BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2014 8:44 pm  #61

Re: Johnlock

*group Sherlockian hugs*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 28, 2014 9:01 pm  #62

Uuhh, love is in the air...! And we're not even in 221B right now!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 29, 2014 1:21 am  #63

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I confess I wasn't absolutely sure what to make of the "not the first" line, given that we're supposed to believe John was never having sex with Sherlock. So, in his case, first what?

Mary wasn't the first bed-partner, and Sherlock wasn't the first brooding, loner male he made friends with?

Actually, we were led to believe in the first two seasons that John was very alone in the world...but unlike Sherlock, he's had other "bromances" of sorts, or some kind of male friendships? I guess in the army he'd get to be close to the other guys.

Well, in this little scene Sherlock's possessiveness of John comes out front and center, don't you think? He pouts when Mary says John talks about the major to her all the time and even considers him above Sherlock in the anti-social department.  That certainly takes Sherlock down a peg. Ha, ha!  Apparently Sherlock wants to be 'first' in John's eyes in almost everything - even being a "dickhead"!  John just talking quietly with the major Sherlock interprets as bouncing around him "like a puppy!" A bit of over reaction there in light of the green-eyed monster, I'd say. But no, I don't think the "not the first" line is about sex (although I suppose you could interpret it that way if you really want to).  Mary is good at teasing and has noticed Sherlock's jealousy over John holding the major in such high esteem. She gives him a little metaphorical poke in the ribs by equating it with her not being John's first bed-partner. That's the way I interpreted it, anyway.  It was a very cute little moment - especially when Sherlock orders her to "stop smiling".  Apparently he doesn't like being 'found out'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 29, 2014 1:41 am  #64

I thought that was so cute! ^^

"It's my wedding day!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 31, 2014 11:36 pm  #65

I agree with Bruce on one point: Irene, and Sherlock's interaction with her, is a bit problematic for those of us committed to Johnlock. I believe people can be attracted to both sexes, (and we're to believe that both Irene AND Sherlock have the 'power' to attract people who don't usually go for their gender, i.e., John isn't usually attracted to men), but it made Sherlock seem more...well...fickle and distractable...not as focused on John.

Incidentally, in canon, there is minimal interaction between Holmes and Irene and very little evidence of attraction (none on her side, and he's fascinated by her cleverness but Watson tells us he isn't interested in women in that way) There is far more evidence for Holmes being in love with Watson...but most adaptations create sexual tension between Irene and Holmes, or imply that she is the one woman who can attract him.

Oh, and think about the implications of John deliberately making Sherlock drunker...and then they wake up together twice, once on the stairs, once in the cells.

The "We can't all dance together. There are limits," line could be translated as, "We have an 'arrangement' about our private life, but we can't show it off in public."

From "I believe in Sherlock," to "I believe in Johnlock."

Oh, by the way, there are Facebook profiles for John and Sherlock that have them engaged or married.

The one thing in this episode that's really ANTI-Johnlock is the way Sherlock seems to be against marriage entirely (unless you take that as a cover for being against this particular marriage). The things he says about it ARE in character.

Some fans have said they think Sherlock would object to the idea of people legally "belonging" to each other - but then again, he might like the idea of creating some legal tie between him and John (especially if it would keep women away from John.). I remember one fan fic where he shepherds John to the office where civil partnerships are done (without really telling John in advance why they're there - that would be in character too), and John says that Sherlock would really like to stamp, "Property of Sherlock Holmes" on John's forehead.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 2, 2014 3:39 am)

February 8, 2014 7:52 pm  #66

Sherlock's "you deserve this man" line really comes back to bite after seeing HLV.

Part of me would really like "delete" HLV from my "harddrive" and think more about this episode...

...but I do wonder if Mary, on some level, knew her past was going to, or at least could, catch up with her, and was tolerant of  Sherlock (something that, of course, not all of John's significant others have been) because

a) she thought having Sherlock Holmes on her side could be useful

b) she knew that her domestic life with John couldn't last and that John would need Sherlock again

Or, more sinisterly, at the time she met John about six months before Sherlock came back,she had some reason to believe Sherlock wasn't dead, and got close to John so she could have access to Sherlock (or "the Holmes brothers").

February 8, 2014 7:59 pm  #67

Hmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 9:04 pm  #68

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

Sherlock's "you deserve this man" line really comes back to bite after seeing HLV.

Part of me would really like "delete" HLV from my "harddrive" and think more about this episode...

...but I do wonder if Mary, on some level, knew her past was going to, or at least could, catch up with her, and was tolerant of  Sherlock (something that, of course, not all of John's significant others have been) because

a) she thought having Sherlock Holmes on her side could be useful

b) she knew that her domestic life with John couldn't last and that John would need Sherlock again

Or, more sinisterly, at the time she met John about six months before Sherlock came back,she had some reason to believe Sherlock wasn't dead, and got close to John so she could have access to Sherlock (or "the Holmes brothers").

Well, that would be well within the evidence that we have; Moftiss have made sure that there are so many possibilities that we can't predict the future plot. For example, I have already noted that Mary insinuating herself into Baker St and then dispatching S&J elsewhere gave her excellent opportunities to search there; it's blindingly obvious that there are many people who would like to search Sherlock's home for information, and Mary had the perfect opportunity.

There are times when this level of ambiguity alienates viewers, but to a certain extent this only applies to people who watch it with more than the usual level of concentration. I suspect that most of the many millions of people who enjoy the show don't apply the same standards

Board footera