BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2014 2:37 am  #1

No Police Like Holmes

I just finished reading No Police Like Holmes, about a mystery at a Sherlock Holmes colloquium. Publication date: 2011. 

Many characters are dedicated Sherlockians, as in, members of BSI or scion societies.

At one point, the characters are discussing actors who have played Holmes, and these include Basil Rathbone, Arthur Wontner, Jeremy Brett, Robert Downey Jr., "and somebody named Cumberbatch."

It's kind of wild to realize that the BBC series and the Guy Ritchie movies have been around long enough that other books have been published referring to them. 

But here's what really funny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 2011 is earlier than BBC-Reichenbach?

Well, as you may know, one of the "creeds" of Sherlock Holmes societies is that Holmes was a histroical figure, not a fictional character. Exhibit A:

http://members.toast.net/stormypetrels/

So, some of the characters who are members of those kinds of societies wear buttons that say....

Sherlock Holmes Lives!

April 18, 2014 8:49 pm  #2

Re: No Police Like Holmes

Huh… sounds interesting!   And I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Lives' tagline was meant as a nod to that long-held belief. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 19, 2014 12:21 am  #3

Russell wrote:

Huh… sounds interesting! And I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Lives' tagline was meant as a nod to that long-held belief.

Which giving a nod to which? BBC's Reichenbach hadn't happened yet when this book was written, I don't think.

April 19, 2014 3:07 am  #4

Sorry…  I meant the writers of Sherlock being long-time fans, so knowing about that belief, and nicely working in the whole 'Sherlock Lives' idea, too.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera