BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2014 1:51 pm  #1

Medical repercussions of being shot in the heart.

Do you think this will be addressed in the 4th series?

I know that he recovered from it in hospital but you can't get shot that close to a vital organ without some sort of long term effect. I know someone who had a wrist operation & it still aches in Winter even though the original ailment was resolved at the time.

Can't help imagining his friends trying to keep him away from "excitement" in case he goes into cardiac arrest & failing miserably They can never stop Sherlock from seeking adventure even if they tried 

Last edited by saturnR (January 22, 2014 1:52 pm)

January 22, 2014 1:53 pm  #2

Re: Medical repercussions of being shot in the heart.

Do we know he was shot in the heart at all?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 22, 2014 1:58 pm  #3

He was shot in (at least) the liver.  He wasn't shot in the heart, which is further up.  If the bullet had ended up in his heart, I'm sure they would have mentioned it....and I'm sure he would have been dead, too XD

The liver can heal and even regenerate itself to an extent.  The biggest risk of hitting the liver is that the liver is rich in blood supply and you can bleed to death quickly (which was addressed in the episode).  Of course, the bullet could have traveled throughout the body hitting other organs, but we have no other information about that, so we can't speculate.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 22, 2014 2:03 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 22, 2014 2:00 pm  #4

Somewhere here on the forum someone (I think it was TeeJay) posted a picture of Sherlock with the organs visible, like in a medical book. It implied that his liver got hit, but I can't remember which thread that was.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 22, 2014 2:00 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 22, 2014 2:04 pm  #5

I just looked up some medical charts and it is indeed the liver where he was hit. The problem is the strong bleeding with this sort of injury. The liver, however, regenerates itself so the prognosis should be quite good. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2014 2:55 pm  #6

sj4iy wrote:

... The biggest risk of hitting the liver is that the liver is rich in blood supply and you can bleed to death quickly (which was addressed in the episode). ...

Right. And that is even more right for the heart. It would have killed him in a few seconds if it hadn't been the liver but the heart.
Thinking of that, Mary is not that evil, after all 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 26, 2014 2:30 pm  #7

Here's the image I posted in the other thread. The bullet impact is in purple, the liver I've circled in green.

January 27, 2014 6:49 pm  #8

*reads title of thread*

*sings* Shot through the heart, and you're to blame!

Sorry ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 27, 2014 7:12 pm  #9

Oh Great! Now I'm going to have that song running on repeat in my head all week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

February 6, 2014 12:52 am  #10

The only person that shot Sherlock in the heart was John. Shot with rejection when John got marriieeddddd.... ANYWAY, yeah with Mary being an assassin and all, I think she knew liver was a good spot to shoot so he would survive. I don't think that there will be much mention of his injury in the next season.

Board footera