BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2012 11:30 pm  #1

Ideas for Quizzez

Please post ideas & conversations about the quizzes here.
This will keep the current quizzes easier to find and the older ones lower down the list.

All ideas from previous threads will be copied into this thread.

Thanks.

Tantalus wrote:

Maybe a quiz based on the canonical stories?

We should have a real live (well, in the forum, anyway) Whodunit mystery that we could work on during the "great hiatus" (i.e., until Season 3 airs). Maybe one of the members gets knocked off and we have clues to figure it all out. Anybody got any ideas?

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

We should have a real live (well, in the forum, anyway) Whodunit mystery that we could work on during the "great hiatus" (i.e., until Season 3 airs). Maybe one of the members gets knocked off and we have clues to figure it all out. Anybody got any ideas?

That's a cool idea. Hmmm. *adopts thinking pose*

sherlockskitty wrote:

davina--  I  hope you're not thinking what I think you're thinking!!  (This kitty is smart, I'll have you know!!)

Molly Hooper wrote:

I just had an idea, if it is awful then please ignore it!!
I thought that people should PM their answers to the 'Quiz-master' so other players cannot see them!
I ,of course, being far too honest (and modest!!) would not do this, but there is a temptation...   

Davina wrote:

I agree with this suggestion, probably because I PMd the idea a little while back. Though not to the Boss!? What do you think folks?

Irene_Adler wrote:

I like that idea, Davina, and very much

Molly Hooper wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

Maybe a quiz based on the canonical stories?

That sounds very fun, if a little scary! We shall have to find a willing participant...
*evil laugh*

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  like the idea  of PM'ing the answers to a quiz,  ONLY  if the players are allowed to answer EVERy question in it.   I  did PM  the boss,   and...welll,   this is what I got in reply----from SHERLOCK HOLMES  ADMIN--(Hope yu don't mind me posting this here. )

It's difficult really because then we would just have loads of PMs and no one would actually post on the thread. It's only supposed to be a bit of fun {CUT OUT due to long statement} .  I for one when I'm answering other people's quizzes, I look at the questions then hit Add Reply immediately, and post my answers without looking at other people's answers and I guess we are relying on other people to do the same.

I'll have a new quizhere  later  tomorrow  or the next day.  Yep, it's gonna be "something new"

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 2, 2012 11:47 pm  #2

Re: Ideas for Quizzez

I'm with Sherlock on this one.

Quizzes should be for fun as I said earlier in one of them. Do we need to be that competitive for  non-existent prize?

And if we do want competitiveness then we must have the questions & answers overseen by someone to ensure everything is correct. I'm not interested in competitiveness personally or I could have said more before now.

Take the opportunity with quizzes to broaden your knowledge of all things Holmes. We're seeing a lot of BBC Sherlock questions now, which are simply memory recall or re-watching. The poor old canon has been forgotten again.

Quizzes should be one per week to ensure everyone gets a chance to do them so again, if we want to get serious about these we may have to consider some guidelines on what's allowed etc. This will be crucial for forum harmony.
I'd also love to see a different person do one each week. I've done mine & have a spare up my sleeve whenever things get dull here, but I would very much like to see a variety of quizmasters so that we can see where others place their focus on this amazing show.
Also, they don't have to be in the same format. Why not try a picture one? How that would work could be in many ways. Odd snippets of a scene in a different angles, or place an extra object in a picture & ask what's wrong, etc etc. With that one though, please remember size needs to be considered. Not everyone has a fast loading computer/connection and I certainly don't want oversized pics blasting me on my screen. So perhaps if you need help with that kind of thing, you should pop over to the tech thread and ask for help there. A picture question could just be one of your questions also to save having things get too messy.
I have more ideas, will post later.

It is so common in the modern world that everything needs to be competitive; sometimes it's nice to try to relax more.
Your choice guys.

Last edited by kazza474 (June 3, 2012 1:26 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 3, 2012 8:55 am  #3

Yeah, more canon questions would be good...and maybe some questions based on other interpretations/adaptations of Sherlock Holmes.

As for the format, I really just want to avoid things getting too over complicated. The person running the quiz posts the questions and everyone answers them underneath or answers as many as they can.

Personally I don't even look to see who's won because i'm really not bothered, I just like to answer the questions to test myself. If someone wants to cheat by looking at other people's answers then that's their problem, the only person they're really cheating is themselves, seeing as we don't have any prizes or anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 3, 2012 9:22 am  #4

Great boss; send me the answers for Irene's I've been at a family gathering all day.

Joking Irene! I am halfway through (you know me, Ms Perfectionist etc, lol) I'll have them posted asap.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 3, 2012 9:27 am  #5

Oh BTW, maybe someone is good making up crosswords? There's something different.
I believe there are crossword making sites online.

And if you google "making quizzes" you will find heaps of ideas there.

So get your quizzes ready and when the time comes, nominate yourself to do the next week's quiz.
If we have heaps of people just popping them up randomly it will get messy, so my thoughts are one per week at this stage.

The big boss can decide on that... hehehe

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 3, 2012 8:17 pm  #6

kazza474 wrote:

I'm with Sherlock on this one.

Quizzes should be one per week to ensure everyone gets a chance to do them so again, if we want to get serious about these we may have to consider some guidelines on what's allowed etc. This will be crucial for forum harmony.

from SK---Yes,  but the problem with this,  in my opinion,  is that  there will be too   many  DATED  threads.   won't that clutter    up the boards? And,  the quiz  that was done,  would have to be LOCKED  after its use,  to make sure no one uses it again.   Or  deleted,  which  would be better.  On  this section,  for example,  there are 3  dated  quiz threads that were bumped by  kazza  on may 23rd.   Has anyone  used them yet?   No,  they have not.   so  why  are those quiz threads still there?  I  am  just making a point.   I'm  like a kitty with her favorite ball of yarn. However,  if  one person would open a thread  without the date in the title,  then I  would say that that thread belongs to the person who opened it,  and he/she can use it again and again.     

kazza474 wrote:

I'd also love to see a different person do one each week. I've done mine & have a spare up my sleeve whenever things get dull here, but I would very much like to see a variety of quizmasters so that we can see where others place their focus on this amazing show.

Also, they don't have to be in the same format. Why not try a picture one? How that would work could be in many ways. Odd snippets of a scene in a different angles, or place an extra object in a picture & ask what's wrong, etc etc. With that one though, please remember size needs to be considered. Not everyone has a fast loading computer/connection and I certainly don't want oversized pics blasting me on my screen. So perhaps if you need help with that kind of thing, you should pop over to the tech thread and ask for help there. A picture question could just be one of your questions also to save having things get too messy.
I have more ideas, will post later.

It is so common in the modern world that everything needs to be competitive; sometimes it's nice to try to relax more.
Your choice guys.

I've  done crossword puzzles,   I've  done image puzzles, (hidden objects)   wordsearch,  (those are my favorites)  and the site I use is puzzlemaker.com.  VERY  useful.   I  then  put it on photobucket and I size it there and Update  there too.   LOADS  of fun!!  and  yes  I  am familiar with size guidelines.  maybe my next quiz  will be a wordsearch one.   It wud be nice to get into that again.   

good ideas,  kazza.    thx  for reading this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 4, 2012 4:32 am  #7

Ok, the idea of bumping them up was that we had a huge influx of new members. No doubt they wanted to post their thoughts etc and look around to see what we get up to here. Bringing those up in the recent posts list, I was trying to draw people's attention to them. Until that time, we had no separate 'quizzes' area.
Now we have a new separate section with all the quizzes in them & so they will be easier to find for anyone wanting to try them.
Having them dated would indicate whether they were 'current' or not, as we were having winners announced at the end of each quiz week. Not much point posting answers to quizzes that have already had the final answers revealed, but nonetheless the questions are there for people to try for themselves, which I am sure some have done so.

Sure, if you would like to continue to use the thread to post in, then do so. But as the quiz is over why not make a new thread for further discussions, allowing the new quiz to be seen at the top?

There's certainly no need to delete any quizzes, we get new members all the time. And a lot of thought & research has gone into those quizzes. It also gives ideas for others & lots of tangents to run off on for 'researching interesting facts'.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 9:03 pm  #8

kazza davina and the boss--  I've made a wordsearch.   If  I win the latest round of quizzing,  I  was gonna plan on  using that as THE CURRENT  QUIZ. (and place it in my set up quizzing thread)    but now I'm  wondering,   we now have a picture image guessing game thread/topic,  so  shud I post my wordsearch as a  separate topic?   You see,  when I was doing a quiz on another fanboard,  I  used to include  ALL sorts  of  activities in that pone thread,   since it was my  thread and I was doing the hosting in it.    I  had  questions,  wordsearches, crosswords,  tile games,  and RULES.    what are your thoughts?

Anyone?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 16, 2012 4:33 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera