BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2014 9:26 pm  #21

Re: The best man speech - full text

How do you view it?...

January 9, 2014 9:55 pm  #22

mujie wrote:

How do you view it?...

Was that to me? I don't understand the question. My point was that storytime was actually shorter than storyteller's time and thusly, the speech is not as long as it seems. 

January 9, 2014 10:09 pm  #23

Sorry. Not you. I mean, the text in the post. The best man speech. I can't seem to view it...

January 9, 2014 10:14 pm  #24

Sorry, there must be something wrong. I cannot access it either although I was logged into AO3. Maybe it was taken down for some reason. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2014 10:15 pm  #25

Arrrgh, I read it, but I also wanted to put it onto my kindle. I didn't. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 10, 2014 12:43 am  #26

Yeah...if anyone finds a new link, please post it.

Most best man's speeches are mainly about the friendship between best man & groom, yes. Sometimes the best man might not know the bride all that well anyway, so wouldn't know enough to talk about her, and occasionally the Father of the Bride will do a speech which is more about the bride.

I didn't have a problem with the "ridiculous" bit. It was said in a light hearted way and shouldn't actually be taken literally. There's definitely different ways to use the word ridiculous.

Example One: Dismissing a theory
"That's ridiculous. No way that could have happened."
Tone: Dismissive, critical

Example Two: Friendly banter
"You're ridiculous, mate!"
Tone: Light hearted, jovial.

Sherlock's use of it was closer to Example Two than Example One, is what I'm trying to say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 10, 2014 2:17 am  #27

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

There's definitely different ways to use the word ridiculous.

Example Two: Friendly banter
"You're ridiculous, mate!"
Tone: Light hearted, jovial.

Interesting.  Maybe other Americans have heard or used the word in this way but it's new to me.  I've only seen/read it being used in a dismissive manner.  Another example of two nations separated by a common language. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 10, 2014 2:34 am  #28

"a ridiculous man"? who said that? I'll cut them where they stand.
HUH? what? Sherlock said that?.... um well... never mind.

(to the tune of.. "do indeed shut up Mrs. Hudson")
He is in fact, a ridiculous man.

January 29, 2014 7:35 am  #29

Was trying to find it again myself… annoyingly only bits and pieces of, that people have put up.  And then finally remembered one of my favorite sites for such tv quotes… Wikiquotes, of course.    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sherlock
Awesome site for that kind of thing, and someone put up all the relevant parts of the speech.    Might want to copy favorite part in case they decide to 'trim down', though.  It's not always heavily enforced, but in being considerate of copyright, they try to keep the number of quotes (or the really really long ones) down.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 29, 2014 8:21 am  #30

If you are looking for scripts, Ariane Devere is my first choice. She does them brilliantly. All episodes.

http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/65379.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 30, 2014 5:43 am  #31

gently69 wrote:

If you are looking for scripts, Ariane Devere is my first choice. She does them brilliantly. All episodes.

http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/65379.html

Definitely!  She's great… I just posted the wikiquotes thing up there, because someone thankfully put up just the parts of the favorite speech we were discussing, without too much of the other flashbacks.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 31, 2014 2:02 am  #32

I think the biggest problem with the best man speech was how freaking LONG it was. But I actually though that most of the seemingly-rather-inappropriate comments were self-deprecating in a cute way and a way that ultimately showed how much he loved John.

Board footera