BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 7:03 pm  #21

Re: Least favourable fan review of S3 I've read so far...

Lol, it was just an example. There are many such stretches in the episode. Most importantly, may be, there was not way for Moriarty's assassin to know where they should position themselves to kill Watson, who was on move: there was no way to forsee that he would arrive to Barth in a given moment and stand in a given place. (mrs Hudson and Lestrade were more predictable). Also, Sherlock could just call Watson and tell him not to come in taxi to Barth, but to go and hide somewhere else . I am not nitpicking here, just telling that it is better not to de-construct the script too much, for our own sake.

January 18, 2014 7:54 pm  #22

miriel68 wrote:

Creators/writers today have surely a difficult life, given that new technologies give the fans a possibility to watch and re-watch every tiny detail and spot all errors etc.

And it won't increase their enjoyment of it. And it's a pity, it really is, they see continuity errors, or they see logical problems or whatever, all negative things, and they don't see how brilliantly the writers play with expectations, set up our knowledge, hint to a certain direction and then surprise us, pace the emotional impact of a scene, change approach just before they become predictable. None of those so-called critics could ever write like the Moftiss, yet they whine and whine. Sorry, I'm a bit attached to the show too, I think, and those people are really getting on my nerves. Don't watch it if you don't like it, end of story. They have 8 million viewers, they won't miss you. 

miriel68 wrote:

And for Sherlock to be a cult series now has its good and bad sides, because a part of the fandom tends to treat it as kind of real thing and - worse - to feel they "own" the series because the are so ardent about it. I think this board is really very sane, compared to some other places, where the people claim to know better than Moffat and Gatiss what are the sentiments between Sherlock and John or feel entitled to maintain that they M&G have "no right" to say or to write certain things.

If the fandom is really as you describe I will from now on call myself a casual viewer. That's just ridiculous. 

Most people on this board are nice, agreed, and I enjoyed the discussions and fun that people were having. Maybe I will stick around. 

BTW, if you're looking for plot holes, look a act 6 of THOB. There's one you can drive a bus through and it doesn't matter because the solution is totally badass. 

January 18, 2014 8:02 pm  #23

Swanpride wrote:

The assassins were hired by Moriaty, and if I were Moriaty, I would be able to predict that John would come straight back as soon as he realizes that Mrs. Hudson is okay and this was just a ruse to lure him away.

^This.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 18, 2014 8:11 pm  #24

silverblaze wrote:

There are fans here with a medical, scientific or forensic background and we have to suspend disbelief all the time, 'cause the technical side doesn't make sense all the time either. Some people can, some can't and that's fine, difference of taste, I hope they find something else that they do like. Something really realistic perhaps.

This. I could write a book about medical inaccuracies in this show if I went on a nit picking mission. They don't bother me or affect my enjoyment of the show in anyway though. Getting things 'right' can really get in a way of creating good entertainment sometimes. I realise that a bit of dramatic lisence is needed from time to time to propel the plot.

January 18, 2014 8:31 pm  #25

belis wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

There are fans here with a medical, scientific or forensic background and we have to suspend disbelief all the time, 'cause the technical side doesn't make sense all the time either. Some people can, some can't and that's fine, difference of taste, I hope they find something else that they do like. Something really realistic perhaps.

This. I could write a book about medical inaccuracies in this show if I went on a nit picking mission. They don't bother me or affect my enjoyment of the show in anyway though. Getting things 'right' can really get in a way of creating good entertainment sometimes. I realise that a bit of dramatic lisence is needed from time to time to propel the plot.

The writers have said numerous times that Sherlock is set in a 'heightened' world.  It's not an exact parallel to our own, so there are always going to be incredible coincidences and an unbelievable lack of consequences...but that's the point- it's fiction.  The original stories were written in the same way...it's quite easy to nitpick Doyle's work, especially by today's scientific standards.  But that misses the entire point...I'm not looking for 'real life'...I'm looking for 'excitement' and 'fun'.  I see the same thing happen in so many fandoms...LotR, Doctor Who, and now Sherlock.  People fall in love with a certain 'version' of it, and can't stand to see that formula changed at all, even if it's in the best interest of the show.  "Sherlock" needed a formula change this series, because they needed to focus on the characters and their relationships with one another in order to create drama.  Not everyone is going to like that, but it doesn't mean that something is wrong with the show.  It simply means that the writers felt that it was more important to focus on John, Sherlock and Mary in the first two episodes in order to make "His Last Vow" stunning...which it was.  We've yet to see how this will work in Series 4, but I think it was important to see the characters change and grow this series, otherwise, what would have been the point?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 18, 2014 8:37 pm  #26

They've changed and grown in each series so far, so I don't see why that should change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 8:44 pm  #27

Of course it was a ruse. But really there was nothing to prevent Sherlock (especially once Moriarty was dead) to call Watson and tell him not to come to Bart. Only it would ruin the drama, wouldn't it? In any case, this conversation is going out of track a bit Were were discussing the risks of getting over-involved emotionally in a piece of fiction to the point of loosing the distinction between the rules of the real life and tv show. It is not to say, that a movie shouldn't be tightly written and intelligent (and possibly hide plot holes smartly). But can't we agree that movie logic works just a tiny bit differently from the everyday life logic? I am sure that if the author of the linked review were able to distance herself just a bit from her beloved characters, she would be able to come to a more lucid judgement of the show.

January 18, 2014 9:04 pm  #28

This whole thing basically reminds me of this:

http://www.theonion.com/video/trekkies-bash-new-star-trek-film-as-fun-watchable,14333/

(copy and paste, it won't link the whole thing for some reason)

Last edited by sj4iy (January 18, 2014 9:07 pm)

January 18, 2014 9:09 pm  #29

Tee Hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 10:20 pm  #30

Haha, loved that Star Trek thing, especially the sardonic fans. 

About the emotional attachment, part of me just doesn't understand it. I'm an aspiring writer and I watch and analyse the show in that way. I cannot really place myself into the mindset of someone who seems to feel the characters as real, even when they know they're not. 

For example some people who are obsessed with johnlock don't like Mary because she threatens their favorite ship, so they want her out, and put everything back to how it was in the beginning. Hereby they thus propose the most boring plotline one could possibly come up with. 

On the other thread there was a concern that the show wouldn't work so well since Sherlock and John no longer live together. WHAAAT??? I don't think this person understands how fiction works. Moftiss could write a whole series, 4.5 hrs, with just Sherlock and John in Baker Street fooling around, without it requiring John to live there. 

I really don't understand these people. 

January 20, 2014 8:30 am  #31

sj4iy wrote:

1. It was answered and suitably so to anyone not bent on conspiracy theories.

No, it wasn't.  In fact, they made a point of saying quite specifically at the end that Sherlock would never explain it.  See Fan Bashing and Fan Service, the Solution Substitutes

Moffat was left with no explanation that fans hadn't already deduced, perhaps in parts, but thoroughly, and found the flaws in.  His whole schtick about the fans "missing a clue" on the roof was tripe, and the only way out was to either admit he didn't fool anyone or refuse to give any explanation.  Then he made Reichenbach theorists out to be kooks and weirdos and mentally unstable so anyone who called him on it would be trashed by other fans.

Looks like it worked perfectly. 

January 20, 2014 12:31 pm  #32

The answer was basically: here's a plausible explanation, you can choose to accept it or not.

I'm fine with it, as I don't really care to obsess over an episode that's old news.  I'm perfectly fine either way.  It's certain they didn't come up with something else, so why worry about it?

January 20, 2014 1:02 pm  #33

It's easy to recognise the weirdos. They blame Moffat for things that Gatiss wrote.

Sorry, I ran out of patience with these things. 

January 20, 2014 1:05 pm  #34

MysteriaSleuthbedder wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

1. It was answered and suitably so to anyone not bent on conspiracy theories.

No, it wasn't.  In fact, they made a point of saying quite specifically at the end that Sherlock would never explain it.  See Fan Bashing and Fan Service, the Solution Substitutes

Moffat was left with no explanation that fans hadn't already deduced, perhaps in parts, but thoroughly, and found the flaws in.  His whole schtick about the fans "missing a clue" on the roof was tripe, and the only way out was to either admit he didn't fool anyone or refuse to give any explanation.  Then he made Reichenbach theorists out to be kooks and weirdos and mentally unstable so anyone who called him on it would be trashed by other fans.

Looks like it worked perfectly. 

The missing clue is that the whole story started with a plan of Sherlock and Mycroft (becoming famous, eliciting Moriarty out of his spider web). Not the other way around as TRF might look like at first. And this is explained in the thrid solution of TEH as well.

January 20, 2014 1:08 pm  #35

I've read the "review" and while I don't like the way it's written, many points have crossed my mind, too. There are of course parts where I will stand back and admit: it's just a show, and my expectations were (maybe too) high or it's just not my cup of tea. But there are also parts where I still honestly think: that wasn't necessary and could have been done better. And if many people point on the same scenes, then maybe these specific scenes didn't deliver as well as hoped for. I think such criticism should be allowed, and it doesn't necessary mean people are too obsessed with something. It just shouldn't be overrated, because in my opinion, there were also loads of brilliant scenes, which I for my part loved and adored. What I don't like about the review is that it focuses mainly on the negative experience, which doesn't do the series justice as a whole, imo. Also it annoys me that the writer of that review seems to think nobody put any effort into the series... which really isn't a fair thing to say, because we all know they did.

Last edited by Whisky (January 20, 2014 1:14 pm)

"It is what it is."

January 20, 2014 2:14 pm  #36

silverblaze wrote:

It's easy to recognise the weirdos. They blame Moffat for things that Gatiss wrote.

Sorry, I ran out of patience with these things. 

Didn't you know?  Moffat is responsible for everything, even when it happened in the show YEARS before he became a writer.  It's all his fault that Doctor Who had a 12-regeneration limit, you know.  It doesn't matter that it was written by another writer back in the 70's...it's still HIS fault.

...yes, I hate the Moffat-bashing, too.  It just gets silly after a while.

January 20, 2014 2:32 pm  #37

sj4iy wrote:

Moffat is responsible for everything, even when it happened in the show YEARS before he became a writer.  It's all his fault that Doctor Who had a 12-regeneration limit, you know.  It doesn't matter that it was written by another writer back in the 70's...it's still HIS fault.

LOL. Never mind that Moffat was the one who actually fixed that problem. They never seem to mention that.

January 20, 2014 7:48 pm  #38

sj4iy wrote:

The answer was basically: here's a plausible explanation, you can choose to accept it or not.

Not sure which of the mash-up of explanations they offerred you thought was plausible, but it was very clearly stated by John: "You're not going to tell me how you did it..."  They didn't.

January 20, 2014 7:56 pm  #39

silverblaze wrote:

Gatiss and Moffat split credit, but Gatiss didn't sit down in a room all by himself and come up with the Fall scenarios.  Or anything else.  Every time they speak of it, they say "we" when discussing plot decisions.  But it was Moffatt who gave the interviews about how the fans all "missed a clue" on the roof and how he had it all worked out before they started and how they already filmed part of the explanation.  The Fall was Moffat's baby. 

I think it's quite rude to refer to posters and people whose ideas differ from yours as "weirdos."  But then, that's what they wanted in The Empty Hearse, to characterize people as losers and misfits and madmen who saw through the BS.   They wanted excactly this: that if we objected to the no-explanation explanation, other fans would attack us. 

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (January 20, 2014 8:16 pm)

January 20, 2014 8:11 pm  #40

I think there is NO completely plausible explanation: they got themselves in an impossible situation, because they wanted to create a fantastic emotional moment. And they managed to do it. For me TRF has been and still is, probably the most intense piece of television I have ever seen. Had they gone for something more probable, they could have found their way out easier, but the emotional impact would have suffered, inevitabily. I am not a particular fan of TEH, but I can understand the reasons they did what they did. It has nothing to do with bashing or ridicule the fandom, IMO. More a message: it doesn't matter HOW, it matters WHY. Aren't they right? After all, the discussions (very heated discussions!) about the 3rd season are almost all about characters, their motivations, ethics, psychology etc. and not about the crimes and mysteries Sherlock solved.

Board footera