BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 5:32 pm  #1

Irene's profession

One of the changes in the story was Irene's profession - in the original story, if I remember it correctly, she was an opera singer (with some love adventures, however). What do you think about the change?

I am asking because that's perhaps the only aspect in this excellent episode that I didn't like very much. I think the aspect of Irene as a very successful seducer would have worked well without making her a 'dominatrix' - for me that's overstressing the sexual aspect of her character.

"Oh, please, killing me. That's so two years ago. ”

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage, Sherlock.

June 7, 2012 5:47 pm  #2

Re: Irene's profession

When I first caught that information whilst watching it I did have a little 'ut-oh' moment as I thought they needn't be so obvious with her sexuality. However it is fairly common practise in Britain for high ranking officials to be found in some sort of kinky sex scandal. The Profumo Affair is a famous one which involves spies and sex and there are many, many other cases over the years where people have wound up dead and in a state of disarray.

That chap who worked for MI5 on secondment is a perfectly good example of this type of behaviour.

I think by the part where she had the code which was the aeroplane seating arrangement I bought into her character's profession and felt comfortable that Britain was being portrayed appropriately (And humorously).

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 7, 2012 6:25 pm  #3

I agree that it would be difficult to find another profession that would carry a similar degree of scandal and social unacceptability to to original story; in many ways the original is sadder as Irene is perfectly honourable but just of the wrong social class.

As for the chap who was on secondment from GCHQ to MI5, and having listened to a lengthy investigation on Radio 4 the other day about this whole case, I must say I find the whole incident very unsettling indeed, on many levels. They say that truth is often stranger than fiction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2012 6:37 pm  #4

Here's a morbidly humorous account of Sherlock Holmes investigating the death of Gareth Williams which shows how factual can transcend fiction.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 7, 2012 8:14 pm  #5

I've started to read through the link above. Amazing detail included. I haven't finished it yet, as there is so much to take in. All very fishy!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2012 8:26 pm  #6

Both Irenes were in the blackmail business. I would think In ACD's time the idea that a royal dignitary might have 'kept company' with one woman prior to proper marriage to another was scandalous enough to allow her vocation to be that od an opera singer or a school marm. To match that level oif scandal today one needs to up the ante a little bit. I think the choice of dominatrix serves this well plus it adds such a fabulous contrast to Sherlock's "The Virgin" reputation. Opposites attract.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 8, 2012 5:33 am  #7

I must ask Bo Rhap, in the words of the great Mycroft Holmes, does "sex scare you"?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 9:27 am  #8

In the original story she was an adventuress of "dubious and questionable memory". I always understood this to mean she seduced rich and powerful men for their money and for the thrill of the chase. As our Irene put it "I make my way in the world, I misbehave." When this has been discussed elsewhere, some people have claimed that dominatricies do not actually offer sex as part of their services. If that's the case, the Irene of the book may actually have been more promiscuous than the one in the show!

Going off topic a bit. I just re-read the original and I had forgotten that Sherlock (in disguise) was the witness at Irene's shotgun wedding. It would be great if a couple of series down the track they work this in a side-plot. Irene comes onto the radar and everyone thinks she's up to something. Sherlock investigates, follows her undercover, ends up at the registry office and gets co-opted for the wedding. Irene doesn't appear to notice but as she walks past him on the way out she throws him a wink. Or even gives him her bouquet as a thank-you gift for helping out - and on it there's a card "Thankyou, Mr Holmes". And she's never seen again.

Last edited by Aurora (June 8, 2012 9:47 am)

June 8, 2012 10:47 am  #9

Aurora wrote:

It would be great if a couple of series down the track they work this in a side-plot. Irene comes onto the radar and everyone thinks she's up to something. Sherlock investigates, follows her undercover, ends up at the registry office and gets co-opted for the wedding. Irene doesn't appear to notice but as she walks past him on the way out she throws him a wink. Or even gives him her bouquet as a thank-you gift for helping out - and on it there's a card "Thankyou, Mr Holmes". And she's never seen again.

If this delicious scenario were to happen, I would be screaming at my TV set demanding that he stop the wedding and whisk her away! What has this show done to me?

June 8, 2012 10:52 am  #10

I keep thinking what if Irene was pregnant with Sherlock's baby and then suddenly he wakes up to find the baby on his doorstep! this would never happen but still, it's a funny thought!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 8, 2012 12:30 pm  #11

Not in the safe then?

June 8, 2012 12:34 pm  #12

Molly Hooper wrote:

I keep thinking what if Irene was pregnant with Sherlock's baby and then suddenly he wakes up to find the baby on his doorstep! this would never happen but still, it's a funny thought!

In fact it was so funny, I spit out my morning coffee all over my laptop when I read it!   Shame on you Molly!

What a delicious concept. Undoubtedly Sherlock has Irene stashed away somewhere in a witness protection program and he sneaks away monthly for glorious trysts with her How about a remake of Three Men and a Baby starring Sherlock, Watson and Mycroft. Would love to see Sherlock trying to change a diaper or dealing with a toddler

June 8, 2012 12:37 pm  #13

Molly Hooper wrote:

No!No!No! He can't be the boy's father! Look at the turnups of his j ... sorry, wrong association!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 8, 2012 12:56 pm  #14

Sorry about the coffee, SP, would you like me to make you another?

I was thinking 3 men and a baby aswell! Imagine Sherlock taking the baby along to all the crime scenes in a miniture forensics suit!! 

Haha, tobe! I can always count on you to fit a quote in somewhere! 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 8, 2012 1:41 pm  #15

Molly Hooper wrote:

Sorry about the coffee, SP, would you like me to make you another?

I was thinking 3 men and a baby aswell! Imagine Sherlock taking the baby along to all the crime scenes in a miniture forensics suit!! 

Haha, tobe! I can always count on you to fit a quote in somewhere! 

Actually some tea would go quite nicely. If you have the blend Sherlock served Moriarty, I'd be delighted. I will forego the sugar however until kazza and Aurora can verfiy that I will not be envisioning great hounds upon partaking

Love Sherlock taking Junior on the hunt in one of those backpack baby carrier things. Clearly we are far too clever not to be supplying M&G with these snippets of gold.

June 8, 2012 2:25 pm  #16

Somehow I think that Sherlock would be, frankly, hopeless as a father! I mean, can you imagine the mischief junior could get up to when daddy goes on one of his spaced-out mind-palacy, oh I didn't realise you had left the room, couple of vacant hours?

June 8, 2012 3:02 pm  #17

Ok well, let's see if we can arrange something. I may be getting on in years but I'll be quite happy to donate myself as the natural mother; let's see what we can produce huh?

Oh Sherlock dear ......????

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 3:04 pm  #18

kazza, please, not here!!

June 8, 2012 3:07 pm  #19

It's an experiment!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 8, 2012 3:12 pm  #20

*after managing to close mouth and stop gawping*

What was that about... "Oh no, it's OK, the forum-grandmother is watching over you!"

hmm...

Board footera