BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2013 11:39 pm  #21

Re: SPOILER! S3 Soundtrack Sample

SolarSystem wrote:

I have to admit, for me it would only be as bad as TRF (or worse) if either Sherlock or John died. Someone like Lestrade, Mycroft or Molly would be a sad thing, too, but it definitely wouldn't have as bad an impact on me as TRF did. And I can't imagine that they will kill off Sherlock or John - and seriously, if they want us to believe that one of them is dead when in truth he really isn't, they'll have to come up with something quite good... I don't want an ending that smells like TRF. 

Same here. They cannot kill off either John or Sherlock, because that would be the end of it and they *want* to do a new series. I would be saddest it it was Mycroft of the remaining four. If it's Mary, that probably will be sad, but as I don't "know" her yet.... *shrug*

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 27, 2013 4:07 am  #22

*stocking up on prozac*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 27, 2013 5:07 am  #23

kete wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

I have to admit, for me it would only be as bad as TRF (or worse) if either Sherlock or John died. Someone like Lestrade, Mycroft or Molly would be a sad thing, too, but it definitely wouldn't have as bad an impact on me as TRF did. And I can't imagine that they will kill off Sherlock or John - and seriously, if they want us to believe that one of them is dead when in truth he really isn't, they'll have to come up with something quite good... I don't want an ending that smells like TRF. 

Same here. They cannot kill off either John or Sherlock, because that would be the end of it and they *want* to do a new series. I would be saddest it it was Mycroft of the remaining four. If it's Mary, that probably will be sad, but as I don't "know" her yet.... *shrug*

I just watched Moffat write a death scene for a disembodied robot head in Doctor Who for a character we knew all of 30 minutes, and I was crying.  I know that he would make the death of John's wife absolutely tragic, no matter how long we knew her.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 27, 2013 11:04 am  #24

sj4iy wrote:

I just watched Moffat write a death scene for a disembodied robot head in Doctor Who for a character we knew all of 30 minutes, and I was crying. I know that he would make the death of John's wife absolutely tragic, no matter how long we knew her.

Where? Want to see!  Moffat is such an amazing writer.

But whoever they're gonna kill, let it please not be Mycroft!! It would be an obvious choice if you weren't constrained by the canon, clever and powerful characters tend to have short lifespans but in the canon, Mary dies and Mycroft doesn't. (Maybe that's just wishful thinking.)

Maybe the tracks we're hearing here are only the new ones and in the episodes we're also going to hear the old playful ones too. Can't imagine an episode without the Sherlock theme. 

December 27, 2013 12:55 pm  #25

silverblaze wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

I just watched Moffat write a death scene for a disembodied robot head in Doctor Who for a character we knew all of 30 minutes, and I was crying. I know that he would make the death of John's wife absolutely tragic, no matter how long we knew her.

Where? Want to see!  Moffat is such an amazing writer.

But whoever they're gonna kill, let it please not be Mycroft!! It would be an obvious choice if you weren't constrained by the canon, clever and powerful characters tend to have short lifespans but in the canon, Mary dies and Mycroft doesn't. (Maybe that's just wishful thinking.)

Maybe the tracks we're hearing here are only the new ones and in the episodes we're also going to hear the old playful ones too. Can't imagine an episode without the Sherlock theme. 

The Cyberman head called Handles in 'The Time of the Doctor".

I'm sure we'll get some of the old tracks, too, but I have to admit, I love the new soundtrack quite a lot.  It's riskier, I think, to change the tone so dramatically, but I can't wait to see and hear it.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

December 27, 2013 4:55 pm  #26

For some reason I love TsoT Part 3. Makes me giggle. But that seems to be the only "happy" one. Most of the tracks sound really cool though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 27, 2013 6:10 pm  #27

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Most of the tracks sound really cool though.

I agree! I don't like the first two tracks all that much, but apart from that... it sounds fantastic. It's something new, but at the same time you can also recognize the music we already know and love.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 27, 2013 8:47 pm  #28

I really like the entire soundtrack.  It's riskier than what they've done in the past, and very interesting.  There's a lot of variation on the themes and playing with minor and major chords back and forth.  Not very predictable, but done in very interesting ways.  I LOVE Magnussen's theme in HLV.  Very sinister and dark- nothing like Moriarty's music.  Can't wait until I get to see and hear the rest.

December 28, 2013 8:08 am  #29

SolarSystem wrote:

I agree! I don't like the first two tracks all that much, but apart from that... it sounds fantastic. It's something new, but at the same time you can also recognize the music we already know and love.

I agree. Some don't sound like Sherlock at all, but when you listen a second time... And there is no "old stuff", everything is new and fascinating.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 28, 2013 9:54 am  #30

Mattlocked wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

I agree. Some don't sound like Sherlock at all, but when you listen a second time... And there is no "old stuff", everything is new and fascinating.

Exactly.
And so far it never happened to me that I like every single track on a soundtrack, it just doesn't happen. Some soundtracks come pretty close to being absolutely perfect (for me), but really, there are always at least one or two tracks I could do without. So, it really doesn't matter that I do have my difficulties with the first two tracks here...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 28, 2013 10:15 am  #31

Right. And you never know.... maybe if you see the pictures to the sound you start liking it anyway.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 28, 2013 10:45 am  #32

That's true.

December 28, 2013 11:05 am  #33

True, within the context of the story, the music can sometimes suggest something entirely different from when you hear it separately. 

December 28, 2013 12:31 pm  #34

I usually don't care for soundtracks at all, but I've listened to this one over ten times already and I'm not the least bit bored of it yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 28, 2013 2:53 pm  #35

I love it! It scares me yet I'm intrigued with what happens because of how powerful the piece is. It sounds like someone discovering a dead body of someone they know and love, holding the body as they flash back to everything they had been through, and as the music seems to intensify, the horrified mixed with anguish expression changed to a burning need for vengeance.

Of course, that is what it sounds like to me. I can't wait to see where this plays at and who it pertains to. I see a lot of people guessing and my opinion is quite different. I don't think it would be John that would be broken, but Sherlock.  John was broken at the end of Series 2. Someone else turn now! 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (December 28, 2013 2:54 pm)

December 28, 2013 3:52 pm  #36

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

Of course, that is what it sounds like to me. I can't wait to see where this plays at and who it pertains to. I see a lot of people guessing and my opinion is quite different. I don't think it would be John that would be broken, but Sherlock.  John was broken at the end of Series 2. Someone else turn now! 

That's also what I'm thinking, but then again... this line of thinking might be too logical, and so we might see a broken John yet again... 

December 28, 2013 4:46 pm  #37

So, I'm going to try to peg the tracks for The Empty Hearse and see how well I do before watching it XD  I may be COMPLETELY off, but it's fun to try, anyway  SPOILERS ahead.

TEH 1: Some sort of big opening action sequence concering Sherlock.  I have a feeling there's a fall, big drop or something goes in slow motion.

TEH 2: Mycroft going to get Sherlock- very Russian quality to this track.

TEH 3: Coming back to London/John and Mary visiting the grave

TEH 4: Sherlock 'comes back' to certain people.

TEH 5: Daffodil scene with John and Mary

TEH 6: I just have a feeling this has to do with the trains and London underground

TEH 7: Motorbike scene intercut with John dying in the bonfire

TEH 8: Explanation of how Sherlock survived, because it's the same track as TRF, except elongated (giving more time for explanation of what Sherlock was doing).

I don't know enough about the next two episodes to make great guesses, but here are a few that caught my ear:

TSoT 3: Barhopping

TSoT 6: Sherlock playing violin at the wedding

HLV 1: Magnussen's theme

HLV 4: Sherlock injured?

HLV 8: Mary's death

Keep in mind, these are complete guesses, and I don't really know.  But I had to guess now before it airs in a few days.

December 29, 2013 6:14 pm  #38

Barhopping in Sign of Three...oh yes please! XD

My guess is that it's Sherlock, John, Greg and possibly Mike Stamford  

Last edited by kittykat (December 29, 2013 6:23 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 29, 2013 7:00 pm  #39

Oh, it would be nice to see Stamford again!

January 1, 2014 2:42 pm  #40

OMG! The amazon sundtrack preview is even better and seems to be slightly different from the iTunes one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Series-Original-Television-Soundtrack/dp/B00HL367FQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=sherlock+series+3

Board footera