BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2013 9:06 am  #21

Re: POLL: Do you like or hate eating at the cinemas during a movie?

sherlockskitty wrote:

It's ridiculous tho.   I  go to the cinema on discount days,  and often,  the food I get is more expensive than the movie itself!!   Why  do they raise the price of a whoppers box,  to  4  dollars,  when you can buy it elsewhere for a dollar or less?

Easy, the food inside a venue is meant to be more expensive than normal grocery prices Here in Sydney, we have a thing called the Royal Easter Show & if entry was exporbitant enough, the food prices once you get in are more than double the price anywhere else because they know that once you're in, you're kind of stuck there coz you wanna see everything & get your money's worth (from the ticket) so you'll grudgingly pay whatever $ they feel like setting

April 3, 2013 4:09 pm  #22

The mark up on the cost of the popcorn is phenomenal. We tend to go on the cheap nights and a pot of popcorn and a large coke will cost as much as the tickets I.e over £10.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 3, 2013 4:28 pm  #23

I don't need to have something to eat while watching. But if I go to the cinema with my family then we buy some popcorn and I eat it all before the film starts. I don't mind when other people eat during a movie if they do it quietly (and they usually do it quietly).
Talking and laughing is much more annoying...

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

April 3, 2013 4:42 pm  #24

Yeah, the price of popcorn is ridiculous and our cinema is one of the only ones in this area that won't let you bring your own food or drinks! We used to smuggle bottles of juice in under our jackets but that's just too much effort!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

April 4, 2013 6:37 pm  #25

I'm fat, can you guess how I voted?

April 4, 2013 6:45 pm  #26

If it's a long movie I sometimes get some popcorn.
The food at the cinema is just so expensive and you're not allowed to bring your own.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

April 4, 2013 8:10 pm  #27

I like popcorn and pop (soft drink, soda) at a movie, but I can't have any for a while because I just got braces!

February 6, 2014 3:26 pm  #28

I'm not a big fan of eating in public; but I usually get a tub of popcorn and a soda when I go see a movie. I think it's more an emotional thing as it sort of sets the mood of being in a movie theater 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 6, 2014 3:50 pm  #29

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I'm not a big fan of eating in public; but I usually get a tub of popcorn and a soda when I go see a movie. I think it's more an emotional thing as it sort of sets the mood of being in a movie theater 

yea, that's about it.  I feel naked without my popcorn. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 6, 2014 5:41 pm  #30

I eat during the trailers before the movie starts. But I have a trick - take note of what food and drink they sell. They sell bottles of juice and stuff and bags of chocolate. So I go to a cheap shop in town before going to the cinema, and buy stuff that's just like what the cinema sells. When you go in, pretend you don't want anything, and when you sit down you can take stuff out of your bag. Who's going to know? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

February 6, 2014 5:46 pm  #31

If my friend and I want candy during a movie that's always the way we do it; we go to a pick'n'mix and stash out purses! And as soon as the lights are out, out comes the cheap sweets!

Candy in movie theaters is way over-priced! 

I must say a pet hate of mine is when people bring bags of crisps, I am half deaf on my left ear and I have a hard time following conversation in movies sometimes; esecially if there is other noise. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 6, 2014 7:31 pm  #32

kittykat wrote:

I eat during the trailers before the movie starts. But I have a trick - take note of what food and drink they sell. They sell bottles of juice and stuff and bags of chocolate. So I go to a cheap shop in town before going to the cinema, and buy stuff that's just like what the cinema sells. When you go in, pretend you don't want anything, and when you sit down you can take stuff out of your bag. Who's going to know? 

I always buy gummy bears in a cheap shop before I go to the cinema.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

February 6, 2014 8:20 pm  #33

I think sneaking candy into the movies may be the most popular rule violation in all the world.

I worked part time at a cinema for a couple of years and you would be amazed at some of the other things people have snuck in.  I once found an pizza box and a 6 pack of empty beer bottles.  Don't know how they got those in.  

Last edited by tonnaree (February 6, 2014 8:21 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 6, 2014 8:31 pm  #34

I'm sorry, I just don't get this ' sneaking thing'.
I just sit and openly eat and drink my own stuff

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 6, 2014 9:25 pm  #35

"Military Movie Watchers", great, I'm one of them, I'm afraid.
I always tend to be lucky enough to have someone sitting right beside or behind me with a huge bucket of popcorn... just perfect. I really, really can do without people rustling around in their popcorn bucket or crisps or whatever. But I guess I'm some sort of special case because I am extremely clairaudient. So I basically hear... everything.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 6, 2014 9:28 pm  #36

That's like me...
It extends to the fact that I hear every comment about me and see every face pulled at me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 7, 2014 11:01 am  #37

I'm afraid I hate people crunching and munching in the cinema so I try not to do the same! Or else I'll bring in some nibbles that are silent when eaten!

February 7, 2014 11:11 am  #38

I always make sure what ever I bring I can eat silently... And yes I can eat pop-corn silently 

Once I almost chocked because I was holding back a cough during a movie; I had to wait till someone else coughed. (Well also because I hate my cough, I cough like a chipmunk...)

I even did the same when I was the only person at the movie theater when watching In Time...

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (February 7, 2014 11:12 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 7, 2014 1:58 pm  #39

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I even did the same when I was the only person at the movie theater when watching In Time...

That must have felt strange...being the only one in the cinema!!

February 8, 2014 5:53 pm  #40

It was! I couldn't fully enjoy the movie to be honest. I was constantly scared they would stop it and I felt really watched as well... the usher kept 'checking in' on me as I sat there...

I still don't understand why they did it though; I know they already paid for the movie and I had my ticket. But well... At least I got to see the movie 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera