BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2012 9:08 am  #1

Heroes like Sherlock

Does anyone know any books (or films), where the hero thinks and acts always comprehensible and rational like Sherlock?
Like the "Agent Pendergast"-Series or "Around the World in Eighty Days"?
I like such books ;)

ABFVRZNTRUG

April 14, 2012 9:17 am  #2

Re: Heroes like Sherlock

Edgar Allan Poe's detective C.A. Dupin was a role model for Sherlock Holmes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Auguste_Dupin

I've been loving Poe's stories for ages!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 14, 2012 12:12 pm  #3

Great fan of EAP's! Especially the poetry!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 5, 2012 5:00 am  #4

Willing Participant wrote:

Does anyone know any books (or films), where the hero thinks and acts always comprehensible and rational like Sherlock?
Like the "Agent Pendergast"-Series or "Around the World in Eighty Days"?
I like such books ;)

There is some similar deductive reasoning in the book, "The Man Who Knew Too Much by GK Chesterton.  It is a series of short mystery stories.  There are some 1900's England references of which I was not too familiar, but I still enjoyed the stories.  The book is available free online as an e-book.

A little background.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was an influential and prolific English writer of the early 20th century. He was a journalist, a poet and a novelist. He wrote 80 books and 200 short stories in addition to his other work. He is perhaps best remembered for his ‘Father Brown’ stories; two collections of which are available at Librivox.org.
‘The Man Who Knew Too Much’ has some similarities to the Father Brown stories: Horne Fisher the eponymous hero is connected and indeed related to many of the high-ranking politicians of his age and thus ‘knows too much’ about the background of the mysteries in which he becomes embroiled and which he unravels. (Summary by Martin Clifton)

rob k

June 11, 2012 8:17 am  #5

At the moment I am translating Liz Jensen's new novel "The Uninvited" into German. The male protagonist Hesketh Lock has Asperger and in some aspects he reminds me of Sherlock. He is quite obsessive about colours - he could name at least 38 different shades of blue - and does mental origami when he gets overloaded by exterior stimuli. He is very attractive to women but has obvious problems in creating a relationship. However, he is less harsh and dismissive towards others. But still … nice to be reminded of Sherlock during work 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2012 7:24 pm  #6

How about Agatha Chrisie?  As I understand it, she was a SH fan herself.  Her earlier works are more in mold of SH though her later books leaned more toward the psycological solving of crimes (Criminal Minds?).  In the story, "Cards on the Table,"  Hercule Poirot solves a case solely from the tally sheets of bridge players,  and it story makes good sense.

robk

June 18, 2012 8:57 pm  #7

I enjoy some of her work, so long as she allows the reader access to the clues, as it were. The TV productions of Poirot and her other stories are very well done.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2012 5:55 pm  #8

Sorry, but I could never really take to Poirot. I'm not sure why but I guess it's that I just like to learn more about the hero's private life, his light and dark sides, etc., and to me Poirot always seemed a bit one-dimensional.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera