BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2014 9:16 am  #21

Re: John Watson in S4

I loved John in series 3, he had some wonderful lines and he showed strength. Just remember the scene where he saved the man's life in  Sherlock's recount of "the bloody guardsman". It was he who told Sherlock what to do and not the other way around.

I expect John to stay true to his character, his sarcasm and integrity in series 4, just as he has done so far. I see him as a deeply honourable man and I would like to continue seeing him this way at the end of series 4.

I would like to see John more back with Sherlock solving cases, than another bunch of domestic bliss sequences. We've seen them already and they weren't even that blissful.
I have to say as things stand now the one thing I can't see happening in the near future is John moving back in with Sherlock at Baker Street.

Last edited by the_dancing_woman (March 13, 2014 9:16 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

March 13, 2014 9:38 am  #22

I would like to see more scenes with John and Sherlock. More sarcasm from John and a bit less drama. I completely understand why he was behaving the way he did in season 3 and I don't mind the expression of emotion (anger included), quite to the contrary. I hope however that in S4 they will give John a little break from coping with dreadfull life events (I'm not holding my breath as we all expect Mary to be killed off).

I would also like to see more John and Mycroft scenes. They just made me lough so badly with their confrontations.

March 13, 2014 10:18 am  #23

Swanpride wrote:

I don't want to have the old dynamic back, to be honest. There was nothing wrong with it, but I am so chuffed that the writer took the leap and broke out of the "domestic bliss in Baker street" mould, while still respecting canon. Even if Mary died...I wouldn't want John just going back immediately. I would like that to be a slow process.

Agreed, because this is life, people develop and move on, and don't just fall back into old patterns as if nothing had happened in the in-between. That would really seem childish.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

March 13, 2014 11:51 am  #24

Even if John moves back to Baker St. it doesn't necessarily mean they will just repeat the old patterns.  Life can change even if you're in the same place.

Depending on what happens in the Mary situation, comfort could be a big factor in John moving back in with Sherlock.  Sherlock is his best friend, his family, why would he not seek out said comfort.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 13, 2014 2:24 pm  #25

tonnaree wrote:

Even if John moves back to Baker St. it doesn't necessarily mean they will just repeat the old patterns.  Life can change even if you're in the same place.

Depending on what happens in the Mary situation, comfort could be a big factor in John moving back in with Sherlock.  Sherlock is his best friend, his family, why would he not seek out said comfort.

And Sherlock has changed; I think S3 was the one where he grew up, and in that sense we have moved closer to canon where he was the grown up, Dr Watson somewhat less so.

But I think John would, as you say, seek comfort; my preference would be for Mary to disappear, running from a threat posed by Moriarty...

March 13, 2014 3:52 pm  #26

Who wouldn't want to seek comfort in the arms of Sherlock?!?

Oh wait, that wasn't exactly on topic.  Sorry.  Carry on.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 13, 2014 5:29 pm  #27

Swanpride wrote:

I don't want to have the old dynamic back, to be honest. There was nothing wrong with it, but I am so chuffed that the writer took the leap and broke out of the "domestic bliss in Baker street" mould, while still respecting canon.

But the old dynamic wasn´t old.. it has been merely 6 episodes! *cries* ^^
If I´m honest: I miss it. The blood pumping through their veins, just the two of them against the rest of the world.. *sigh* They could have changed it eventually, but more like.. after Series 6 or so.. *whinewhine* 

But I agree with Willow, now that it´s over anyway I would like their dynamic to become a bit more like in the original stories. Sherlock growing up and not relying on John to act as a parent and guide in social situations anymore, and John in turn more trusting in Sherlock´s judgment and in his good intentions, more the loyal follower like the original Watson.. (not that he wasn´t loyal before, but he also questioned Sherlock´s motives and actions quite quickly and willingly..) Maybe after all that happened he finally comes to realize what Sherlock did for him and that he had valid reasons for acting the way he did..

March 13, 2014 5:58 pm  #28

Zatoichi wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I don't want to have the old dynamic back, to be honest. There was nothing wrong with it, but I am so chuffed that the writer took the leap and broke out of the "domestic bliss in Baker street" mould, while still respecting canon.

But the old dynamic wasn´t old.. it has been merely 6 episodes! *cries* ^^
If I´m honest: I miss it. The blood pumping through their veins, just the two of them against the rest of the world.. *sigh* They could have changed it eventually, but more like.. after Series 6 or so.. *whinewhine* 

But I agree with Willow, now that it´s over anyway I would like their dynamic to become a bit more like in the original stories. Sherlock growing up and not relying on John to act as a parent and guide in social situations anymore, and John in turn more trusting in Sherlock´s judgment and in his good intentions, more the loyal follower like the original Watson.. (not that he wasn´t loyal before, but he also questioned Sherlock´s motives and actions quite quickly and willingly..) Maybe after all that happened he finally comes to realize what Sherlock did for him and that he had valid reasons for acting the way he did..

Sounds good. Just as long as he doesn't end up like Nigel Bruce's Watson. xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 14, 2014 8:48 am  #29

tonnaree wrote:

Oh wait, that wasn't exactly on topic.  Sorry.  Carry on.

Apparently John wouldn't. Not even when he thought that both were going to die in the next few seconds facing the bomb. For me this is a very sad moment for Sherlock. You would certainly expect that your best friend would seek comfort, that John would walk towards him, touch him or hug him to face death together. Sherlock knew that the bomb wouldn't go off and he was possibly curious to see what John might do. I see in Sherlock's face a lot of disappointment when John just stands there alone with his eyes closed not looking at Sherlock.
Compare that with Sherlock's death scene on the roof.

Sorry also not exactly on topic.
John Watson in S4 will hopefully part his hair on his right side again.

March 14, 2014 10:03 am  #30

Well, this is a difficult situation because there are still many unspoken things between them. However, what is interesting that in series 3 Sherlock is able to speak about his feelings, even in front of a whole wedding party, and John is not. But this has always been a characteristic. Think of the cemetery scene in TRF. He could only express his feelings when he thought nobody heard him. The moment he gets emotional he tries to distract, turns away, gets angry, whatever. Actually Sherlock is far more open about his emotions than John is. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2014 10:14 am  #31

Mm...
Things are possibly not exactly what we think that they are....

March 14, 2014 11:01 am  #32

tonnaree wrote:

I don't think many people would. lol Not even his close friends. I'm not quite sure if John not seeking physical comfort from Sherlock in the bomb scene is a reflection of the fact that he respects Sherlock's personal space, that he himself doesn't like to be comforted in that way or that their relationship wasn't recovered enough at that point. Maybe a combination of all three. The way he acted somehow fitted with the way I see John operate.

To be honest I just can't quite see Sherlock trying to comfort someone by hugging them. It's not quite how he rolls. I would imagine him giving comfort from safe distance, something along the lines off:

To get back to the topic.  I would like to see John become a little bit more in touch with his own feelings in season 4 so that he can move on and grow as a character.

Last edited by belis (March 14, 2014 11:02 am)

March 14, 2014 11:37 am  #33

belis wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I don't think many people would. lol Not even his close friends. I'm not quite sure if John not seeking physical comfort from Sherlock in the bomb scene is a reflection of the fact that he respects Sherlock's personal space, that he himself doesn't like to be comforted in that way or that their relationship wasn't recovered enough at that point. Maybe a combination of all three. The way he acted somehow fitted with the way I see John operate.

To be honest I just can't quite see Sherlock trying to comfort someone by hugging them. It's not quite how he rolls. I would imagine him giving comfort from safe distance, something along the lines off:

To get back to the topic.  I would like to see John become a little bit more in touch with his own feelings in season 4 so that he can move on and grow as a character.

Needless to say this comment was more about my love-blind libido than anything else.  
But good points all around.

During the bomb scene I never would've expected John to run into Sherlock's arms.  He is far too repressed.  As it is just getting the words of forgiveness out was a painful struggle.  It broke my heart. 

I know some people were unhappy with John in S3 but I wasn't.  I found all of his behavior understandable in the context of what he has been through.  My main wish for S4 is just that his bond with Sherlock is fully restored and continues to grow.

Last edited by tonnaree (March 14, 2014 12:20 pm)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2014 5:25 pm  #34

belis wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

But Sherlock did say 'I'm sorry, forgive me' to Molly, when he realised what he had done to her, and he kissed her. The movement towards her came from Sherlock, and I do think that he was trying to comfort her. No brushes were damaged in the filming of that scene

Returning to John, I too would like him to move forward; I'm fairly sure that he is in touch with his feelings. It's just that his feelings are somewhat unhelpful in the context of being a grown up; being in touch with your inner child is all very well, but at some point one has to leave the terrible twos behind and put on your game face...

March 14, 2014 7:59 pm  #35

I haven't yet participated in any of the "big" discussions regarding series 3 because I am, even after 2 month, still a bit confused about some events that happened. Series 3 is for sure the most profound and complex series so far. My opinion on certain aspects is partly still not clear, e.g. Mary. I cannot really make up my mind about her.

Funny enough, Sherlock seems to me almost the most comprehensible character in series 3. Whereas John, phew, it's difficult. In TEH his behavior was understandable. He was hurt, confused and disappointed. It would have take some time for him to trust Sherlock again, to let him be an important part of his
life again. IMO that mirrored in John's behavior in HLV. He was more aloof and emotionless towards Sherlock - right from the beginning of the episode their relationship felt odd. If HLV took place right after TEH I wouldn't have issues understanding this development. But there had been an episode in between – TsoT, which radiated so much friendship and love and caring between John and Sherlock - no signs of any open issues between the two men. But somewhere between TSoT and HLV must have been a breaking point in their relationship and it's a bit frustrating not knowing what happened. Does Sherlock withdraw himself from John to let him have his domestic bliss or because he is afraid of being rejected by John (due to Mrs. Hudson's rambling about "marriage will change everything")? And if this is the case, why did John let that happened?

I understand that John is a person who is not good with verbalizing his emotions, that he become insecure when confronted with them. Which is part of the reason for the impersonal and tense good-bye scene at the plane. Sherlock definitely was the more mature man here. In HLV Sherlock does everything within his power to kept John's life intact but John is mainly passive throughout the whole episode.

I wish for John in series 4 that we will see him reciprocate. That he will show, how much Sherlock does meant to him, how much HE is willing to sacrifice for his friend. I am not sure what I wish for Mary and their child (I don't feel comfortable judging about the fate of a pregnant women) but I wish that the strong bond between Sherlock and John will be renewed.

Sorry, I suppose most of that has already been said, I somehow tried to phrase my confusing thoughts  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 14, 2014 8:38 pm  #36

I wouldn't worry, Stoertebeker; we're all confused by S3.

You make the very interesting point that, if HLV had come directly after TEH, John's behaviour would seem more comprehensible; I think perhaps Moftiss were a tad heavy handed in hitting us over the head with the fact that John, contrary to what Sherlock says about his relationship with Mary, isn't actually happy in his suburban wedded bliss.

And they do that before the big reveal of Mary's (possibly) former life, so there can be no doubt that it's the life and relationship now with Mary that's the problem, not the knowledge of her former life. We have been speculating about John's past, and wondering whether his propensity for going berserk is what led to his parting company with the Army, so I think his unwillingness to accept that he may be less than perfect himself is part and parcel of a larger problem.

John can be incredibly sweet and charming, but he can also behave with all the tact and discretion of a charging rhino, so he too is sending mixed messages; I can see that Sherlock has become a great deal more mature in S3, and I very much hope that John will do so in S4. I'm not at all sure how that might happen..

March 15, 2014 7:24 pm  #37

My two pennies' worth, probably a little off the conversation slightly...

I think Sherlock and John are at their best when under pressure, so I want to see more of that in s4. With only 3 episodes....if they're going to kill Mary off it should happen off camera, with the start of S4 dealing with Moriarty's "return" and Johns grief. And then I want to see John snapped back into action by Sherlock.
And I would actually like to see john show off his medical skills, like, properly. Not just tap cheeks and ask "are you ok?". As Sherlock says, he solves crimes and John saves lives. So back to basics would work well for me.

I must admit I also loved seeing Sherlock more vulnerable in s3, so in an ideal world I'd like to see more of that

I'm clueing for looks

March 15, 2014 9:10 pm  #38

I would prefer S4 not to include John attacking Sherlock; it's not much to ask, but on present form it may be too much to ask...

March 15, 2014 9:32 pm  #39

clareiow wrote:

And I would actually like to see john show off his medical skills, like, properly. Not just tap cheeks and ask "are you ok?". As Sherlock says, he solves crimes and John saves lives. So back to basics would work well for me.

I would love to see that too. If they can portray it in a way that won't have me shouting 'That's not how it's done!' at the TV then it will be bonus points.

March 15, 2014 9:52 pm  #40

Myself, I would be very dissatisfied if Mary died off screen.  Event though I know how it was delt with in the original stories.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera