BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 9:08 pm  #41

Re: Tell us what part of the world you come from

Dramagod wrote:

Davina wrote:

although ours are often bigger and thicker.

I can confirm this. They're delicious. The chips.

Well, put like that, it actually sounds good. Oh, I'm hungry now.

And, sorry to interrupt, but how seriously Glee = geek ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 21, 2012 9:19 pm  #42

I am sorry but I refuse to be a Shrek!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 9:27 pm  #43

What about a Sherd?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 21, 2012 9:40 pm  #44

It means a broken piece of a brittle artifact. Like a piece of a broken tea cup I suppose...or John's heart!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 21, 2012 9:43 pm  #45

So what represents us the best: an ogre or a piece of a broken tea cup?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21, 2012 9:44 pm  #46

I meant like Sherlock-Nerd. but never mind, it doesn't really work!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 21, 2012 9:55 pm  #47

Milkomeda wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

Davina wrote:

although ours are often bigger and thicker.

I can confirm this. They're delicious. The chips.

Well, put like that, it actually sounds good. Oh, I'm hungry now.

And, sorry to interrupt, but how seriously Glee = geek ?

Not sure what your question is about Glee.

June 21, 2012 9:57 pm  #48

Well, fans of Glee are Gleek, Glee + geek, but doesn't geek is similar to nerd? I just don't understand the connection.

June 21, 2012 10:01 pm  #49

Oh, I think it just means that they are geeky about glee and like, know lots about it or something...

June 21, 2012 10:01 pm  #50

Milkomeda wrote:

Well, fans of Glee are Gleek, Glee + geek, but doesn't geek is similar to nerd? I just don't understand the connection.

Geek and nerd can have similar meanings, but geek can also refer to someone who is very into something, knows a lot about it --  to the point of being nerdy, I guess!

And you're turning the tables on someone who would call you a geek, by using it yourself. You make it a badge of pride. I proudly proclaim myself a Sherlock geek.

As for gleek, it's just fun that words fit together so well.

June 22, 2012 12:16 am  #51

veecee wrote:

I think I would go with Sherlockians, except it's so long. Holmesies? Fans of the TV show Glee are gleeks (glee + geeks), but shereeks, sheeks, shreeks -- just don't work.

Question: How many of you pronounce the "l" in "Holmes"?

The way it sounds in my accent ("newscaster accent") it is just BARELY audible. You can only tell when I say the actual word "homes" because there's a slight pause, not really a syllable break but almost, between "Hol" and "mes".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 22, 2012 12:30 am  #52

The way I pronounce Sherlock Holmes, you can hear every single letter clearly, even the L in the middle of Holmes. I love our language.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 22, 2012 1:08 am  #53

Sherlock fans here in USA  are usually called  Baker Street Irregulars,  Sherlockians,  and  sometimes a city will name its  SH  club after a canon title.   For Instance,   there's the Solitary Cyclists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 22, 2012 7:50 am  #54

Boy, I'm surprised at the number of Americans!  I kind of felt like an interloper, like I was invading a British message board!  Although you all made me feel so very welcome.

June 22, 2012 2:25 pm  #55

14 North Americans and only 3 people from the UK? Really? I'm surprised. Reading the various threads, I got the feeling most everyone here was a Brit. Huh.

June 22, 2012 6:15 pm  #56

sherlockskitty wrote:

Sherlock fans here in USA  are usually called  Baker Street Irregulars,  Sherlockians,  and  sometimes a city will name its  SH  club after a canon title.   For Instance,   there's the Solitary Cyclists.

I like the BSI, but in Sherlock I think he just refers to the homeless network, doesn't he?
And maybe I should look for a club in my city.

July 13, 2012 3:38 am  #57

For the BBC show--I  think he refered to them as  "Bow Street Runners"   and  Homeless Network   Yeah  I  wondered why  NORTH AMERICA  and AMERICA  was on this poll--North America  is Canada,  United States, and Mexico/Baja California all rolled into one. That's what it says on my map.    Holmes?  I say  it so that you can hear me say the L  with a little sound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 23, 2012 10:22 pm  #58

We've had a lot of new members recently so I thought it might be an idea to BUMP this poll. Please feel free to enter where in the world you come from. (Especially if you are from the UK as we're feeling somewhat outnumbered!)

July 23, 2012 10:35 pm  #59

Davina wrote:

We've had a lot of new members recently so I thought it might be an idea to BUMP this poll. Please feel free to enter where in the world you come from. (Especially if you are from the UK as we're feeling somewhat outnumbered!)

Might just because the US has such a larger population than so many other countries. I believe our population is 10 times that of Canada, even though they have more surface area (not sure if that includes the US with Alaska or without it, but anyway, the US population overall is a lot bigger). That might be why the US shows up so disproportionately large on this survey. No idea what the UK population is, but given your much smaller surface area, it's got to be a lot less than ours. ???

July 24, 2012 6:17 am  #60

Our population in the UK is 60 million.

Board footera