interview with Andrew Scott

(part of interview) Could you tell us about your character Detective Bevan and his role in Blackout?

Bevan is a very elusive character. I would say that after Sherlock I was looking to do something quite different and I suppose if Moriarty is a winner in certain aspects then you could say that Bevan would be perceived as a bit of a loser. He finds it very difficult to get on at work and also at home. He comes from a broken home, he’s been separated from his wife and kids for some time and he’s quite a sad character. The interesting thing about it for me is that he’s always changing. He’s a very surprising character in that sense. In one scene he’s a loser and then in another scene you might see him differently. He’s good at his job but underappreciated at the same time. He’s a kind of fascinating character to play and quite melancholy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 28, 2012 4:15 pm  #49

Here is the full interview with Andrew in The Radio Times this week.
Moriarty comes good
Andrew Scottdiscovers life after Sherlock

Blackout
Monday 9.00pm BBC1

TWO YEARS AGO, few outside theatre-land knew who Andrew Scott was. Now the problem is trying to get his face out of your head. As Moriarty in Sherlock, Scott's recasting of Holmes's nemesis into a very modern psychopath has not only won him a best supporting actor Bafta: it's gone straight into the pantheon of mesmerising super-villains. When Scott walks into a room you see the effect. It's not just that heads turn, people look concerned for their safety.
  He says he always gets this now: "Mostly people are really nice. But they always have an extreme reaction- people can be extraordinarily unsubtle."
  The problem with a stand-out role like Moriarty is putting it behind you. Scott says that over the past year he has been asked to play all manner of stone-eyed crazies. "I've avoided all the psycho parts. I think it is important to stretch yourself, so in a strange way you sort of start again."
  That new start begins with Blackout, BBC1s three-part drama. Christopher Ecclestone plays Daniel Demoys, a corrupt, alcoholic council official who somehow becomes a local hero. Scott is Dalien Bevan, a bleary detective who smells a rat and makes it his mission to unmask him.
  "Bevan's not very popular at work", says Scott. "He's separated from his wife, melancholy, slightly vunable. He's what you'd describe as a loser."
  That sets him squarely against his Sherlock role. "Moriarty believes he's a winner. He's very confident. Bevan is someone who isn't. They're both edgy characters but it's nice to pay someone who has a completely different energy."
  But what is it about the affable Irishman that made him so Bafta-Bly potent as Moriarty...has he always had the ability to scare people?
  "Errrrr, ha! I suppose I have! Maybe I get to draw that dark side out in my work a wee bit with Moriarty. Acting, the great pleasure of it, is you get to explore different parts of your personality while remaining intact yourself. I'm not like Moriarty but I'm a bit wary of saying that- because I think the thing that I used within Moriarty was myself. So there has to be that element to me."
  Programme-makers know when they are onto a good thing- it's inconceivable that having happened upon a performance like Scott's the writers of Sherlock would jettison him for the third series, which goes into production next year. Scott raises one potential snag: "Moriarty is dead." but then Sherlock himself ended last series without a pulse and we know he will be resurrected.
  "Well. that's the only thing I can tell you," he says, with a half-smile: I'm not sure what it means, but I know not to ask again. Benjii Wilson

June 28, 2012 4:35 pm  #50

You didn't type it up again, Davina, did you?!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 28, 2012 4:58 pm  #51

Yes because I actually don't have a clue on how to scan it on one computer and then transfer it. I know...laugh at me! I have learnt to do lots of clever things on here but sadly I am lacking in what I know are some basic skills! I enjoy typing though and luckily I am very quick at it, so that helps. Bit old-tech me!

June 28, 2012 5:01 pm  #52

Oh! You're so lovely! I'll make sure to read it loads of times to make your efforts worth it!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 28, 2012 10:20 pm  #53

Thank you. I think an American might call me 'quaint'! Lol

July 2, 2012 4:15 am  #54

I watched Dead Bodies a few weeks ago, it was good. Weird and totally up my alley. And then I saw Silent Things. Ah-MAY-zing. Andrew Scott is brilliant. And I mean that in a totally non Arthur's-only-descriptive kind of way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

July 3, 2012 12:55 pm  #55

Blackout aired on BBC1 last night. It began with 5 million viewers but this did drop to 4.3million by the end credits.

July 3, 2012 5:29 pm  #56

I meant to watch it last night, but couldn't get to the stupid thing in time. So now I have to wait for Hubster to come home tomorrow off duty so we can watch it then

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

July 3, 2012 5:47 pm  #57

Anyone know when Blackout might be coming to the US, maybe as a PBS Masterpiece Mystery? I'd love to see Andrew in something else. We know he can do more than crazy. He was unbelievably believable as Richard Brook. I could hardly believe it was the same actor as was playing Moriarty. (But, don't worry, I never lost my faith in Sherlock.)

July 13, 2012 11:49 am  #58

Andrew is back on BBC Radio 4 again on Saturday (tomorrow at 14.30. He is playing the part of Jerry in Harlod Pinter's acclaimed play 'Betrayal'. This is a drama about a love affair and the intricate nature of deceit which is told in reverse time from its poignant ending to its thrilling first kiss.

July 14, 2012 8:15 am  #59

kazza474 wrote:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-06-18/sherlock's-andrew-scott-to-star-in-new-itv-drama,-the-town

Sherlock's Andrew Scott to star in new ITV drama, The Town
Andrew Scott, who recently picked up a Bafta for his performance as Moriarty in BBC1’s Sherlock, is to star in a new ITV1 drama series, The Town.
The 35-year-old actor will play Mark, who is called back to his home town of Renton after ten years away by a shocking family incident.
Mark's relationship with his parents has always been strained, he barely knows his teenage sister and his grandmother (Julia McKenzie) is now living in his old bedroom.
Meanwhile, he must get reacquainted with old drinking friends Lucy (Kelly Adams), Carly (Aisling Bea), and Jeff (Sam Troughton) as well as come to terms with the fact that his first love Alice (Charlotte Riley) is married with a child.

More on this now:

Scott, Clunes for ITV's The Town

Sherlock's Andrew Scott will join Julia McKenzie and Martin Clunes in a new three-part drama for ITV.
The Town also stars Wuthering Heights actress Charlotte Riley, Shameless star Gerard Kearns and Hustle's Kelly Adams.
The drama tells the story of Mark Nicholas - played by Andrew, best known for his role as Jim Moriarty in Sherlock - who returns to the town of Renton where he grew up.
Mark's drawn back to his old life but finds it hard to reconnect with his family, friends and first love Alice (Riley), who's now married with a child.
As the story unfolds, Mark must decide if he can build a new life in this strange place that he once called home.
Meanwhile, Martin Clunes plays the town's local mayor, who stumbles from one PR disaster to another.
Kenton Allen, co-executive producer, said: "At the heart of The Town will be a family struggling to come to terms with change.
"The story takes place in a landscape familiar to most of the UK - most of the population live their lives in a place like Renton."
The Town is currently filming in High Wycombe

Another story about it here:
Andrew Scott, Martin Clunes and More to Star in ITV’s New Drama The Town

Scott, who recently won a BAFTA for his portrayal of Holmes’ nemesis Moriarty, will play Mark Nicholas, a man who returns to his hometown after ten years away and struggles to reconnect with those he left behind – including his family, friends and former sweetheart, who is now married with a child. MacKenzie plays his grandmother Betty, Riley is his first love Alice, and Clunes is the town’s alcohol-soaked mayor, Len.

The Town is being written by Laurence Olivier award-winning playwright Mike Bartlett and produced by Big Talk Productions, the company behind Rev, Friday Night Dinner and Him & Her. (All of which are outstanding programs, so this bodes well!)
“We’re thrilled to be making our first original drama series for the fantastic team at ITV. At the heart of The Town will be a family struggling to come to terms with change,"  said Big Talk’s CEO and The Town’s co-executive producer Kenton Allen. “It’s also our hope to paint a picture of contemporary Britain through the magnifying glass of an ordinary market town."             
“These communities are desperate for a sense of purpose and direction. They face the same challenges we all do. A shrinking economy, under-employment, crime and a struggle to educate our children. Mike's real skill is to craft a compelling and entertaining drama at the heart of such a world,"  added co-executive producer Simon Curtis.

Filming on the three-part series began this week. No word yet on possible screening dates in the UK, nor whether this series will be broadcast internationally. Here’s hoping that US Sherlock-mania will help bring this drama across the pond!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 14, 2012 10:04 am  #60

Saturday Drama - Betrayal

Harold Pinter's acclaimed drama about a love affair and the intricate nature of deceit which is told in reverse time from its poignant ending to its thrilling first kiss.

Emma ..... Olivia Colman
Jerry ..... Andrew Scott
Robert ..... Charles Edwards
Waiter ..... Gerard McDermott

Produced/directed by Gaynor Macfarlane

Harold Pinter was born in London in 1930. His writing career spanned over 50 years and produced 29 original stage plays, 27 screenplays, many dramatic sketches, radio and TV plays, poetry, one novel, short fiction, essays, speeches, and letters. In 2005 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature and, in the same year, the Wilfred Owen Award for Poetry and the Franz Kafka Award (Prague). In 2006 he was awarded the Europe Theatre Prize and, in 2007, the highest French honour, the Légion d'honneur. He died in December 2008.

Andrew Scott recently won the BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor.

BROADCAST
Sat 14 Jul 2012   14:30BBC Radio 4

I THINK that makes it about 11:30am Saturday nightfor me, lol.
Meh! What are weekends for huh?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

Board footera