BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 8:28 pm  #41

Re: The "I love series 3" thread

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

There was a bit of character development for Mycroft, too. He warns Sherlock not to get involved and says he doesn't need friends (though Sherlock has a different opinion on that). But if you look closely you see Mycroft getting involved with Sherlock's friends more and more. It's not much yet, but he's becoming more human.

You are right. And to see (and hear) Mycroft interacting with his parents is fun.  And his "Oh, Sherlock. What have you done?" at the end was quite heartbreaking. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 8:32 pm  #42

I'm not team "Disappointed" either. Everything has actually been said and I agree with all of you.
Series 3 was a risk but I'm glad that Moffat and Gatiss were willing to take that risk. And since S2 was all about crime in my opinion, it was good for the show to take the characters on personal adventures this time. HLV is an unusual episode because it's not about a murder or something but deals with personal threat. And I'm glad that it exists. For god's sake, I'm thankful for any episode of the new series, I love them all. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 15, 2014 8:54 pm  #43

stoertebeker wrote:

(@silver: I am sure you don't meant it like that. Please don't see this as an accusation. I just had the feeling that it was a necessary thing to say. There was a love/hate-discussion at the Hobbit thread a couple of weeks ago which had made me sad a bit. By the way, I like your metaphor with the wine. I totally agree with that!)

No worries, I was using it a bit tongue in cheek, at least that was my intention, but with online communication with different nationalities and no visuals, it is easy to misunderstand each other. I'll stop using it if people don't feel confortable with it.

Thing is, I just don't take that kind of team building, flame war thing seriously. At all. And I tend to  assume most others don't do it either and that it's just a laugh and perhaps a bit of friendly competition. I know some people do take it seriously and genuiely get upset about it and frankly, I just don't understand them.

January 15, 2014 8:56 pm  #44

I love season three so much. Can't even say what I love most...
Wouldn't it be a tiny bit boring if they only went on solving cases (though I love the cases) and there were no development of the characters?

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 15, 2014 9:10 pm  #45

Criosdan wrote:

I love season three so much. Can't even say what I love most...
Wouldn't it be a tiny bit boring if they only went on solving cases (though I love the cases) and there were no development of the characters?

Completely agreed. I don't think the writers actually had that much choice than to move on. Imagine what it would have been like if they did the same thing as in series 2: another Irene, another Hound and another Moriarty, but then three different villains and the plots centered around them. And a big cliffhanger at the end. Wouldn't have worked as well as this. 

Moftiss are actually quite good at this. 

January 15, 2014 9:24 pm  #46

TeeJay wrote:

I also think that a lot of the criticism is what we call "high level whining" in Germany. All things considered, Sherlock is still quality television. But when you're constantly raising the bar as a series creator/writer, the viewers start to expect a constant or even increasing level of quality. When it falls short in one or more aspects or doesn't meet viewer expectation in terms of story resolution, the internet gives everyone who is even just slightly disgruntled the perfect outlet for their outcry. This may be what we're seeing here.

I'm so gonna steal that 'high level whining' phrase. What's the German word?

And I agree with the raising the bar, because of the way it's perceived, the writers are constantly challenged to improve. Imagine that, in an alternative universe, the first episode of the fourth season will be TBB. Same storyline, characters are a bit further, Sarah is Mary. People would be tremendously disappointed. But it worked fine in series one. And disappointment with TEH is not strange given the fact that they basically created the cliffhanger of the century in TRF and then pissed off for two years.

(I loved TEH, btw, and I'm totally fine with the fall solution.)

January 15, 2014 9:30 pm  #47

I just remembered something from my literature studies - the tragic hero as defined by Aristotle and Shakespeare. I think we see something of that in Sherlock even if there is a lot of comedy in the series. Which is not a contradiction as there is comedy in Hamlet, too. 

A tragic hero is defined by being moral but making a serious mistake of being flawed in a certain way which leads to his downfall. He is usually confronted with a more or less unsolvable problem/decision. The audience shall experience pity and fear when seeing/reading the story. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2014 7:27 am  #48

Hubby wants me to mention that according to acient Greeks (and probably Romans, too)  you should always show three dramas and then one comedy in your theatre. Motfiss sticks to that, too, and hubby is impressed with that.

I love how much I was surprised by each of the episodes. None of them was what I have expected, and that is a very rare experience on TV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2014 7:51 am  #49

Schmiezi wrote:

I love how much I was surprised by each of the episodes. None of them was what I have expected, and that is a very rare experience on TV.

Exactly! Most series are so predictable. You hardly get any interesting surprises.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2014 7:58 am  #50

Predictability brings up a whole other point I wanted to mention. Because I think the fact that many people were disappointed in series 3 also has a lot to do with expectations. Moffat and Gatiss created a doozie of a mystery in TRF, which basically kept fans guessing for two whole years.

Of course everyone had expectations when series 3 finally came around the corner. Everyone wanted to know if their theory had been the right one, if Mofftiss were going to pop the magic bunny out of the hat and do something that would surprise EVERYONE because no one on the internet had thought of that yet, or if the episode was going to be about something else altogether. And I think a lot of people also had very specific expectations as to what series 3 would be showing.

Expectations were VERY high, and naturally that can only lead to a number of people being disappointed.

I must say, personally, I didn't even have many expectations for series 3, other than hoping for more quality entertainment, more Sherlock and John goodness, a halfway reasonable solution for The Fall, and hopefully a Sherlock & John reunion that was emotionally charged and didn't disappoint. And I got all of that--and more. I am happy, but I can see how others might not be when they were expecting something else entirely.

January 16, 2014 8:12 am  #51

I saw that coming in a way. There had been such a hysteria over the fall theories. And correct me if I am wrong but Moftiss never said that there had been a big mystery, they never said IOU meant anything other than what it said or that Sherlock used some intricate device to survive. Recently Mark said that there are only so many ways how to survive such a fall. 
Moreover, the most important thing for me was to see how Sherlock returns, tries to fit back into his old life, copes with everything that has changed and interacts with the people close to him. Which they showed in every possible way. 

January 16, 2014 8:30 am  #52

I was lucky that my expections weren't that high. Because I actually joined the fandom only mid October, and also started racking my brains about everything concerning Sherlock then, I didn't had to pass much time.
Tried to stay neutral as possible and it worked fine. As I said before there were a few points that I'm still not certain of. But I'm far far away from being "disappointed" of anything.

Last edited by gently69 (January 16, 2014 10:31 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2014 10:00 am  #53

It's really interesting what a difference it can make when you know practically nothing about what's gonna happen to when you already know a few things about it. To me that explains why for me the experience of watching S3 was so different from what I experienced when I watched S1 and S2 - I knew absolutely nothing about the show then, so absolutely everything was surprising and thrilling. The more you know about it in advance, the more expectations you have - and it's only natural that you won't get exactly what you've expected. The thing then is: how do you deal with it?

I have decided (and I'm still working on that) to love the show just as much as I loved it before S3.
There were so many great moments. And just yesterday when I watched HLV again I constantly thought 'Oh Sherlock, oh John, what's happening to the two of you...?'. They way they look at each other again and again... that alone makes me love that episode. The scene in 221B with Mary is just... absolutely gripping. "Großes Kino", as we say in Germany.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 16, 2014 10:01 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2014 10:27 am  #54

Maybe I should add: I didn't even expect them to follow certain storylines, and I didn't have a theory about The Fall that I favoured, either. My expectations and hopes went more in the direction of emotions. I wanted them to blow me away, I wanted them to make me cry they way I cried at the end of TRF, I wanted them to make me feel totally desperate and lost. It didn't happen to the extent I had hoped for, but that's my problem, not theirs.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 16, 2014 10:33 am  #55

But how could they have made you feeling this way? What did you miss? Are you able to describe it?

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2014 11:05 am  #56

Well, I guess that's the thing about emotions, you can't really explain them. All I know is that at the end of TRF I sat on my sofa and cried like a baby. We're always talking about our shock blankets, and I'm telling you: that was as close as I ever got to being in shock because of a tv show. It started with the scene on the rooftop and went all the way through to the cemetery. And then, when I saw Sherlock I just went "OH MY GOOOOOOOOD...!!!!!". 
I guess the thing is that you just can't do something like this every single time, so I probably shouldn't have expected it. Yes, I was shocked when Sherlock shot CAM, the whole scene with CAM flicking John's face was so hard to watch and take, I felt so, so sorry for John. But for me it was still easier to take than the end of TRF.
Btw, what really, really got to me in S3 was the whole sequence with Mary, John and Sherlock, all the way from Sherlock's Mind Palace, The Empty Houses to the scene in 221B. Wow. Just wow.

January 16, 2014 11:28 am  #57

SolarSystem wrote:

Yes, I was shocked when Sherlock shot CAM, the whole scene with CAM flicking John's face was so hard to watch and take, I felt so, so sorry for John.

I can remember a short scream from 10 ladies at this time during our "get together", can't I?
Same when Sherlock was shot.

SolarSystem wrote:

Btw, what really, really got to me in S3 was the whole sequence with Mary, John and Sherlock, all the way from Sherlock's Mind Palace, The Empty Houses to the scene in 221B. Wow. Just wow.

Yes! THIS! Also my absolutely favourite. The mind palace just was brilliant.... and The Empty Houses... ending in Baker St. ... I always have a stone in my stomach and tears in my eyes when I watch it.

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2014 12:27 pm  #58

Expecting the same as TRF, high expectations indeed. It was the best cliffhanger I've ever seen. It wasn't even a cliffhanger, it was a cliff-falling-off-er. 

January 16, 2014 12:40 pm  #59

I didn't expect exactly the same. But I expected a somewhat similar impact, which doesn't even mean that it necessarily has to be an ending with a cliffhanger or a cliffhangerish ending.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 16, 2014 12:43 pm)

January 16, 2014 12:49 pm  #60

People are different. As we see here. What Mofiss wrote... did it for one side perfectly but didn't satisfy the other. I think what they wanted first... satisfy themselves.
They worked out for Sherlock what and how they wanted it to see. Though it is proven that they also used one and another fan suggestion... somehow.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera