BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 4:48 pm  #1

The BAFTA screening Q & A

Here is the link. Please tell me if it has already been posted and I will delete it.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/28843/sherlock-his-last-vow-qa-with-steven-moffat-amanda-abbington-lars-mikkelsen-more#ixzz2qMrEM9Co

What intrigued me is Steven Moffat confirming that Sherlock loses part of his brilliant abilities when allowing himself to feel. What does this mean for the future of Sherlock? Back to all brains and no feelings? Allowing himself to make mistakes? Or is there a compromise?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2014 5:25 pm  #2

Re: The BAFTA screening Q & A

I think he can manage it when he doesn't have to worry about his friends all the time. Maybe a proper case without any personal involvement would be good for him. Makes him stronger again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 14, 2014 8:41 pm  #3

SusiGo wrote:

Here is the link. Please tell me if it has already been posted and I will delete it.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/28843/sherlock-his-last-vow-qa-with-steven-moffat-amanda-abbington-lars-mikkelsen-more#ixzz2qMrEM9Co

What intrigued me is Steven Moffat confirming that Sherlock loses part of his brilliant abilities when allowing himself to feel. What does this mean for the future of Sherlock? Back to all brains and no feelings? Allowing himself to make mistakes? Or is there a compromise?

Either a compromise, or he learns to deal with it and other people - first and foremost John - learn that he isn't invincible and needs their support as much they need his.

Last edited by Ozma (January 14, 2014 8:56 pm)

January 14, 2014 9:23 pm  #4

I think we will see lots of slightly different Sherlocks in future episodes. Whether through 'growing' or circumstance.
Gatiss/Moffat have indicated as much; and I can't see Benedict just reprising a charactor who never develops. Its not the sort of actor he is, or what he seems to enjoy. 
Same with John. I think that has been a theme throughout S3. He is no longer the dutiful sidekick who exclaims 'brilliant' after every deduction.

January 15, 2014 2:53 pm  #5

No real person (apart from a few psychopaths and brain damaged people) are either brains or feelings. It's always both and so it will be for Sherlock.

As for future developments, if he is clever he's gonna learn how his emotions affect his reasoning. I think most people tend to be rather unaware how this happens, it's amazingly hard to see, especially when you're used to push your emotions away. 

January 15, 2014 3:04 pm  #6

silverblaze wrote:

No real person (apart from a few psychopaths and brain damaged people) are either brains or feelings. It's always both and so it will be for Sherlock.

As for future developments, if he is clever he's gonna learn how his emotions affect his reasoning. I think most people tend to be rather unaware how this happens, it's amazingly hard to see, especially when you're used to push your emotions away. 

What I think is... he will be in the process of learning how to handle this (because after all it had never happened to him before, to care so much) but before he completes this process his emotions will get the better of him again. And other people around him (John, first of all) will learn he, too, needs help.

And this is when I think the Mary story arc will be complete.

Last edited by Ozma (January 15, 2014 3:05 pm)

January 15, 2014 3:29 pm  #7

silverblaze wrote:

I'll ignore that first sentence, pretty offensive statement really.

As for Sherlock, he always knew how emotions affect reasoning, has learned how it affects HIS reasoning and , if the creators stay true to their planned progression, I doubt we will see this ever happen to him again. He knows when to APPEAR to be affected by emotion, but he isn't really affected as he has a set plan that he is setting in motion eg becoming engaged to Janine.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 15, 2014 3:56 pm  #8

That wasn't meant to be offensive. I think you misread. But I'll be more clear then.

1. Most people cannot be just cold reasoning or just emotions. We're bound to have both.

2. There are certain brain injuries and psychiatric conditions that can eliminate certain types of emotions. I'm not talking about that. (For information, read Damascio's 'Descartes Error'.)

January 15, 2014 4:11 pm  #9

kazza474 wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

As for Sherlock, he always knew how emotions affect reasoning, has learned how it affects HIS reasoning and , if the creators stay true to their planned progression, I doubt we will see this ever happen to him again. He knows when to APPEAR to be affected by emotion, but he isn't really affected as he has a set plan that he is setting in motion eg becoming engaged to Janine.

Do you see this as every emotion we have seen Sherlock express has been false?  Even those he's expressed to John?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2014 4:59 pm  #10

Well, if the writer himself says that Sherlock's abilities are (at least for the time being) compromised by emotion I am bound to believe him. Please remember that our Sherlock is the brain child of Moffat and Gatiss even if we do not always like what they do. 

As for your questions, tonnaree - no, I do not believe that the emotions he expresses towards John are false. Nor those he showes to the other people close to him. He lied to Janine which is pure Canon. That is all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 6:49 pm  #11

ok.  thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2014 9:20 am  #12

tonnaree wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

Do you see this as every emotion we have seen Sherlock express has been false?  Even those he's expressed to John?

No, as I said he learned how emotions affected his reasoning, so he did 'drop his guard' somewhat in quite a few places thus far & allow emotions to infiltrate his thoughts & hence reasoning. But he has matured somewhat now, has learned when it's ok to have & show feelings and when it is time to shut down and get on with the job at hand. He's less apprehensive about what needs to be done in certain situations, he just does whatever is necessary & pushes the emotions to one side. eg Janine, eg Shooting CAM.
"Romanticise at your peril."

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 16, 2014 9:34 am  #13

kazza474 wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

No, as I said he learned how emotions affected his reasoning, so he did 'drop his guard' somewhat in quite a few places thus far & allow emotions to infiltrate his thoughts & hence reasoning. But he has matured somewhat now, has learned when it's ok to have & show feelings and when it is time to shut down and get on with the job at hand. He's less apprehensive about what needs to be done in certain situations, he just does whatever is necessary & pushes the emotions to one side. eg Janine, eg Shooting CAM.
"Romanticise at your peril."

But he hasn't learned when it's okay to show and have feelings and when it is time to shut down at all. He has been much slower this season due to his feelings. I think this is a good and human thing, but from a logical-old-Sherlock-point-of-view new-Sherlock has messed up, has dropped his guard and got way too involved at the expense of his skills.

January 16, 2014 9:56 am  #14

Slower?
I don't see that at all.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

January 16, 2014 10:15 am  #15

Hera, I agree, he got slower, emotions got in his way, he was wrong on several occasions.
When he hears John's voice in his head in TEH, something definitely gets in his way, and I would say this something is John. Sherlock is confused, he says to Lestrade that John is kind of out of the picture, and IMO Sherlock miscalculated John's reaction to his return. He never even dreamt it might be possible that John could not be 'in the picture' again.
And there's more. The huge deduction scene during the wedding and the fact that he obviously was wrong about CAM's vault - and also about Mary. He did see, but he did not observe. At least not the way he usually does.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2014 10:27 am  #16

We were warned about this before S3. That Sherlock wouldnt be fully tuned in and it would take him some time to adjust. Maybe in S4 he will correct this and become more detached. We caught a glimpse of this in his treatment of Janine.

January 16, 2014 12:19 pm  #17

Thing is, when you suppress emotions they don't actually go away. They just infiltrate your thought process without your awareness. Better be aware of them if you really want to be good at reasoning. 

January 24, 2014 11:33 am  #18

Board footera