BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2012 9:04 am  #21

Re: Doctor Who

My favourite is Tenth with Donna. My God, I laugh sooooooo hard everytime they are both on my screen... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 14, 2012 6:03 am  #22

I loved Ten and Donna, I cried when she left . Eleven had to grow on me. I eventually did accept him, but not my favorite...

May 19, 2012 8:54 am  #23

I've been told that I HAVE to watch Doctor Who,

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m044m4OZf91rqbr7lo1_r1_500.png

And when I was younger I used to watch SJA.

But here's my dilemma, if I watch them do I have to watch it right from the beginnning with Richard Hurndall where everything is black and white? I just don't know if I'll have the strength to sit through all 200 episodes!
If I can start half way through where will cause the least damage?

Please help,
Molly   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 19, 2012 9:58 am  #24

Hi Molly...it's probably easiest if you start from the beginning of the new series. That still leaves you with TONS of episodes to watch but most people when they're talking about Doctor Who these days are only talking about the episodes from the last 5 years or however long it's been.

So yeah, go back to the first series with Christopher Eccleston...that's what I'm doing at the moment actually!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 19, 2012 10:05 am  #25

I had the same reaction as you had, Molly, when I decided to start watching Doctor Who. It was like... WTF?? 30 years?? I knew it would be a bit too much, so I started with the new series, with Eccleston. As our boss said, I think it's the best. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot, though I think the best of Doctor Who is Tennant's era (from series 2 to series 4).

I want to watch some of the classic episodes, but I'm bit short of time by now, some maybe someday...

Tell us how you're doing 

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 19, 2012 11:09 am  #26

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Hi Molly...it's probably easiest if you start from the beginning of the new series. That still leaves you with TONS of episodes to watch but most people when they're talking about Doctor Who these days are only talking about the episodes from the last 5 years or however long it's been.

So yeah, go back to the first series with Christopher Eccleston...that's what I'm doing at the moment actually!

5 years of episodes *gulp*, easy peasy.

I have watched 1 episode before (the one with David tennant and the pigs) but I was only 7 so I didn't watch all of it!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

May 22, 2012 6:26 am  #27

yeah  that's where I started,  in 2005  when they brought dr who back with christopher  and Billie  (Rose)   I  don't think I'll be watching anything from the 60's...this new series has done a good job of telling us  what came before,  and  why  did this happen,  or that happened....  The only  thing  I  would REALLY  like to see is,  when did the time war actually start,  and how did the  doctor stop it,  really?  Maybe THAT can be the idea for the 50th anniversary,  which  is next year!!!   

right now there is 6  years of new dr who  eps.   I've seen  most of them.   thankeee,  Netflix!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 28, 2012 5:00 pm  #28

I'm a huge Ten fan, but I also really like Nine. I also really like Martha even though most fans I've ever met say they hate her.

I used to love Rose but I HATED her when she came back, she acted like a spoilt brat!

May 29, 2012 4:06 pm  #29

I love Tennant as the doctor

Last edited by Jim Moriarty (May 29, 2012 4:06 pm)

puzzle: 10 B

May 29, 2012 7:38 pm  #30

Yes, Tennant WAS the Doctor.

Though I'm liking Matt Smith a lot too, but... it's always Tennant

May 31, 2012 3:00 pm  #31

David Tennant's work as The Doctor was just brilliant. That is all I have to say.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 5, 2012 5:48 am  #32

you and everybody's army says Tennant's dr was the best. 

So--  who went to the convention  back in March?   And did anyone else  here (besides me)  see Matt Smith running along Cardiff Bay,  with the olympic torch,,  on May 12th?   Oh,  he was marvelous!!  and handsome of course.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 10, 2012 11:58 am  #33

I think Tennant was the best Doctor, but I'm starting to really like Matt Smith. At first, I thought I could never get over Tennant's era, but now I really love Eleven. I don't find him specially handsome, but he is terribly cute

June 10, 2012 12:01 pm  #34

Who's 11?

June 10, 2012 1:34 pm  #35

11 is the Eleventh incarnation of the Doctor, so it's the one Matt Smith is playing.
The Doctor can regenerate and everytime he does so it means there is a new actor to play him!

Ohh, Doctor who. I'm a massive whovian! (But only the new era.)
I love Christopher, I love David and I love Matt as The Doctor but I have to say that David will always be my Doctor and miss him and the way Who used to be when he was around a hell lot :/.

I'm really looking forward to the next season, but really... the finale of the 6th? I just wanna delete that out of my brain!

June 10, 2012 1:36 pm  #36

Why? What happened??

June 10, 2012 1:52 pm  #37

Oh, Molly... even if we tried to explain it I think you wouldn't understand a word of it... it's a terrible headache.

Sammy, in fact all the sixth series is a bit of a headache, don't you think? I still don't get half of River Song's timeline... there are holes or is it I am an idiot and don't get it? Series six is a bit of a mess, in my opinion

June 10, 2012 8:13 pm  #38

Well, to say it in River's words: "Spoilers!"
No, really, it's quite complicated... but it was a weird situation that was resolved weirdly and also there is a "29-year-old-kisses-49-year-old" situation that just made me go "eww". (sorry!)

Hm, yes it's true. I'm still wondering about that! I loved the 5th series and the kind of "individual" episodes of series 6 that are not so much connected to the whole arc like "Night Terrors" or "The God Complex" or the 2-part thing with the scary clones are pretty amazing.
But it really is a bit of a mess. It started when they revealed River's identity (I was like: "Really? REALLY?", although I expected it) and it just got worse..
I have to say a bit time has passed since I saw the last season (obviously) so my memory on it might not be that fresh.
But, like, the whole silence business was just about... the "Silence"?
Who knows, maybe the next season might give us some answers... OR, even better, step away from the whole River Song thing.

Let's see what the new companion brings to the story!

June 11, 2012 5:47 pm  #39

Yeah....The 7th season  (which they are filming now---)  I  tooo  was shocked  when I found out who River really was.   Her time line is weird,.  But  I can tell you this--Each time she and the doctor meet,  It's a weird timeline thing.  One of them goes backwards while the other one goes forward.    Example--In  Ten's  episode  of  "The Silence in the Library/forest of the dead"  THAT  was the  LAST   time that  river and the doctor actually MET.  River Knew all about him,  but  the doctor had NEVER met her.  See?  It;'s a  wibbly wobbly--timey whimey...thing.   It's a wonder that any of us can keep  up  with them!!   sheesh.  And I  still don't know what the SILENCE  is.   are they a species?  they sure look like it to me.  But  the show says they are not a species...so--  what are they?  Hope I didn't post any spoilers here,  even tho I know  about some of the 7th season storylines.   hehehehhehee

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 11, 2012 5:51 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 27, 2012 6:00 am  #40

I wasn't allowed to watch Doctor Who when I was a little kid because it was too scary, finally started watching it when Jon Pertwee (my fav of the old Doctors) became the third Doctor. Here's an idea, the producers show get Sean Pertwee on the show somehow. I digress.

A local TV station repeated all the old Doctor Who episodes a few years ago, and they were bloody scary! This was just before the new series started. I loved Chris Ecclestone as Nine, especially when he said "Lots of planets have a North" a reference to his accent from the north of England.

I just ADORED David Tennant as Ten, sex on legs, baby! His chemistry with Billie Piper as Rose made the screen sizzle, truly. Then, when Katherine Tate came in as Donna Noble, it took the show to a new level. The chemistry was different, not sexy at all, but a brother-sister vibe, but so, so funny.

Matt Smith as Eleven has grown on me, I like him but don't find him attractive in the slightest! I may be in the minority here, but I love River Song, and when I realised who her parents are, I was SO excited! I love her confusing time line, I love her "Spoliers, Sweetie!" and I love Alex Kingston in a fangirl way.

It's wonderful how some Who features have become part of modern culture, e.g. the Tardis and the Daleks. Everyone knows what they are, or they should do.
Doctor Who obsession in UK, Australia etc is like Star Trek obsession in the USA from what I can gather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

Board footera