BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 4:40 pm  #1

The Sherlockian

My high school requires us to read "one book of an appropriate level that you have not read before" every summer, which is never a challenge for me, but I usually start my summer out with one book in mind.

This year it was "The Sherlockian" by Graham Moore, which is an excellent book. It's really got more about Conan Doyle than about Sherlock, but it is nonetheless a fun, hilarious, wonderful book. I highly recommend it for anyone even moderately interested in the canon and the Grand/Great Game.

So yeah, has anyone else read it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 13, 2012 5:35 pm  #2

Re: The Sherlockian

I haven't but I'm going to try and get it and read it after your glowing recommendation. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 6:05 pm  #3

Me, too. Avid reader and love recommendations.
Thanks.

Last edited by veecee (June 13, 2012 6:05 pm)

June 14, 2012 8:37 am  #4

Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 7, 2012 5:01 pm  #5

I loved it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 7:20 pm  #6

I started a new thread for this book under the "non-Sherlock books" forum. Ooops. I guess I didn't think it would go under the "pastiches" heading. I think of those as books with Holmes and Watson as characters.

I'll re-post my question, in The Sherlockian, the suffragists / feminists are mad at Doyle (with good reason, he is not their ally). But they ENCOURAGE the revival of Sherlock Holmes (it never seems to occur to them to boycott Holmes because they're offended by Doyle, as many modern activists would  ). In fact, it is implied that these real-life crimes and the plight of the women are the reason Doyle brings Holmes back.

Holmes seems to stand for some principle or ideal that they want to "revive" but I'm not exactly sure what that was.

The "Doyle" parts of the book ARE based on the life of Doyle as it is known...but there IS one volume of the diary that was never found, as the author explains in an afterward.

Also (assuming this part is accurate), although Doyle opposes women's suffrage, he falls in love with a woman who is "unafraid to think and express herself as if she were a man"...which he admires her for.

January 19, 2014 7:28 pm  #7

I loved this book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera