BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2012 1:27 pm  #21

Re: The amazing Una Stubbs aka Mrs Hudson

If you love Una and want to send her any fanmail then you can do so via her agents:
Rebecca Blond Agents
69A Kings Road
London SW3 4NX

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2013 5:54 pm  #22

Hey guys!   Or, more specifically, heya to all of our Brits on here!  Little bit short notice, as I just noticed a little blurb Sherlockology posted about it, but apparently Una is on tonight's 'Who Do You Think You Are'?  Cool... I watched a few bits of the one Martin was on, and it's really neat to see where it goes with each person.  Here's the info:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037lfg6

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 31, 2014 9:10 am  #23

The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time is going to be shown in Cinemas via NT theatre live from 22nd May 2014. I am definitely going to go and see this. The trailers for it that I saw last night are very inticing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 31, 2014 9:14 am  #24

The book is very good. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 31, 2014 9:32 am  #25

Yes, it is an excellent novel. Such an unusual viewpoint. The staging looks so unusual.

January 31, 2014 10:00 am  #26

Davina wrote:

The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time is going to be shown in Cinemas via NT theatre live from 22nd May 2014. I am definitely going to go and see this. The trailers for it that I saw last night are very inticing.

I think half of the audience went "Una...!" when the trailer was shown yesterday.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 31, 2014 10:02 am  #27

Davina wrote:

I think half of the audience went "Una...!" when the trailer was shown yesterday.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 31, 2014 1:08 pm  #28

SolarSystem wrote:

Davina wrote:

Yes :-) It was exactly the same in the cinema, I went yesterday. Pity, it doesn't show The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time :-( .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 31, 2014 1:44 pm  #29

stoertebeker wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Davina wrote:

Yes :-) It was exactly the same in the cinema, I went yesterday. Pity, it doesn't show The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time :-( .

It was quite amazing, first they all went "Una...!" and then they all started laughing, probably because that was the final proof that there were lots and lots of Hiddlebatchlock-fangirls in the cinema.

January 31, 2014 4:11 pm  #30

Davina wrote:

Yes, it is an excellent novel. Such an unusual viewpoint. The staging looks so unusual.

Book is a favorite of mine.  Especially since my son has high functioning Aspergers.   Would be fascinating to see the play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 31, 2014 9:10 pm  #31

Hopefully it will screened somewhere near you. It moving to Broadway shortly as well.

January 31, 2014 10:14 pm  #32

May 1, 2014 11:14 am  #33

Happy birthday Una!

May 25, 2014 9:36 am  #34

Forgot to post this...I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time on Thursday. This is a fantastic production. Una has quite a big role in it. Her background training in dance would also have been helpful at it is a very physical piece of theatre. I thoroughly recommend any one who can to go and see it, whether it be at the cinema or live on stage. The certificate for the cinemas showing here is 15 and I would say that is correct as there is quite a lot of swearing, some violence and also some of the events themselves are fairly traumatic. Finally though, it is an uplifting story of a boy with autism. I even understood the maths at the end (for me this is almost unheard of). The ways in which various incidents during the story are shown on stage are very imaginative. You can see why this has won awards. The lead role is a very demanding one in all respects and the actor did an amazing job with it.

June 12, 2014 12:35 am  #35

I'd like to see those pictures! 

Una Stubbs

Una Stubbs has been on television screens for nearly 60 years, making her breakthrough in Til Death Do Us Part in 1966, and currently playing landlady Mrs Hudson in BBC One’s hit series Sherlock. Una is also an accomplished water-colourist and exhibits her work at exhibitions near her Mayfair home to great acclaim. For many years, Una has sketched vignettes of characters around the streets of London and on her film sets. She currently has two pictures included in the Royal Academy’s prestigious Summer Exhibition of her Sherlock co-stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 12, 2014 4:48 am  #36

KeepersPrice wrote:

I'd like to see those pictures!

Me too!

Edit - ok, so I didn't really expect many results on Google if she just does her art for herself/local exhibitions (or if they were being secretive about entries during it's run), but wanted to see if there was anything more shown about that Royal thing.  First somewhat unrelated but completely awesome link talks about her excitement being involved with an actual show upcoming for amateur artists!
https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/una-stubbs-present-painting-show-230745113.html

And then… well, what do you know… a link about 'Una Stubbs painting her costars', so I clicked this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/sherlocks-benedict-cumberbatch-and-martin-freeman-painted-by-costar-una-stubbs-9493247.html

Um… two things come to mind.  First, I learned that this Exhibition is known for an eclectic mix of the public, and professional, from good, to strange, which might be what this was going for.  But (and I think Una's wonderful, so hopefully don't hate me saying this) . . . am I the only one thinking from that previous description that she had a decent amount of skill, and expected to see something a little more… refined?  Or… is this article/source even accurate?      Honestly, just wondering!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 23, 2015 7:31 pm  #37

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 23, 2015 8:27 pm  #38

Lovely and funny paintings! And a good way how to earn some bucks! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 8:32 pm  #39

Isn't she lovely! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 23, 2015 8:40 pm  #40

She definitely is! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera