BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2014 10:55 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

besleybean wrote:

I'd rather you didn't...
(remembers why I don't do tumblr)

Fortunately iPads and tumblr don't mix very well; I got lost in it once and it is not an experience I wish to repeat. 

I do think that the opinion of the actor playing the role is quite important; it's so central to the show that I cannot see how it makes sense to argue that actually Sherlock is completely asexual or locked in the closet or whatever...

January 24, 2014 11:01 pm  #42

besleybean wrote:

I actually think he meant relationships were not his area.

It's probably open to interpretation and, like someone here already said, left ambiguous.
Sherlock says: "Girlfriend, no, not really my area." So that's what it means to me, that having a girlfriend is not his area. And yes, he also says that he's married to his work, but according to my interpretation that means if he wasn't married to his work, he'd go for a boyfriend and not a girlfriend.
Here's the scene again, for anyone who's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYpOEqGBCo

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 24, 2014 11:03 pm  #43

The look he passes to John to me is quite clearly: why are you asking me if I have a boyfriend?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2014 11:08 pm  #44

I think he is interested in women basically. Especially the woman thing shows it to me.
He seemed to like Janine's present, although she started to disturb him, when he wanted to work.
I think it is just, that he has no time for a relationship and getting involved doesn't help...
He doesn't have a woman to get in trouble about caring, but he has a best friend instead, who is like a brother to him - John...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 24, 2014 11:14 pm  #45

besleybean wrote:

The look he passes to John to me is quite clearly: why are you asking me if I have a boyfriend?

Well, and this can mean two things.
1. "Why are you asking me if I have a boyfriend, I'm not gay!"
2. "Why are you asking me if I have a boyfriend, are you interested?"

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 24, 2014 11:15 pm  #46

And the wide smile John gives him then shows an option for 2

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 24, 2014 11:18 pm  #47

Well we both know he doesn't have a boyfriend and John isn't interested. And I'm fairly sure Sherlock deduced John was straight, as soon as he met him.
Still interesting that he chooses not to have a relationship.

Last edited by besleybean (January 24, 2014 11:18 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 25, 2014 12:47 am  #48

I always thought he was sexual , both in canon and this series.
It is as he says a choice for him , he turns it off like other human emotions, empathy , hunger etc.
So do nuns/monks/strict religeous types etc and no one says...oh all asexual...(never got tht.) His work is his primary motivation.

I don't understand why he has to labelled and stuck in a gay straight bi field tho , with people guarding the gate, or even John.
Life/love not that simple.
Especially the Holmes type.

Tho..if all disguises a self portrait...he used to be a vicar...but now he is a ..gay french waiter? And when he is drunk...he is suddenly uh..dainty?

Last edited by lil (January 25, 2014 12:55 am)

January 25, 2014 1:51 am  #49

SolarSystem wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I actually think he meant relationships were not his area.

It's probably open to interpretation and, like someone here already said, left ambiguous.
Sherlock says: "Girlfriend, no, not really my area." So that's what it means to me, that having a girlfriend is not his area. And yes, he also says that he's married to his work, but according to my interpretation that means if he wasn't married to his work, he'd go for a boyfriend and not a girlfriend.
Here's the scene again, for anyone who's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYpOEqGBCo

That's always been how I saw that scene too Solar.  
But I don't know if I would just say he's gay.  There's such a broad spectrum of sexuality and I think Sherlock my slide up and down the scale a bit.  I think bottom line he's more attracked to intellect and character than "transport."  So, depending on the person he could be attracted to men or woman.

Is there such a thing as Semi-Bisexual?  LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 25, 2014 8:28 am  #50

I am honestly not trying to be difficult about this...
But the whole point is, it doesn't matter with Sherlock Holmes.
Tha's not what he's about.
I do hope people are not watching the whole thing, waitiing to see who he'll finally get off with,cos it ain't gonna happen.
This is exactly the theme the writers play with throughout the entire show:
Why are people obsessed with sex and sexuality?
If somebody's not obviously into women, aopparently they are immediately gay or bisexual at least..
We are suppsed to be above this and beyond that.
He's not interested.
And some of us are glad.
Every other show on TV in the end is about shagging...but not Sherlock. Please leave us this ONE show as it is.
And for Johnlockers: enjoy the bromance.
It is the most beautiful, moving, pure, self-sacrificing form of love you can have the pleasure to behold.

Last edited by besleybean (January 25, 2014 8:29 am)

January 25, 2014 9:29 am  #51

To insinuate people who think differently are simply obsessed with sex and sexuality is kind of weird.

Back to topic: I think it is clear what Benedict said, isn't it?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 25, 2014 9:38 am  #52

Yes. Sherlock is not asexual. We do not know about his sexual orientation. He chooses to distance himself from sexuality in order to concentrate on his work. He has had some sexual experience at a point in his life. I think this sums it up. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 25, 2014 9:52 am  #53

besley, if there are people out there who watch the show in order so see who Sherlock will eventually get off with, well just let them. I'm sure people watch the show for all kinds of reasons, and if this is one of them - who cares? You watch the show for your reasons, others watch the show for canon, others again watch it because of Benedict... really, I couldn't care less. It doesn't influence the show one bit, the show is what Mofftiss decide to do with it.

And I agree with Harriet, this has nothing to do with being obsessed with sex and sexuality. We talk about thousands of topics on this board, why shouldn't sexuality be one of them?

January 25, 2014 11:25 am  #54

Well to be fair, I don't think any of us said it shouldn't be disucssed and infact that's exactly what we've been doing.

January 25, 2014 12:32 pm  #55

I see Sherlock as someone who could be sexual if he wanted to be but simply chooses not to because it would get in the way of his work. Just like nuns/monks etc.

During his time with Janine, the hospital scene clarifies that they didn't have sex, but I'd be curious to know what he did do to keep up the pretence of being her boyfriend (sorry for sounding naughty!). A little bit more than kisses, surely? And if they did indulge in a little bit more, how Sherlock responded to the intimacies. Was he thinking 'oh god, let's just get this over with, I can't stand this,' or, as a man, there was some interest...some response...do you know what I mean? ;) :D

January 25, 2014 12:43 pm  #56

I think the indication was meant to be that they did no more than the necessary kisisng and cuddling for the pretence.

January 25, 2014 2:16 pm  #57

Maybe it is also the whole stuff to have sex which bores him. You know, having conversation with people who are not nearly as intelligent as him.

Furthermore, I see the characters as Mofftiss created them. If they say Sherlock is not asexual, he is not.

Last edited by Criosdan (January 25, 2014 2:21 pm)

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 25, 2014 2:28 pm  #58

besleybean wrote:

I think the indication was meant to be that they did no more than the necessary kisisng and cuddling for the pretence.

But do we know what they did in the batroom? Sounded intimate somehow...how far did they go...
Maybe Janine joined him... in the bath tub? Right, in the hospital scene they made clear that they didn't go until the end but... how much is "necessary"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 25, 2014 2:29 pm  #59

Oh yes, I have to accept what the writers and actor say, even if I disagree with them!
So let's also remember that Benedict said he believed Sherlock was attracted to Irene...and I disagree with him on that too, but have to accept what he says.
The writers and actors know more about their vision than I do and in the case of the writers, they also know the Canon better.
@gently: well I hope as they both know John is waiting in  the living room, they would have had the decency not to do very much...Janine was late for work, anyway.

Last edited by besleybean (January 25, 2014 2:36 pm)

January 25, 2014 2:38 pm  #60

tonnaree wrote:

There's such a broad spectrum of sexuality and I think Sherlock my slide up and down the scale a bit.  I think bottom line he's more attracked to intellect and character than "transport."  So, depending on the person he could be attracted to men or woman. LOL

You do make a good point there. For Sherlock, it doesn't matter about gender. 

All I meant in my first post on this thread is that he doesn't have physcial and/or sexual attraction towards anyone, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have an attraction per say. I mean look at how he looks at John. I do believe Sherlock has an attraction to John, but not in that way. It is his character and potential(But you got to love the stares he gives. XD)  Moriarty and Irene carry a different attraction as they challenge his mind and we know how Sherlock enjoys cleverness. 

If Sherlock has had or tried sex as an experiment, that I believe is open to interpretation, And despite my opinion on that, it is nice to see it being explored in fanfiction. 

Board footera