BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2013 4:40 pm  #141

Re: Find the original & post other nods to the canon (merged topic)

Be wrote:

In TRF on the roof Moriarty points out that Sherlock's weakness is that he wants everything to be clever.

In ABBE he himself knd of says it

"Perhaps, when a man has special knowledge and special powers like my own, it rather encourages him to seek a complex explanation when a simpler one is at hand."

June 12, 2013 10:49 am  #142

In ASiP the crucial clue is the pink case. Sherlock was aware that it was a missing piece of the puzzle. The cabby took it accidentally. Sherlock (through John) called him to collect it at 22 Northumberland Street.

In TGG the crucial clue connected to Moriarty is the pair of trainers. The trainers were missing. No sign of the shoes in the locker. Sherlock sent a message to Moriarty via posting on the website: Found. Pair of trainers. Apply Baker Street.

In A Study in Scarlet this is the relevant part:

"I can understand. There is a mystery about this which stimulates the imagination; where there is no imagination there is no horror. Have you seen the evening paper?"
"No."
"It gives a fairly good account of the affair. It does not mention the fact that when the man was raised up, a woman's wedding ring fell upon the floor. It is just as well it does not."
"Why?"
"Look at this advertisement," he answered. "I had one sent to every paper this morning immediately after the affair."
He threw the paper across to me and I glanced at the place indicated. It was the first announcement in the "Found" column. "In Brixton Road, this morning," it ran, "a plain gold wedding ring, found in the roadway between the 'White Hart' Tavern and Holland Grove. Apply Dr. Watson, 221B, Baker Street, between eight and nine this evening."

June 12, 2013 10:54 pm  #143

Great catch Be! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2013 7:23 am  #144

Easy peasy. The task is to find the missing thing in TRF.

There's the scarlet thread of murder running through the colorless skein of life, and our duty is to unravel it, and isolate it, and expose every inch of it.

Holmes in A Study in Scarlet

July 16, 2013 5:44 am  #145

In the Adventure of the Creeping Man (which FYI has the best title) it says 'Come at once if convenient - if inconvenient come all the same - SH'

================================================================

July 16, 2013 2:55 pm  #146

Not the best title...

'The Cardboard box' 'The Second Stain' 'The Speckled Band'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

July 16, 2013 11:50 pm  #147

Jacco111 wrote:

Not the best title...

'The Cardboard box' 'The Second Stain' 'The Speckled Band'

Such good titles. I just love how obvious the titles are. Guess what the Creeping Man is about? Yep.

================================================================

July 18, 2013 8:32 am  #148

Michele wrote:

Such good titles. I just love how obvious the titles are. Guess what the Creeping Man is about? Yep.

About a guy injecting himself with hormones of a monkey. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

August 16, 2013 1:49 pm  #149

I read The Illustrious Client yesterday and found this quote which reminds me of Sherlock and John and their last conversation before the fall in the lab.

There was a curious secretive streak in the man which led to many dramatic effects, but left even his closest friend guessing as to what his exact plans might be. He pushed to an extreme the axiom that the only safe plotter was he who plotted alone. I was nearer him than anyone else, and yet I was always conscious of the gap between.

August 17, 2013 1:41 pm  #150

Be wrote:

I read The Illustrious Client yesterday and found this quote which reminds me of Sherlock and John and their last conversation before the fall in the lab.

There was a curious secretive streak in the man which led to many dramatic effects, but left even his closest friend guessing as to what his exact plans might be. He pushed to an extreme the axiom that the only safe plotter was he who plotted alone. I was nearer him than anyone else, and yet I was always conscious of the gap between.

Hence one more reason to explain away Sherlock's action of not taking John into confidence in the final episode. In Final Problem, SH didn't plot that much and keep Watson in dark about them. Of course he made Watson believe that he's dead. But they were not that much premeditated.

January 18, 2014 5:03 pm  #151

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already but when in SiB Sherlock and John are walking through a theater:
SH: So what're you going to call this one? "The Belly-Button Murders"?
JW: Uhm....."The Navel Treatment"? (After "The Naval Treaty)

Last edited by Golddragon71 (January 18, 2014 5:04 pm)

"I am Lost without my Blogger!"

January 22, 2014 3:31 am  #152

holmes23 wrote:

Be wrote:

Hence one more reason to explain away Sherlock's action of not taking John into confidence in the final episode. In Final Problem, SH didn't plot that much and keep Watson in dark about them. Of course he made Watson believe that he's dead. But they were not that much premeditated.

In the above quote, Watson is accepting Holmes' is secretiveness because he feels secure that he is the closest to Holmes of anyone, and that if Holmes is a little less secretive with anyone, it will be with him. In canon, Holmes didn't tell Watson he wasn't dead...but absolutely the ONLY person who did know was Mycroft. I think a big part of the issue for John in BBC- Empty Hearse is that a LOT of people knew but NOT him.

January 22, 2014 6:47 am  #153

Tho he should use his brain to realise it would need planning!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 4, 2014 8:32 pm  #154

well.. I've tried to ensure I won't be redundant in my comments but it's more than possible I will be..  sorry.. I may try to go last epi to first epi maybe not all at one go
HLV
1) when Sherlock freezes in HLV, it's reminiscent of the moment in Silver Blaze when he realizes his reliance on press reports have led him in the wrong direction                                                       
2)  Molly's tirade is of course almost  word for word Watson's tirade against Sherlock                      
3) brother mine is a canon phrase between Mycroft and Sherlock i believe
Sof3
1) the Jones that will get the credit if Lestrade leaves is a nod to Athelney Jones another DI in canon
2) his wedding speech, so many phrases straight out of the books
3) Lestrade's theory of the killer coming through a vent reminds me of the Speckled Band
TEH
1) the deducing of the train-aficionado's hat(does he have a name?) in Greek Interpreter the brothers do a deducing of a stranger on the street
2) als the fact that it was a hat deduction-- is that a reference to the hat in Blue Carbuncle?
3) Mr. Windibank and his daughter in 221B is a nod to the Case of Idenity..  who Sherlock thought should be horsewhipped... 

Last edited by LongtimeSherlockian (April 4, 2014 8:44 pm)

January 13, 2015 12:48 pm  #155

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 3, 2017 5:04 pm  #156

I assume this thread is silent after Series 3 because everyone had read up to prep for S4?
But I couldn't resist mentioning how much I loved the idea,in TLD, of John's cane being witness to Culverton Smith's confession at Sherlock's 'deathbed', in a direct parallel to the original where Dr Watson hides behind Holmes' bed while Smith unwittingly confesses. It wasn't the most original idea in the world, but I loved how it was presented.

October 3, 2017 5:11 pm  #157

Nice nod to the opening episode of BBC Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 3, 2017 5:13 pm  #158

I hadn't thought of it that way, Barker!  Nice point!

Board footera