BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2013 9:28 pm  #1

Ok then, so "the clue everyone's missed." Your best guess.

Lets see if any of us have found it. I'm guessing by tommorrow the internet will be crawling with spoliers so this is the last chance.

Post your best guess.

Here's mine.

The hand that pulls John's away from Sherlock after the fall is wearing a ring on the right hand, the same as Mycroft and as Anthea. I think this indicates that she, and by extension all the people surrounding Sherlock, are working with Mycroft.

Next?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

December 16, 2013 2:34 am  #2

Re: Ok then, so "the clue everyone's missed." Your best guess.

I wrote a letter with a whole list of things that may or may not be THAT clue.

Will re-read after the first viewing (and probably laugh my head off)!

December 16, 2013 2:37 am  #3

Surely with all the theories that have circulated, someone must have guessed it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 24, 2013 1:24 pm  #4

I like the ring thing. I always thought they were just wedding rings, because in my country, they do wear them on their right hand. The doctor that is feeling Sherlock's pulse also wears one. And besides, the way they throw him onto the stretcher suggests that they are pretty certain he isn't hurt. Or Moftiss didn't do their research on medical procedures. It's just so easy to see all kinds of meaning into things that are just mistakes in the production.

I actually believe that the 'clue everyone missed' is a red herring. They haven't read all the theories so how can they know what people missed? IOU is a red herring too, I think, just a nice motif like the angel en Grimm references. 

But there are things in the episode that are never really resolved. Why did the young girls scream? Nobody ever answered that question.
And Moriarties suicide is totally boss but it doesn't really make sense. Sherlock wasn't saying anything he hadn't said before so why would that tip him over the edge? (It does have another angel reference with the backlight, which is cool.)

There's a continuity error with the fall and the landing too, (he lands at a 90 degree angle compared to how he falls) could be just that, but since we know there must have been some kind of interruption, it could also have been the clue. 

Anyway, this is a real long way of saying that I have absolutely no idea. Looking forward to ep 1. 

January 10, 2014 4:02 pm  #5

My pet theory is that it follows the ACD canon when asked how he survived the fall, to be able to come out of the chasm, Holmes replied that he was never in it.

However as has been pointed out it'd take a team of QI elfs to have seen every theory on the net and be able to say there was a clue everyone missed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

January 12, 2014 1:54 am  #6

I'm pretty sure the clue was right in front of us during TRF.  John went to Mycroft's office at dawn on the day of the suicide hoax and criticised him for giving info about Sherlock to Moriarty.  But I've been certain for months that Mycroft was the organizer of the suicide hoax, and the thing which Sherlock did that was "out of character" was asking Mycroft for help in executing the planned hoax.

I think Sherlock first realized he needed to fake his suicide just 12 hours before he actually jumped -- when he was in the street outside Kitty's house late at night, walking back and forth and talking rapidly.  He said, " . . . there's only one thing he needs to complete his plan, and that's to -- "

He stops and then says to John, "There's something I have to do."

I think Sherlock came up with the initial plan right there -- not days or weeks in advance.  And immediately after that, he spoke with Molly and then called Mycroft to start the process of organizing the suicide hoax. 

So, the clue which everybody missed was the fact that Holmes was willing to ask for help in executing  his planned suicide. His extreme change in attitude made the plan possible, with the help of Mycroft, Molly, and all the people they employed to conduct the operation.

I know I'm not the only one to present this idea, but there are many people who seem to be looking for tiny details they can turn into dramatic revelations, and I don't think these theories are the answer to the quesiton.

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

November 21, 2020 8:47 pm  #7

I'm pretty sure your post went in the wrong place...

Clueing for looks.

Board footera