BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2013 11:47 am  #1

Which "offscreen" characters would you like to see made flesh?

I would love to see Harry Watson, John's sister, especially as I think there is general agreement that she is Catherine Tate. That would basically be awesome, serious comic relief. Clara too, though I don't have such a strong idea of what she's like. 

I'd also really like a bit more depth to Mycroft and so I'd love to see his significant other-who I assume is male (if for no better reason than that he wears a wedding ring and its on his right hand). Clearly has has, or has had, someone in his life (I do seem to remember that a right hand ring can also mean you are a widower). It would be interesting anyway because the implication here is that there are two people in the world he cares about-not just Sherlock but the person he wears a ring for. But then there are those Christmas Eve scenes when he is completely alone in Holmes Manor. Its an unexplained complexity and it would be interesting to see how he relates to whoever else there is in his life who is important to him. 

If the ring was on the left hand I'd assume a marraige of convenience to a woman and that would be the end of it, with no real comment either way on his actual sexuality because my god he would be able to pull that off. But no, presumably he's married to a man which to me, even in the uber-tolerant Sherlock universe, does suggest he's put himself on the line, albeit perhaps slightly, to declare that he loves someone. So this person is probably pretty interesting. (and we know that his whole "caring is not an advantage" speech is spiel anyway-he following it up with giving Sherlock a low tar cigarette.")

Last edited by beekeeper (March 29, 2013 11:58 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

March 30, 2013 8:22 pm  #2

Re: Which "offscreen" characters would you like to see made flesh?

Ha yeah, I'd love to see more of Mycroft's background. We all know the Holmes brothers care a lot more than they like to let people know about.

More of Mrs Hudson's love life, and Greg's.

And speaking of Lestrade, how about a couple of other Inspectors from the canon. Holmes didn't just work with one, although Lestrade is obviously the most famous.

OK, getting off topic here sorry....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 30, 2013 8:38 pm  #3

Got the ring thing wrong, I think-its a secret service thing, it seems. But anyway, I'd love to see more of the background. My money is on them being the children of travelling stage performers right now ;-).

Other inspectors, yes that would be great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

June 22, 2013 12:28 am  #4

I too would like to see John's sister Harriet It was mentioned that John was starting to get along better with her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

November 22, 2013 8:54 pm  #5

Definitaly Harry. And Clara too.

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

November 23, 2013 5:23 am  #6

Harry Watson would also be my first choice.

However Mummy Holmes is a close second.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 23, 2013 6:57 am  #7

I'll thorugh my hat in and say I'd love to see some of the other (detective) inspectors too -- although I do love Lestrade (and Rupert Graves)! I think the one I want to see the most is Gregson especially if Lestrade can be around and they follow canon because Lestrade and Gregson do not get along

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 23, 2013 6:43 pm  #8

Anderson's wife, definitely! .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 23, 2013 7:22 pm  #9

Lestrade's wife!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 31, 2013 3:01 pm  #10

The people from the blog. Especially the comic book nerds. 

December 31, 2013 5:40 pm  #11

They were in the series, briefly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

December 31, 2013 10:41 pm  #12

I would live to see mommy and daddy Holmes *wink wink*

January 2, 2014 9:42 am  #13

Me too, oh AND Harry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2014 10:51 pm  #14

Mrs. Watson wrote:

I would live to see mommy and daddy Holmes *wink wink*

Some wishes come true. 

Board footera