BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 10:04 am  #21

Re: QUEEN

I have no idea why, but this song just popped into my head about 1/2 hour ago. Well not the music to it, but I remembered it & needed to see it for some reason. I even had trouble remembering the name of it; but happy now I have found & seen it.
I shan't rattle on however.

Enjoy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 10:11 am  #22

Cheerful title 

but lovely song

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 8, 2012 1:23 pm  #23

From Dr Bri's site : http://www.brianmay.com/main.html

PPL REVEAL MOST PLAYED QUEEN SONGS
As Great Britain celebrates 60 years of Her Majesty's reign, music licensing company PPL reveals which of her namesake band's hits are the most played by the British public.

The band Queen are almost as universally loved as Queen Elizabeth herself. Formed in 1971, their style of glam stadium rock has influenced the work of many. They have had 18 number one albums and 18 number one singles making them one of the world's biggest selling bands.

Despite lead singer Freddie Mercury's untimely death in 1991, Queen have continued to perform with various guest vocalists including Paul Rogers and more recently, Adam Lambert. For the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002, lead guitarist Brian May famously played the National Anthem from the rooftop of Buckingham Palace.

The top ten most played Queen songs are:

1) A Kind Of Magic
2) Don't Stop Me Now
3) Under Pressure
4) I Want To Break Free
5) Bohemian Rhapsody
6) Killer Queen
7) Somebody To Love
8 Radio Ga Ga
9) We Will Rock You
10) You're My Best Friend

"Queen are undeniably one of the greatest bands Britain has ever produced," said Jonathan Morrish, Director of PR and Corporate Communications at PPL. "These really are classics and show how their music has been such a part of people's lives. These songs make the perfect soundtrack to a Jubilee party this week."

A Kind Of Magic was released in 1986 for the film Highlander and reached number three in the UK singles chart. The top ten tracks are compiled from PPL's exclusive data which includes TV, radio and online usage as well as songs played in bars, shops, restaurants, gyms and other public places that use music.

Kind of Magic is #1? hmmmmm 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 18, 2012 6:47 pm  #24

Really glad to see this thread!
I used to be a massive Queen fan as a teenager (in the mid-late 1990s, so rather "too late", unfortunately, but I did my best anyway), and I guess it never really goes away completely.
Someone once said to me, the music you listen to in your teens is like your first love, and I think that's a very good description of my feelings towards the band.
I don't listen to them all that much anymore, but they will always be very close to my heart (and if given the chance, I could probably still recite the lyrics of, say 100 songs ).

I'm not surprised to see so many Queen-fans here, because I think it takes a similar type of person to appreciate their music and Sherlock (the TV series, not the books, as they have a much broader fan base). Both have been described by critics as pretentious, and I guess to a point they are.

But to quote Freddie Mercury: "Often, that which today is considered pretentious, is tomorrow considered state of the art. The important thing is to be considered."

Oh, and Kazza, for the life of me I have never understood the popularity of "A Kind of Magic" 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 18, 2012 6:50 pm  #25

Great band. Mr.Mercury is one of my favorite male vocalists ever to have lived.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 18, 2012 6:57 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 29, 2012 3:02 am  #26

There must be a connection between Queen and Sherlock ( not Buckingham Palace Queen or Mycroft))), because Freddie Mercury is my idol, as well.
Grew up listening to "Queen" in the late 80ies ( yes, like first love, hypergreenfrog, exactly like that).
Sometimes I don't listen to them for a long time, but I ALWAYS go back, going through periods of Queen obsession. Freddie had the greatest rock voice; the emotion, the precision, the range. The music is sophisticated and soulful and...  I can go on and on. Especially on long road trips, I blast them loud and sing along.
"Kind of Magic"- i like it, but it's far from favorite, when I have SO MANY favorites; songs rather than albums. Jealousy, It's Late, Somebody to Love, Don't Stop Me Now, Love of My Life...  but "Innuendo" breaks my heart every time; I remember going around listening to "I Am Going Slightly Mad"  on repeat and crying when Freddie died.
I tend to gravitate towards classic British bands, though. With a little less mad passion, but I go through "Supertramp" periods, Alan Parson's periods etc ( and many others, I am pretty eclectic... but Freddie owns my heart).

PS... LOL- and now I sit here listening to Queen songs rather than doing stuff.

Last edited by deerstalker (June 29, 2012 3:42 am)

June 29, 2012 12:33 pm  #27

I don't think I ever get out of the Queen phase; always there is a CD or DVD playing with a concert or just album. I think the one thing I am missing is a collection of his work with Montserrat Caballé. There are a few on one of my DVDs I absolutely adore them.
I only saw Queen once, alas, in 1976 when they toured Australia. I think I always thought they'd be back again & again and so was holding out for a while longer. I was such an idiot!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 12:52 pm  #28

kazza474 wrote:

I don't think I ever get out of the Queen phase; always there is a CD or DVD playing with a concert or just album. I think the one thing I am missing is a collection of his work with Montserrat Caballé. There are a few on one of my DVDs I absolutely adore them.
I only saw Queen once, alas, in 1976 when they toured Australia. I think I always thought they'd be back again & again and so was holding out for a while longer. I was such an idiot!

Seeing Queen live in ´76. Wow. That must be a memory you won't forget easily.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 29, 2012 1:02 pm  #29

It blew my little teenage mind, lol.Only the year before I attended my first concert; the Bay City Rollers. So Queen was certainly a mind blowing experience, lol!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 29, 2012 2:03 pm  #30

Now...confess! Did you have a wee tartan scarf to wear to the Rollers' concert?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 16, 2012 6:52 pm  #31

I attended the Queen+Adam Lambert concert on Saturday, 14th July, 2012 at the Hammersmith Apollo in London. It was the last concert of their tour after gigs in Kiev, Moscow, Wroclaw (Poland) and two other Hammersmith concerts the same week.

You can think what you like about Adam Lambert – but he did a very good job.That guy can really sing!
And without him – who knows whether Brian and Roger were still touring? Of course they haven't forgotten how to play. If they just sat at home – what a waste that would be!

Basically, it was a "Greatest Hits" tour – I, being a die-hard Queen fan, could have wished for other stuff, but hey – it was a magnificent show! Brian, Roger (and his son Rufus on a second drum set), Spike Edney on keyboards and Neil Fairclough on bass were having so much fun throughout the really mind blowing show that in the end I definitely wished that "the show must go on". The lightning show was amazing: lots of pyrotechnics and dry-ice fog on stage and an enthusiastic 5.000 people audience who could sing along every word – at least the Queen fans (many even from Japan and New Zealand). The Adam Lambert supporters came especially from the States and Canada where he is obviously very popular particularly amongst the ladies. During my nine hours of queuing and waiting in front of the Apollo (rain included – but I was lucky to be under the roof this time. Some years ago I was wet as a fish when the concert began…) I talked to many of them and it was such great fun that one could nearly forget about the wet cold.
Finally, I made it to the front row (yay!) and during the concert Adam Lambert reached out and touched my hand… though I wore a Brian May T-Shirt  … but – judging from their interactions he seems to be Brian's BFF by now.
Because of the long queuing time I missed the Sherlock Holmes picnic in Regents Park. But as it is announced to be "annual" I think there'll be a chance for me to attend it next year.

Well, here are some of my photos.
It was really hard to concentrate on making photos while being blown away by the show.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 17, 2012 1:17 am  #32

Oh awesome tobe!  I'm glad you had such a great time.  It sounds like you enjoyed every second.  Happy for you!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 17, 2012 3:49 am  #33

You are really lucky to have seen that show; I've been following the progress of the tour since its inception.

One thing I would like to let you know though, regarding this:

tobeornot221b wrote:

You can think what you like about Adam Lambert – but he did a very good job.That guy can really sing!
And without him – who knows whether Brian and Roger were still touring? Of course they haven't forgotten how to play. If they just sat at home – what a waste that would be!

Brian and Roger have NEVER stopped working and frankly (especially Dr Bri) it is amazing how much work these guys are still doing. Off the top of my head they are involved in :

- both are actively working with producing the WWRY musicals. Brian does a few cameos appearances every now & then on special occasions. Both of the guuys are involved in cast selection, script changes etc.
- Dr Bri has founded an animal activist group called "Save Me" which is doing good work in the UK.
- Dr Bri has also set up The London Stereoscopic Company with Elena Vidal to preserve this lost artform which they have with great success.
- Roger has been working hard with the Queen Extravaganza show which saw a lond selection process occur to find members for a Queen sanctioned tribute band.There have been some amazing finds during that project.
- Brian has been very active in writing, producing and performing with Kerry Ellis. She is a protégé of Brian's , an original cast member of WWRY.

Here's a glimpse of the "what's new" page on Brian's website:
Kinda hard to find too many people having that kind of schedule

I could go on and on, as so many other things have come to mind since I started typing this, but in short let it be known that Rog & Dr Bri have never slowed down, have never left the industry that they love so much, have been responsible for many talents coming through in the UK and probably would not know HOW to 'just sit at home'.

Adam Lambert is very fortunate to be working with and learning from the best of the best. In his own right, he has already forged new territory. He is the first rising artist in the USA to be accepted as being openly gay. I would not say Freddie would have been proud of him or pleased with his trail blazing. Nor would I say he is 'like Freddie' because he's very different in many ways, however he suits the band & the songs & carries them off well.
I would not expect the union of Queen + Lambert will last more than a few years (if that) but he has a lot of learning to be done & he has the masters to teach him.
I hope they tour Australia at some stage.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 17, 2012 7:50 am  #34

Oh, God, tobe... I wich I could have been there too. Lucky girl...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 17, 2012 9:39 am  #35

Irene Adler wrote:

Yes, Irene, in hindsight, I can hardly believe my luck, definitely!
Would have been so nice having met you in London as we both were there at the same time...

@ kazza:
I didn't mean that Brian (of all people - his day has to be longer than 24 hours!) and Roger have been idle – not in the least.
But as they would have a singer problem it is therefore essentially up to someone suitable whether Queen will be touring or not.
I was fine with Paul Rodgers in 2005/2008 – though he couldn't do the harder songs very well - but ok! For me anyone (approved by Brian and Roger) will do as a singer as long as I can see them play live.
The highlight of every Queen+ xxx show for me would always be the acoustic set with just Brian sitting on a stool right in front of me  (I would somehow make it to the front row almost every time…) playing "Love of my life" and (with Roger) "39" with the whole audience singing along. Goosebumps! At Hammersmith they even did a song "for John": "You're my best friend" - which I found a lovely nod to him.
Young Adam Lambert of course has to learn a lot – but actually, he definitely has improved since the Kiev concert which I watched by live stream three weeks ago.

I wish all of you Queen fans out there that you could also enjoy a concert in the near future.
The boys are still fantastic!

Last edited by tobeornot221b (July 17, 2012 9:40 am)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 17, 2012 2:26 pm  #36

tobeornot221b wrote:

Irene Adler wrote:

Yes, Irene, in hindsight, I can hardly believe my luck, definitely!
Would have been so nice having met you in London as we both were there at the same time...

I would have love to as well. I didn't know you were there by that time
Anyway, my trip had a pretty tight schedule; I went with three friends and each one wanted to do and see different things. We managed to do almost everything we wanted, but God, I came back so tired...

But I'm sure we will be able to prepare a meet-up of forum members some day

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 19, 2012 8:43 am  #37

Wow.
In my youtubing frenzy I just found a full 1 hour & 45 min video of Freddie's Memorial concert.

I lost my copy years ago but sadly it wasn't as long as this video. Just what I need to play in the background while I am online.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 13, 2012 2:45 pm  #38

OMG OMG OMG

Just watched the Olympic closing ceremony. One part had me in tears.
Yep, Freddie leading the crowd in a sing a long!
He would have LOVED that for so many reasons, not the least of which there are certain countries who would have sung along even though they are NO friends of Queen.
A new generation have now seen his magic in conducting a crowd sing along, heard his vice & then sung along to his song.

Brian's solo was once again magical & showed why he is one of the greats of the guitar world; and I am sure that was Red he had with him.
Brian really revelled in that atmosphere; he's also so perfect for the big occasions.

And good old Rog had a shave, I am impressed!

OK, going to dry my eyes now.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 13, 2012 2:55 pm  #39

I also thought the part with the late, great Freddie was wonderful. Danny Boyle really knows how to work a crowd too doesn't he...although like Moriarty he does it indirectly. I thought Jessie J was great too...an Essex girl ye know.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 13, 2012 4:59 pm  #40

kazza474 wrote:

Brian's solo was once again magical & showed why he is one of the greats of the guitar world; and I am sure that was Red he had with him.

Correctly guessed, Kazza, it was THE guitar, his red special.
You can tell it by the sixpence coin on the headstock.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera