BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2012 5:18 am  #1

"Gas leak" explosion mistake

I noticed a „mistake“ that obviously is there for dramatic reasons:
After the “little domestic† John is leaving Baker Street. Barely a minute later that explosion opposite 221 takes place. John MUST have heard it! But no – it’s not until next morning that he gets the information from the telly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 17, 2012 6:20 am  #2

Re: "Gas leak" explosion mistake

Good observation skills there!  i didn't notice that!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a highly functioning sociopath. Do your research."
-- Sherlock (to Anderson)

February 17, 2012 6:45 am  #3

John left, and then Mrs Hudson came in. Sherlock got up while Mrs H tidied up the kitchen.
Sherlock looked down at John leaving.
He then said how hateful the peace was. She mentioned something will show up soon.
As she was leaving she noticed the wall with shot up smiley etc.

That's enough time for John to be down the street & around the corner judging by the street shots we've seen. He probably did hear a bang, but it wouldn't have been thunderous and he wasn't in the mood to care what went on around him. Could have been anything in a city street. Who would think 'gee I hope that is not my place?" Alternatively he may have taken a cab across the road depends where Sarah lives.

I really don't see much problem with it. Not everything is done in real time or we'd be here all year watching, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

February 17, 2012 1:20 pm  #4

Or he could have jumped in a cab and been way down the road by then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 20, 2012 4:51 pm  #5

I did think it was a bit quick after John left for the explosion to happen and him not hear it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 8:00 pm  #6

Artistic license!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 10:01 pm  #7

kazza474 wrote:

.... He probably did hear a bang, but it wouldn't have been thunderous and he wasn't in the mood to care what went on around him. Could have been anything in a city street. Who would think 'gee I hope that is not my place?" ....

Well, I would!!
But then I don't live in the center of London and am not very used to "bangs" around here... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 2, 2013 8:11 am  #8

I came here to open a post about it coz I just realized. And really, it's a mistake. He WOULD HAVE HEARD from miles distant and also it would be news quickly... how did he only see it on the news in the next morning? They were talking about it on tv as if it had just happened PLUS when John got to Baker St the police was still cleaning and investigating the mess as if it had just happened.
Clear mistake. Of course they can't be perfect and it's okay to point out mistakes..that was kinda of a big one.

Last edited by Estela (January 2, 2013 8:11 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Freeman is adorable!

January 2, 2013 8:33 am  #9

I think we have to allow for a bit of movie magic, otherwise we should just all watch documentaries all the time.
The noise thing yes.
But I certainly didn't take from the news report that it had just happened, merely that is was the latest big story and also just the one John happened to tune into.
It would take them a wee while to clear up, they seemed fairly organised...it's not a main thoroughfare after all...well in real life!

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2013 8:36 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2013 8:33 am  #10

Estela wrote:

I came here to open a post about it coz I just realized. And really, it's a mistake. He WOULD HAVE HEARD from miles distant and also it would be news quickly... how did he only see it on the news in the next morning? They were talking about it on tv as if it had just happened PLUS when John got to Baker St the police was still cleaning and investigating the mess as if it had just happened.
Clear mistake. Of course they can't be perfect and it's okay to point out mistakes..that was kinda of a big one.

Things don't 'get on the news' with a full report as seen on Sarah's TV THAT quickly.
Also, the police and firemen need to arrive, put out the burning building across the street while blocking off the area. They then need to investogat ethe safety of the area before allowing more police cars etc into the area. That's not a fast thing to achieve.
The investigations would naturally start in the morning when things can be clearly seen.

An explosion like that "gas leak" would give a loud bang inside the apartment that it happened in; 221B across the street had more damage from the shock waves of the explosion, causing the windows to blow in etc so that noise we hear is inside the apartment.
Yes there would have been a bang heard outside but it could have sounded like a car backfiring, as by then John would have been around the corner & down the blosk someways. John walked fast because he was peeved at the time.
Honestly, it's not that big a mistake. Moftiss could have left what... 5 minutes of boring 'nothing' until they felt John was far enough away?
lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera