BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2012 1:43 pm  #21

Re: Jubilee

Last edited by Molly Hooper (June 9, 2012 1:43 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 10, 2012 3:34 am  #22

So, who's the queen now? Victoria?

I promise you I'm kidding. But she would be a lot more interesting if she'd lop off a few heads each year or something...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 10, 2012 4:39 am  #23

The Jubilee was actually pretty big news this side of the pond.  Last Saturday morning, when I turned my computer on and my homepage--which is the BBC News website, legacy of my time in West Africa when the only news I got was the BBC on shortwave radio (oh, did I just date myself?!)--appeared, there was live video of the Thames River pageant so I clicked on that and ended up watching for one hour.  I thought it was pretty interesting.  But I tore myself away after that to come back to the board here.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 10, 2012 6:32 am  #24

BBC received well over 2.000 complaints about their coverage due to what was considered (and in my opinion I agree with this) dumbing down of the whole pageant.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 10, 2012 6:53 am  #25

Apparently they also got complaints about showing the union jack the wrong way up!
Not something Sherlock would worry about (trivia!!) so I won't either!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 10, 2012 7:40 am  #26

well  i  get the BBCA   and CNN channels--but BBCA  had better coverage of the boat parade.  I  loved it. I  loved seeing the tower  bridge do the full raise up. THAT  was the highlight, I think.   

I've got other tapes of the jubilee stuff but I have been too busy to watch those  yet.   I  think it's awesome that Queen E 2  has  reigned for over 60  years,  I  love continuity.   I  mean,  here in the states,  we have presidents that change every 4  years or 8  years.  I'm not political at all,  but it does make for some chaos and confusion.   

Oh,  I  wish I could have been in England.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 10, 2012 8:11 am  #27

Wow, you Americans seem to have done way more than me!!
I was going to watch the barge but the clip was very long and in the end, it's only a boat! *Guilt*

June 22, 2012 7:24 pm  #28

But molly,  it was a very  PRETTY boat,  don't you think?   Poor Prince Phillip got an infection and had to go to hospital right after that was done.  Didn't they sit down at all?  cos  I  only saw them standing up.   And the rain  didn't help.   Queen lilibet  (that's what I call her) didn't even have an umbrella  or  a coat on.   

I  watched   the concert on june 5th.   Did not enjoy the first part,  but after the older singers came on,  oh  boy  did I enjoy them.  Loved the songs that Sir Paul sang,  those were PERFECT  for the queen  to hear.  "Let it be"  was and still is,  my favorite.  Queen victoria reigned for 63  years,  I do hope  Her Majesty  can top that. 

How long has king juan Carlos 1  of Spain been on the throne?  forgive me for not knowing much about him.  I  love ALL royals,  But I read more about England's royals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 23, 2012 12:49 pm  #29

They did sit down on the royal barge, there were some comfy red velvet covered couch-type things.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 19, 2012 5:33 pm  #30

I'm  not British, but Igot a tea cup with Queen Elizabeth on it to celebrate.

Last edited by horserider99 (October 19, 2012 5:34 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

Board footera