BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2014 4:37 pm  #1

Is Benedict's hair naturally curly?

I know that Benedict's hair is dyed in the Sherlock part, but I have been unable to discover whether it is artificially made curly. I should love to know the answer, though the thought of Benedict in curlers does not appeal 

January 28, 2014 5:04 pm  #2

Re: Is Benedict's hair naturally curly?

Yes, it is actually curly, though ginger in natura...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 28, 2014 7:40 pm  #3

mrshouse wrote:

Thank you so much; I'm profoundly comforted by the removal of the hypothetical curlers 

January 28, 2014 7:46 pm  #4

mrshouse wrote:

Is ginger really his natural hair colour? I swear I once read an interview with Benedict where he stated it isn't...

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 28, 2014 8:22 pm  #5

It is auburn, not as ginger as in Frankenstein. Watch The Last Enemy or To The Ends of the Earth where he seems to have his natural colour. As for the curls - they are enhanced by a diffuser for Sherlock but they are basically there. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 28, 2014 8:32 pm  #6

CURLS

*thud*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 31, 2014 10:37 pm  #7

I love his curly dark hair on Sherlock! I can't imagine him having ginger hair or similar.  
I can't imagine either what  he would say/think if one days he reads our comments about his hair... 

The begining of a great adventure!!!

February 3, 2014 4:44 pm  #8

spanisherlock wrote:

I love his curly dark hair on Sherlock! I can't imagine him having ginger hair or similar.  
I can't imagine either what  he would say/think if one days he reads our comments about his hair... 

Fortunately the chances of that happening are zero! But I'm still hugely relieved that he doesn't have to put his hair in rollers 

February 3, 2014 6:17 pm  #9

Love the curls no matter what color they are. 
Love the photos where he's tried to slick it back but those errant little waves start breaking out.
Love it when it's wild and crazy and looks like he just got out of bed.

*swoon*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 4, 2014 11:58 am  #10

Deilenn wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

Is ginger really his natural hair colour? I swear I once read an interview with Benedict where he stated it isn't...

He has described it as auburn-- which I think of as dark brown with reddish overtones-- perfect with those green-gray-blue eyes of his. The horrible red-orange-blond (what Brits call ginger) was done for various roles in the last 4 or 5 years. Dreadful, especially in War Horse and again in Parade's End, and yes, I realize that's a matter of opinion. 

February 4, 2014 12:00 pm  #11

tonnaree wrote:

Love the curls no matter what color they are. Love the photos where he's tried to slick it back but those errant little waves start breaking out. Love it when it's wild and crazy and looks like he just got out of bed. *swoon* 

Oh, hunny, you just love him, don'tcha, any ol' way. *smile*

February 4, 2014 1:15 pm  #12

ancientsgate wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Love the curls no matter what color they are. Love the photos where he's tried to slick it back but those errant little waves start breaking out. Love it when it's wild and crazy and looks like he just got out of bed. *swoon* 

I don't know what you're talking about AG.  I admire him greatly as a performer and his hairstyle is simply a reflection of the characters he plays.  *cough cough*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 4, 2014 6:29 pm  #13

tonnaree wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about AG.  I admire him greatly as a performer and his hairstyle is simply a reflection of the characters he plays.  *cough cough*

*slaps tonnaree on the back*  There, there, you'll be okay in a moment or two. Don't go saying so many fibs in the same breath like that; you'll get yourself in a state.

February 4, 2014 7:14 pm  #14

I love him with his Sherlock hair and his natural hair. Both are amazing and awww *-*

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

February 4, 2014 7:47 pm  #15

I adore Sherlock's hair. I've always loved men with curly 'Byronic' hair. I love Rufus Sewell and he had gorgeous hair when he was younger. Like in Middlemarch -

http://www.theplace2.ru/archive/rufus_sewell/img/Middlemarch1000.jpg

Then there is Colin Firth's Darcy. Swoon.

My hubby has naturally curly dark hair but he has to have it cut reasonably short and neat for his job. Sigh.

February 4, 2014 8:24 pm  #16

Rufus Sewell.   *thud*

My hubby's hair is straight as a board, but I love it on the longish side. I liked being able to ruffle a mans hair before I ever "met" Sherlock!  Sadly, if it gets too long it irritates him. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 4, 2014 8:54 pm  #17

tonnaree wrote:

Rufus Sewell.   *thud*

*thumbs up*

March 28, 2014 4:11 pm  #18

Any style is good but I cant get used to the blonde hair lol.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

Board footera