BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2013 2:17 pm  #1

I need a cipher.

Hi,if you've read my welcome topic you'll know that i'm new in this kind of stuff and need ALOT of help.Can you give a basic cipher(Could be computer code[That's what im studying at school now] so it would be easier).Anything easy would do.The ones her just mke my head hurt no matter how much i try.
Thanks in advance.Sorry if this sounds retarded.

October 20, 2013 8:14 pm  #2

Re: I need a cipher.

Hi! If you have a look further down this section of the forum there a threads with ciphers in them. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 21, 2013 1:25 pm  #3

Davina wrote:

Hi! If you have a look further down this section of the forum there a threads with ciphers in them.

Hi.As i already said the ones are so hard they just make me feel like an utter idiot. :/

October 24, 2013 4:01 pm  #4

Will this one do? It is fairly straight forward. Not much in the way of bells and whistles, just a lot of grind work.

Yoko xj h lxpyok gq zog bqf jghkgot. Gyxj xj h nhxkub jxspuo nqks qn lxpyok fjxrz uoggok jfijgxgfgxqr. X yheo htehrlot xg h ixd ib fjxrz h lqtodqkt nxkjg. Yoko xg xj yxugqr, xn bqf zog gyo lhrqr konokorlo x hs gykxuuot, hrt gyor xreokgxrz gyo hupyhiog. Pufj xg tqoj rqg lqrghxr lqrgkhlgxqrj. Qr gyo qgyok yhrt gyoko xj pfrlgfhgxqr, hj douu hj gyo nhlg gyhg gyxj xj h khgyok uqrz sojjhzo dyxly shvoj xg ohjxok gq lkhlv. H zqqt kfuo qn gyfsi xn bqf tq rqg dhrg bqfk lqto lkhlvot xj: voop xg jyqkg, hrt x yheo rqg. X yqpo gyxj txt rqg shvo bqfk yoht yfkg.

If you can't get a hold of this one I can give you one clue.

Edit: Yet another version of this. See post below.

Last edited by Ormond Sacker (October 25, 2013 1:30 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 24, 2013 6:35 pm  #5

I've been trying for two hours.It's not ceaser cipher right?
Only thing i decrypted is:
X=I or A
H=I or A
J=M or N.
Am i right?
Edit:Could use a clue.Don't be straigh forward though(telling me the cypher) play around with the sentence please.

Last edited by TheMarine (October 24, 2013 6:36 pm)

October 24, 2013 6:52 pm  #6

First off I want to apologise, the original cipher had a few "spelling errors" for the lack of a better term. I have edited the post so it now have the correct cipher, hopefully without any more mistakes.

Do you mean Ceasar cipher? Close, but no cigar.

You have done admirably despite my mistakes and are definitely heading in the correct direction in many ways. As for the clue look at where the text says 'abcdef', there is only one instant I can think of where that would pop up in a cipher. Hope that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 24, 2013 7:07 pm  #7

Aint vignere cipher either.The first thing that came to mind was that it was vignere cipher that used abcdef as a key but no .After observing some more i see that the way the letters are shifted is strange(not the same number[for example each letter shifted by 10 or 1]) and is definetly a more complex cipher.I will definately have fun doing this.Will continue tommorow.
Good Night!

Last edited by TheMarine (October 24, 2013 7:08 pm)

October 24, 2013 7:18 pm  #8

Don't give up on that thought entirely, you are definitely getting warmer. And you should know that I'm a very backwards person sometimes. That's all I'm saying.

Good night and have fun with it tomorrow.

October 25, 2013 1:31 pm  #9

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Will this one do? It is fairly straight forward. Not much in the way of bells and whistles, just a lot of grind work.

Yoko xj h lxpyok gq zog bqf jghkgot. Gyxj xj h nhxkub jxspuo nqks qn lxpyok fjxrz uoggok jfijgxgfgxqr. X yheo htehrlot xg h ixd ib fjxrz h lqtodqkt nxkjg. Yoko xg xj yxugqr, xn bqf zog gyo lhrqr konokorlo x hs gykxuuot, hrt gyor xreokgxrz gyo hupyhiog. Pufj xg tqoj rqg lqrghxr lqrgkhlgxqrj. Qr gyo qgyok yhrt gyoko xj pfrlgfhgxqr, hj douu hj gyo nhlg gyhg gyxj xj h khgyok uqrz sojjhzo dyxly shvoj xg ohjxok gq lkhlv. H zqqt kfuo qn gyfsi xn bqf tq rqg dhrg bqfk lqto lkhlvot xj: voop xg jyqkg, hrt x yheo rqg. X yqpo gyxj txt rqg shvo bqfk yoht yfkg.

If you can't get a hold of this one I can give you one clue.

Edit: Yet another version of this. See post below.

Concerning new version: I'm an idiot. I was trying to be clever, decided that it was too difficult, then forgot everything about changing stuff back. I've now had a friend look it through, posted the edited version (again), and it should be fine now. Sorry *hides*. Please forget what I said about abcdef, it's a lot of nonsense and wasn't supposed to say that *facepalms*. But you are on the right path regardless, I'm honestly impressed
(And what can all this teach me? Have a friend look stuff through before you post it you nitwit.)

October 25, 2013 2:24 pm  #10

I got this:
R=N
X=I
H=A
T=D
E=V
L=N
O=E
K=U
V=C
T=D
How many of those (if any) are correct?
EDIT:Solving this when english is not your native is really  hard.

Last edited by TheMarine (October 25, 2013 2:27 pm)

October 25, 2013 3:56 pm  #11

7 of them are right. Do you want to know which ones?

October 25, 2013 4:21 pm  #12

I would.Jeez this is incredibly hard.I guess im missing something obvious.Any clue?

October 25, 2013 5:05 pm  #13

R=N
X=I
H=A
T=D
E=V
O=E
T=D

I have one more clue: Hilton. Oh, and when I said I am sometimes a backwards person, you should pay attention to that.

October 26, 2013 10:06 am  #14

GOT IT!

HERE IS A CIPHER TO GET YOU STARTED.THIS IS A  FAIRLY  SIMPLE  FORM OF
CIPHER USING LETTER SUBSTITUTION.I HAVE ADVANCED IT A BIB BY USING A
CODEBORD FIRST.HERE IT IS HILTON, IF YOU GET THE CANON REFERENCE I AM THRILLED, AND THEN INVERTING THE ALPHABET.PLUS IT DOES NOT CONTAIN CONTRACTIONS. ON THE OTHER SIDE THERE IS PUNCTUATION, AS WELL AS THE FACT THAT THIN IS A RATHER LONG MESSAGE WHICH MAKES IT EASIER TO CRACK. A MOOD RULE OF THUMB IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR CODE CRACKED IS : KEEP IT SHORT ,AND I HAVE NOT.I HOPE THIS DID NOT MAKE YOUR HEAD HURT.
IT DID!

Last edited by TheMarine (October 26, 2013 10:07 am)

January 3, 2014 8:41 pm  #15

why dont you try pigpen cipher? its really easy! x search it up

Shootin' The Wall Coz Im BORED

April 21, 2014 9:07 pm  #16

Read Conan Doyle's  "The Adventure of the Dancing Men." There's a cipher in it. I don't think the gutenberg press (free on-line version) reproduces the ciphers, which are drawings.

Board footera