BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2014 6:31 am  #1

Girls: What would you do about the longest speech at your wedding?

I know Sherlock show is not known for its sense of realism. I know that Sherlock is from John's side & not Mary's but I do know that of all the weddings that I have ever witnessed/been part of there is ABSOLUTELY no way in hell the bride would not tell the speech maker to put a sock in it if the speech went for more than an hour lol.

I know it was very funny in the show & all but was just wondering what you guyses experiences have been with bloody long speeches at a wedding (whether your own or a friend's).

The closest one I've ever come across wasn't even at a wedding, it was at an engagement party. speech maker was reading from a paper for a good 20 mins & basically giving a biographical account of her child & giving little to no credit to the person that her child will eventually marry. But coz she was a parent; obviously no one was brave enough to tell her to shut up

so two questions:

(1) If you had a Sherlock at your wedding & he won't shut up, what would you do about it if it was your wedding?
(2) anecdotes: what's a situation similar to the one on the show where a speech giver just won't shut up that you have experienced in real life?

Last edited by saturnR (January 21, 2014 6:32 am)

January 22, 2014 4:49 am  #2

Re: Girls: What would you do about the longest speech at your wedding?

saturnR wrote:

anecdotes: what's a situation similar to the one on the show where a speech giver just won't shut up that you have experienced in real life?

God, yes.

Among the funnier ones:

- at a medical conference:  the microphone was simply turned off. And then replaced with an a-capella musical interlude by the moderator.

- quite a while ago but memorable: a medical internal gathering where we got paged for fake to get us away from the droning on and on about (wait for it) how to use the new telephone system! The general consensus was that we really got that one figured out after about 80 minutes into the 'talk'.

- and my favourite from lasy year: the MC stepped towards the speaker and threatened a fake kiss, enough to break the spell and make the speaker realise they were overtime! Yeah, conferences can be fun... lol.

January 22, 2014 5:54 am  #3

The Doctor wrote:

- at a medical conference:  the microphone was simply turned off. And then replaced with an a-capella musical interlude by the moderator.

- quite a while ago but memorable: a medical internal gathering where we got paged for fake to get us away from the droning on and on about (wait for it) how to use the new telephone system! The general consensus was that we really got that one figured out after about 80 minutes into the 'talk'.

- and my favourite from lasy year: the MC stepped towards the speaker and threatened a fake kiss, enough to break the spell and make the speaker realise they were overtime! Yeah, conferences can be fun... lol.

Okay, so when you called yourself "The Doctor", you weren't kidding What do you do? Are you a GP?

January 22, 2014 12:47 pm  #4

To be honest, I don't remember any of the speeches.  Really.  I sort of dazed out at the point.  They could have talked for as long as Sherlock, but I don't remember.

I do remember the dancing.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 22, 2014 1:47 pm  #5

My dad talked for more than an hour at my wedding, and him being a barrister he quoted from several law text books!
Everyone was astonished, but not annoyed or bored. Still a good story after 13 years...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 22, 2014 2:07 pm  #6

Our best man did a lovely and funny speech comparing my husband to a knight in armour who at the beginning drove in his ramshackle old VW Beetle to visit his lady in her castle aka her parents' flat. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 22, 2014 2:08 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2014 2:10 pm  #7

There were no speeches at the weddings I was invited to. Only silly games.

But I had such speeches and I just got into my mind palace when it got boring. (I don't even do this on purpose it just happens.)

With Sherlock talking, I guess one would have some fun if one has that sense of humour.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 23, 2014 7:52 am  #8

I just wanted to point out that Sherlock's speech is not as long as it could seem: we are following the train of his thoughts, but what he actually says is much shorter (think about the moment he drops his glass - just a split second in a real life but about 3 minutes of the screen time)

Board footera