BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2014 3:25 pm  #1

The best man speech - full text

In case anyone wants to quote or interpret or use this:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1122886

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 7, 2014 3:38 pm  #2

Re: The best man speech - full text

This is not my own post on AO3. I just thought it might be useful when you are not sure about some words. It would have been nice to insert breaks indicating the inserted flashbacks. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 7, 2014 3:46 pm  #3

What do you mean by "use this", Susi? In case I wanna use this speech if I have to give a speech at a wedding...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2014 4:26 pm  #4

No, I just thought sometimes you want to quote something and are not sure about the exact wording. And this speech is quite central to the episode. 
I do not think that we shall ever become someone's best men.  And if we do, we have a nice example of how first to offend the guests and then move them to tears within minutes. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 7, 2014 4:26 pm)

January 7, 2014 4:36 pm  #5

ooooh, thank you for posting Susi!!!

I want to copy this into my journal.  So beautiful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 7, 2014 4:40 pm  #6

SusiGo wrote:

No, I just thought sometimes you want to quote something and are not sure about the exact wording. And this speech is quite central to the episode. 

Yes, I know. I was just joking. I tought I'd make a joke... as long as we're still in the mood for jokes.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 7, 2014 4:45 pm  #7

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 7, 2014 4:47 pm  #8

At a wedding of someone you hate. 

January 7, 2014 6:33 pm  #9

Shame they missed the bridge between the moving part and the funny stories.

'Whats wrong? Whats happened? Why are you all doing that? John?'

A perfect illustration of the truth of Sherlocks previous remarks about the importance of John to Sherlock. When Sherlocks at a loss he turns immediately to John for guidance.

'

January 7, 2014 7:32 pm  #10

Thank you so much! In case I'm asked to give a speech at a wedding for some reason... I'm prepared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 8, 2014 10:51 pm  #11

Let's talk about the part where Sherlock starts insulting himself. I've never seen so many insults in one only phrase and, come on, no true reason to do so. I don't consider a man who does justice and helps the police to arrest murderes a ridiculous one, he does a lot of good to compesate for his flaws. IMO, the part of the speech where he says he's rude is acceptable, the part where he says he never expected to be somebody's best friend is understandable, but when he says he's a ridiculous man and he puts it all together seems too dramatic and exagerated to sound true to me. I just don't see Sherlock Holmes doing this, because he has no reason to (actually, I don't see anybody doing this).
Well, I'd be really touched if he simply said he never expected to be someone's best friend, John is the kindest and bla bla, after all, the speech was supposed to be about John, not him.
P.S.: "idiot and obnoxious ass"?? I've met people who deserve these words more than him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

January 8, 2014 11:12 pm  #12

At the moment the link seems to work for members of AO3 only?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2014 11:20 pm  #13

Well, at the moment I can't even access the page even though I'm logged in...

January 9, 2014 2:06 am  #14

I agree with Caroll.  The part where Sherlock says he's a ridiculous man bothers me, too.  I don't see why he would say that because up to now, I've never seen him do anything to warrant that description.  It's really hard for me to picture Sherlock thinking of himself as ridiculous. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 9, 2014 7:29 am  #15

Sorry, the link does not work for me either although I am logged in. 

January 9, 2014 11:09 am  #16

I know this is slightly off topic (but just slightly), but could somebody please enligten me: is it common for the speech of the best man to mainly circle around the groom and his relationship to the best man? Because come on, Sherlock is not really talking about Mary and John, he is mainly talking about Sherlock and John. About their cases, about their stag night, about their love for each other/their friendship... Mary is just a side note, sort of.

January 9, 2014 11:58 am  #17

Ahem, I think this is a very Sherlockian variety of Best Man Speech. Basically it is a declaration of love (you are free to choose which sort of love) to John.
I am trying to remember what our best man said … well, he did mention me a bit more often than Sherlock did Mary. 

January 9, 2014 1:02 pm  #18

Well, Sherlock is not as close to Mary as he is to John, I don't think he had a choice ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

January 9, 2014 1:27 pm  #19

Most of the best man speeches I have heard did focus on his relationship and the general personality of the groom.  With a bit of the bride and their relationship tossed in toward the end.

I have no problem believing that Sherlock can consider himself "ridiculous."  Especially when comparing himself to John, a man whom he admires above all others.  Behind Sherlock's arrogance and bravado lies a great deal of insecurity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2014 1:40 pm  #20

Actually, if you take out the flashbacks, the speech isn't so weird at all, I think. The anecdotes would have been a lot shorter than the flashbacks, and he does mention Mary a few times. All went well until he dropped his champagne glass. 

Board footera