BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2014 7:15 am  #1

Banner ad

I've noticed the new banner ad that appeared on the forum yesterday. Is it just a problem with my adblock software, or can everybody see it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 22, 2014 7:28 am  #2

Re: Banner ad

Nope, here too.   I immediately figured it was a Boardhost thing (and annoyedly thought 'really, guys?')…  not sure if can turn off.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 22, 2014 8:01 am  #3

I could see it and blocked it via AdBlock. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2014 9:07 am  #4

I can only second SusiGo. If you have a browser that supports ad-blocking software, I recommend you install a plugin like AdBlock and simply block the ad.

If it's a webhost thing, then it's probably not likely you can switch it off without paying money. Free message board hosts do that kind of thing to be able to afford the free webspace they're offering, and I think it's only fair since they offer you a service for free.

January 22, 2014 9:19 am  #5

Thanks! I am bit confused now because I already use AdBlock Plus, but maybe I need to reconfigure it.

edit: I needed to klick on the banner ad and tell Adblock to block it. "Problem" solved, thank you!

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 22, 2014 9:24 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 22, 2014 10:38 am  #6

Yeah, it's a boardhost thing. Definitely not something I've implicated, lol. Thanks for telling us how to block it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 23, 2014 2:27 am  #7

Yes, it broke my heart to suddenly see advertising on our beautiful, pristine Board.   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

April 12, 2014 4:40 pm  #8

You know, I just had a thought, and obviously this is just an idea, but let me throw it out there anyway. The banner ad on the forum is obviously part of the Boardhost site, the service provider that offers the webspace for this forum. All free forums have a banner ad, and the only way to get rid of it (short of using an ad blocker) is to switch to a paid service.

I looked into this, and Boardhost offers several plans with different features. The cheapest one is $5.49 (~3.95€ or ~£3.20) a month. I've seen it on other forums or privately funded fansites that users rallied and collectively sponsored something that would offer a mutual gain for everyone. If 25 people all gave 2 Euros each, we'd have an ad-free message board for a whole year.

Now, I don't know if it's important enough to the forum members to have an ad-free forum that they want to spend money to make that happen. But if we did, one way to do it is to set up a PayPal account where everyone can give as much as they wish to spare until there's enough to pay for one of the Boardhoast plans.

Again, it was just an idea that occurred to me the other day. I'm perfeclty happy to keep things as they are, because I use an ad blocker, which works very well. But that might not work for everyone, so here's a possible solution. Of course it'd also have to be endorsed by our forum admin, since she's the one who'd have to handle all the technical bits and bobs...

Last edited by TeeJay (April 12, 2014 4:42 pm)

April 12, 2014 10:27 pm  #9

Well, I wouldn't mind doing something like that. There's a few other features that you get by becoming a full member as well but it's entirely up to everyone else really. I don't get any ads because I use an ad blocker and I think most people do so I'm not sure it would be really worth it.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 12, 2014 10:29 pm  #10

I don't have adblock but I don't mind the banner... it's not as bad as some places really. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera