BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2012 10:15 pm  #1

John's nightmare

This is something that I had wondered about but didn't expect to find out,

The following was posted on bbcsherlockftw.tumblr:

"Can we please take a moment to appreciate the men who feature in Sherlock’s first thirty seconds?

Whenever you watch John’s nightmare scene in A Study in Pink, you’re seeing actual footage of a unit of British soldiers from Queen’s Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards, during a six month tour of Afghanistan which ended with five Grenadier Guardsmen killed, and many more wounded. Their story is told in the documentary Taking on the Taleban.

Among those killed in action, one was from the Queen’s Company, Guardsman Daryl Hickey. To him and all fallen soldiers; respect, gratitude, and rest in peace.

The soldier in the red shirt is Lance Corporal Jack Mizon. The story of his difficulties readjusting to life after coming home from a war-zone is documented in Jack: A Soldier’s Story."

These are the real men  - and out there as well, women - that our beloved Captain John Watson would have served alongside.

Last edited by JaneCo (August 28, 2012 10:15 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 29, 2012 12:56 am  #2

Re: John's nightmare

I wish them well... Wherever they are...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So I'm filling in for your skull..."

August 29, 2012 3:32 am  #3

Great find! I knew that the footage was actual footage but couldn't (yet) track it down.. well done!

August 30, 2012 3:31 am  #4

Thanks for the info, JaneCo, and a big thank you to all the armed forces who have served and are still serving. I hope they all come home soon...

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 30, 2012 7:40 am  #5

Excellent find Jane. Such brave servicemen and women, remembering also the service there of the Gurkas. The daughter of a good friend of mine served over there as a medic. Tough job and very difficult conditions.

Gives salute.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 10, 2012 11:32 pm  #6

Wow. That's pretty amazing. And yes, those guys definitely deserve a mention. Genuine heroes.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 13, 2012 8:55 pm  #7

Oh wow!  That's really neat.  I'll definitely think of them next time I watch this episode.

September 14, 2012 6:47 pm  #8

Oh wow, didn't know that! I'll keep that in mind the next time I'll watch the show.

To be honest, when I first started watching Sherlock and the war footage was shown... I thought I was watching the wrong show. (Well, until John woke up.)

October 5, 2012 6:57 pm  #9

Wonder if he'll be getting many post Reichenbach nightmares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2013 5:24 pm  #10

besleybean wrote:

Wonder if he'll be getting many post Reichenbach nightmares.

Possible. :/ I feel so sorry for him and all he went through...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 9, 2013 5:35 pm  #11

Don't we all!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2013 6:23 pm  #12

Thats What People Dooo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 13, 2013 10:19 am  #13

This is truly amazing stuff to know. It's one thing to read the stories and watch the programmes but this man actually changed crime fighting and the legal process aswell. This is something I would not have known without watching this programme and now I can appreciate ACD even more.

samra

Board footera