BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2012 8:04 am  #1

Blade Runner

So, I think, very possibly my favourite film of all time is Blade Runner. Admittedly I do have quite a list of favourite films but this is one I keep coming back to . Anyone else a fan, for want of a better word?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 12, 2012 9:18 am  #2

Re: Blade Runner

Bladerunner is an all time great. I bought the dvd to give it to my sons. They liked it, too.
A more recent sci-fi movie I love, is Gattaca.

Last edited by sherlocked (March 12, 2012 9:20 am)

March 12, 2012 5:33 pm  #3

I've not seen that. Is it available on DVD? if so I will get it and watch it. Have you seen the director's cut of Blade Runner? Rutger Hauer is brilliant in it don't you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 12, 2012 6:18 pm  #4

Yes, I got the director's cut. My sons are film buffs, they go for the best stuff. Rutger Hauer is great. I thought, it's a pity, that Sean Young's career never took properly off.
Gattaca has been available on dvd for quite a few years now.

March 12, 2012 9:21 pm  #5

Will get it, on Amazon most likely. Yes Sean Young's career just petered out really. Daryl Hannah did quite well though. Love the gymnastic fighting scene!

'Like tears in the rain'.

June 13, 2012 10:17 pm  #6

You've got a good taste, Davina. Blade Runner is my favorite sci-fi movie among John Carpenter's "The Thing", "The Empire Strikes Back", "Alien". I love the synth soundtrack by Vangelis, the dark, rainy setpieces, the cinematography, the bigger themes it tackles upon and the ambiguity of the movie. I've seen Blade Runner many times and with each viewing I find some new detail I hadn't noticed before. I think the performances are great, and unlike many critics say, I don't think the characters are thinly written. For instance Roy Batty is one of the most interesting and mystical bad guys in the history of film, in my opinion. He's a killer, yet you feel for him throughout the movie. He's like an evil philosopher, sort of what Sherlock Holmes would be if he was an replicant and had turned to the dark side. The final scene on the roof is hauntingly beautiful and ambiguous. Like many I believe, I prefer the final cut version of this movie. The happy ending where they drive into the sunset and the whole voice-over thing, I don't like one bit. I can't believe this movie is already almost as old as I am. A true masterpiece. In science fiction and any genre in general.

I wrote a couple of songs in the ambient/electro genre a few years ago that I later realised sounded A LOT like Vangelis' music in Blade Runner. If someone's interested, I can send them a link to a song or two.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 13, 2012 10:18 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 14, 2012 6:06 am  #7

You can post the link here and I'll have a listen.

I agree that they Final Cut ending is superior to the Nth degree. The whole atmosphere of the piece is wonderful. Also agree that the characters are not thinly written, just that the viewer has to actually put some work in; the same with the plot too. In some ways Roy is a little like Benedict's character in Third Star, who is dying from cancer- he wants more life. The roof scene always makes me cry. Another scene on a roof with a death. The rain, dove and the monologue from Rutger Hauer are, for me, nigh on perfect.

June 14, 2012 2:15 pm  #8

Rachel's theme is a favourite of mine.

As for which version is better...I don't know...I like the narration element of the original for a whole bunch of reasons and I enjoy the alterations and additions to the director's cut.

If I could blend them together I think I'd be happiest.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 14, 2012 2:29 pm  #9

I think the reason why the voice-over doesn't work for me is how underlining it is. I mean when Deckard finds the snake scale the voice-over tells the viewer what he's thinking and what the camera already shows us in close-up. The reason the studio demanded on having the VO is because in screenings people said they didn't know what's going on. But I think it's too much and makes me feel like I was stupid to have that extra explaining, which I don't need. "Show, don't tell" is what often is said about movies, and I think either way is fine depending on the situation but both aren't needed.

One scene where I think it really breaks the mood and tension is the final roof scene. I mean here is Hauer, saying this great piece of dialogue with a dove in his hand, about to die, soaking wet in the rain. It's a beautiful moment when he dies and you see that surprised look on Ford's face. But before you get to really feel that scene, the VO blasts off saying what Deckard is thinking. Totally ruins the mood for me. I think the movie is already a perfect and unique mix of sci-fi and film noir, you don't really need the voice-over to underline it to the viewer.

Not undermining your opinion here by any means, m0r1arty. Just saying why it doesn't work personally for me.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 14, 2012 2:30 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 14, 2012 2:39 pm  #10

No I welcome differing opinions and certainly think you are right about the final scene on the rooftop.

Had I been Ridley Scott I would have purposefully left the rooftop, and every scene thereafter, without narration as to allow fully underline the whole point of the story to the audience.

To me the film noir elements, the time when Philip K Dick wrote the piece from which the screenplay was inspired and Harrison Ford's voice all add to the richness of it.

Warren Ellis has recently helped edit a comic book adaptation of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' if you can grab it, do!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 14, 2012 3:15 pm  #11

Thanks for the recommendation, sir. The Philip K.Dick novel just arrived in the mail a week ago and haven't yet had time to get into it. After I've read that one, I'll try to remember the comics you mentioned. I have a couple of Ellis' METROPOLITAN comics and I really like them.

June 14, 2012 8:33 pm  #12

A present. Though with it now pouring with rain again outside this won't be cheering me up. It is, however, brilliant. See the Dutch can produce more than tulips, clogs, windmills and 'cafes'. This is an example of 'Dutch Courage' maybe?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOphFl88U-g

June 14, 2012 8:47 pm  #13

That reminds me, here's that Blade Runnerish song of mine I mentioned earlier that I recorded some years back. It was just an experiment as I hadn't done midi music before.

http://soundcloud.com/aae-finland/ledus

June 14, 2012 8:54 pm  #14

For some reason this is only coming up with the Soundcloud introductory page and not your track.

June 14, 2012 8:55 pm  #15

Really? When I click the link it goes straight to the track. That's weird.

June 15, 2012 5:40 am  #16

It's probably this stupid I-pad! I'll try on. 'proper' pc later.

Board footera