BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2012 4:48 am  #1

Sherlock Holmes Weekly Quiz - 18/06/12

Time to put thinking caps on for another week guys.

We have a mixed bag once again.

CANON

WHO said WHAT to WHO and WHERE - Just answer XXX said  YYYY  to  ZZZZ in the book  VVVVVVV
I will give you a partial quote; fill in the whole quote & details
eg Molly said "I don't even like  Quavers" to John in "The Case of the missing Sociopath"

1. WHO said   "How often have I said to you that when you .... WHAT............." to WHO  and in WHICH book?

2. WHO said  " It is the unofficial force - the... WHAT.............." to WHO  and in WHICH book?

3.  WHO said  "The fair sex is... WHAT.............. to WHO  and in WHICH book?

4. WHO said "To the curious incident ... WHAT.............. to WHO  and in WHICH book?

5. WHO said "They were the footprints ... WHAT.............. to WHO  and in WHICH book?

BBC Sherlock - These require some searching online. Once you get one, you will have a clue to the others:

6. How did John get kidnapped by Moriaty & taken to the pool?

7.  What is Sarah's last name? 

8. How old did Connie Prince claim to be?

9. How old is Molly Hooper?

And lastly, we need one with bonus points:

10. How many innocent people's deaths were documented in The Great Game and (for bonus points) how many were attributed to Moriarty?

Happy hunting. If you want clues, message me or post in here.

Have a good week searching. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 7:44 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Holmes Weekly Quiz - 18/06/12

Hi Kazza. Did you mean to put the two digit number after the question about Molly's age?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 8:32 am  #3

Davina wrote:

Hi Kazza. Did you mean to put the two digit number after the question about Molly's age?

DOH!
Whatever do you mean dear?

sorry I hit my head leaving the Mind Palace.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 11:44 am  #4

Oho! A Kazza-quiz! I shall have to look into this tomorrow

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 18, 2012 11:54 am  #5

You should have had a look at it earlier on today! Lol! Exclamation marks definitely required. Ooo did make me giggle. Hard hat mandatory Kazza.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 18, 2012 4:13 pm  #6

I am quite proud of myself on this one, IK'm going for more than 5 ...
1. Sherlock said ‘…when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth’ to John in Sign of four
2. Sherlock said ‘…the baker street irregulars’ to John in the sign of four
3. Sherlock said ‘…your department’ to Watson in the second stain
4. Sherlock said ‘… of the dog in the night-time to Gregory in Silver Blaze
5. Dr. Mortimer said ‘…of a gigantic hound’ to Sherlock in hound of the Baskervilles
6. Forced to enter a taxi with a gun
7. Sawyer
8. 36
9. 31
10. 4 and 3? (I’m not really sure about this one…)

Great quiz by the way, kazza, not too challenging for my little brain

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 18, 2012 4:57 pm  #7

welll...I  saw it tooo.....meow!!!    hmmmm..When  is this quiz due?  I  want to wait till the last day,  to post mine.   good quiz kazza

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 18, 2012 4:59 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 20, 2012 3:33 am  #8

Closes 25/06/12 at same time as this was posted. ( Cos I don't know what time that is for everyone else, being that we're in different time zones)
So whatever time you see on the first post, it will be that time on the 25/16.

Molly I sent you a message about how many you need to look at again.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 20, 2012 5:26 am  #9

Ok    thanks Kazza.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 23, 2012 2:51 am  #10

Needing hints anyone?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 23, 2012 8:53 am  #11

No,  i've  got mine done,  I'll post it tomorrow since I'm  too tired right now.   and there was one question I had trouble on, that's why it took me this long.  but I believe I figured it out.  you'll see what I mean when you read my answers.     Oh.   I  mean later on today.   it's the morning of the  23rd.   I  need a new keyboard.   So if I win, you can send me one by owl post.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 23, 2012 6:43 pm  #12

Ok  here are my quiz answers.   I won't  need to change them...And I'll wait till you post the answers to  know who  wins this game.   Please see my previous post,  kazza.  Oh  this quiz was fun to do--  it was a little bit like Cluedo.  I mean that as a compliment.   

CANON

WHO said WHAT to WHO and WHERE - Just answer XXX said  YYYY  to  ZZZZ in the book  VVVVVVV
I will give you a partial quote; fill in the whole quote & details
eg Molly said "I don't even like  Quavers" to John in "The Case of the missing Sociopath"

1. Holmes  said  "How often have I said to you that when you have  eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,  however improbable, must be the truth ." to Watson in “Sign of Four��   which is the 1st book he said it in.  He also said it in other stories too,  but not in these words.

2. Holmes   said   "It is the unofficial force –the  Baker Street Irregulars." to Watson in  Sign Of Four. 

3.  Holmes  said  "The fair sex is... Your Department��    to Watson  in  Second Stain.

4. Holmes  said "To the curious incident of the dog in the night time, that did not bark.��   to Inspector Gregory in   Silver Blaze. 

5. Dr. James Mortimer  said   "They were the footprints ... of a gigantic hound��   to Holmes (and Watson who was listening)   in Hound of the Baskervilles. 

BBC Sherlock - These require some searching online. Once you get one,  you will have a clue to the others:

6. How did John get kidnapped by Moriaty & taken to the pool?   
  My answer--Owl Post?   Nah.   It wasn’t explained in the dvd’s, but online said he was kidnapped  at gunpoint  and put into a taxi, and decked out with the bomb, when he’d left the flat to go see Sarah  after they had solved the 1st four warnings. 

7.  What is Sarah's last name?
  Sawyer   

8. How old did Connie Prince claim to be?   
Ok  here goes…Her website on science of deduction (and in the episode)  said 36.  An entertainment reporter on another site  said 48,  and Lestrade said 54  to Sherlock at the Morgue.  And that is my final answer.   

9. How old is Molly Hooper?

And lastly, we need one with bonus points:

10. How many innocent people's deaths were documented in The Great Game and (for bonus points) how many were attributed to Moriarty?
Ok  this one was tricky.  I  could NOT  count the ‘deaths’ in the plane,  but those weren’t M’s fault.  As far as I know,  there were 17 more deaths,  and only 15 were ‘set up’  or caused by Moriarty.     

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 24, 2012 1:35 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 24, 2012 7:11 pm  #13

1. "How often have I said to you that when you eliminate the impossible whatever remains however improbably must be the truth". SH to JW in Sign of Four

2. "It is the unofficial force - the Baker Street Irregulars". SH to JW in Sign Of Four

3. "The fair sex is your department" SH to JW in Second Stain

4. "To the curious incident of hte dog in the night time" SH to Inspector Gregory in Silver Blaze

5. "They were the footprints of a gigantic hound" Dr Mortimer to SH in Hound of Baskerville

6. John was on his way to Sarah's house when a taxi pulled up. The driver got out a gun and made him get in, then he was chloroformed and he woke up in the swimming pool with the bomb strapped to him and an ear piece in made to walk out and say stuff

7. Sarah's last name is Sawyer

8. Connie Prince claims to be 36 despite what the papers say

9. Molly is 31

10. The list of dead is as follows: 12 people in the block of flats when the old lady was blown up, Connie Prince, Carl Powers, Andrew West, Alex Woodbridge, Professor Cairns. I don't know whether to include Carl Powers because he didn't die in the episode, although the word you used was "documented" so yes, maybe I will....that makes a total of 17 dead....14 of those caused by Moriarty. (Andrew West was killed by his brother in law, Alex Woodbridge and Professor Cairns killed by the Golem because they found out the painting was a fake but their deaths weren't arranged by Moriarty...I don't think).

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 25, 2012 3:10 am  #14

Hmm interesting answers.
I shall post the results in just over an hour from now.

Late entires welcome until then.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 25, 2012 5:45 am  #15

WHO said WHAT to WHO and WHERE

1. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes To Dr John Watson in The Sign of the Four
Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss -1

2. "It is the unofficial force—the Baker Street irregulars." Holmes to Watson The Sign of the Four,
Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

3. The fair sex is your department.  Holmes to Watson The Second Stain
Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

4..“Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?" 
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
“The dog did nothing in the night-time."
“That was the curious incident,"  remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Sherlock Holmes. to Insp Gregory Silver Blaze

Molly - 1
Skitty - 1/2  (the quote didn't include anything about barking, that line is actually  often misrepresented)
The Boss - 1

5. "They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!"  Dr. Mortimer to Holmes in The Hound of the Baskervilles
Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

All answers came from the characters' blog pages

6. From John's blog: http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/01april
"I had just left the flat when a taxi pulled up alongside me. The taxi driver asked if I wanted a lift but I told him I was getting the Tube. He then said that he hadn't been asking me, he'd been telling me. I looked at him and I saw the gun pointing at me and so I got into the taxi.
They must have knocked me out because the next thing I can remember is waking up to the smell of chlorine. "

Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

7. Sarah Sawyer From John's blog: http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/01april & http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/forum/page4

SH
Found. The Bruce-Partington plans. Please collect. The Pool. Midnight.

Sarah Sawyer
What pool?? Where are you?! Where's John??

Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

8. From Connie's first page http://www.connieprince.co.uk/
"My name's Connie Prince and no matter what that scandalous report in the Strand said, I'm 36."

Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

9. From Molly's blog http://www.mollyhooper.co.uk/blog/27january
"Hi. My name is Molly Hooper. I work at Barts Hospital. I'm 31. Sorry. This is sounding like a list. I'm not sure why I'm doing this. It's just nice to have someone to talk to."

Molly - 1
Skitty - 1
The Boss - 1

Carl Powers                                               - Moriarty
Connie Prince                                            - Moriarty (same poison as Carl Powers - The 'bomber's' mistake of repeating himself)
12 victims where the blind lady was             - Moriarty
Alex Woodbridge (Security Guard)               - Golem contracted by Moriarty as listed here
Professor Cairns                                        - Golem contracted by Moriarty
Andrew West                                             - not Moriarty

17 deaths - 16 attributed to Moriarty.

Molly - 0
Skitty - 1  (total # correct , Moriarty's count wrong)
The Boss - 1 (total # correct, Moriarty's count wrong)

Molly you almost had it, total of 9 CONGRATS!
Skitty, very well done, just tripped on that misquote - 9 1/2 Congrats
Boss - very well done, a little more research required 10 points!  Making you our winner this week.

I must admit, after asking the last one, I had to research a few times to ensure I had it right. But all indications are that Moriarty DID contract the Gollem. Remember Sherlock saying at the pool  " Dear Jim will you get rid of my lover's sister for me"  Also, he sid that the bomber made the mistake of using the same poison as he did with Carl. So he arranged for Raoul de Santos to get the supplies needed.

So Boss, it's your trun .... Your Quiz or pass it On.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 26, 2012 4:35 pm  #16

Congrats Sherlock Holmes!!  boss--are you gonna post one?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 26, 2012 11:11 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 26, 2012 10:31 pm  #17

Nice one...thank you!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind running another quiz...I'll put one together over the weekend. Don't expect it to be easy though, mwahahaha

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 26, 2012 11:10 pm  #18

ok sherlock,  we'll wait.  we're a patient bunch.   we don't WANT  it to be easy.  Just....cleverly simple.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera