BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 4:15 pm  #1

The Sherlock Holmes Riddle

May have been posted here before, probably has been!
You can have a go at it here

I'm an utter fail at riddles and am stuck on question one!!
Have Fun!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 7, 2012 4:38 pm  #2

Re: The Sherlock Holmes Riddle

I got up to question three - I do like these types of game but always feel that a group effort is better than trying it solo. More eyes and minds to help solve it.

I'll come back to it when I've got lots of time Molly, thanks for posting it!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 7, 2012 5:01 pm  #3

Thanks for moving this, erm... Sherlock??

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 8, 2012 4:24 pm  #4

Are these solvable at face value so to speak or do you have to have read the original stories?

June 8, 2012 4:27 pm  #5

Well, I'm only on question two but I don't tyhink you will and you definitely don't for question 1

June 8, 2012 4:28 pm  #6

Hey Rosey, you don't need to know the original stories from what I've seen so far but they are proper 'internet' riddles and looking through source code and such is required to get further.

-m0r

June 8, 2012 4:38 pm  #7

What's Source code? 

June 8, 2012 4:47 pm  #8

Erm...

It's like the Matrix, or the origins of language or a very descriptive way of identifying things.

Every web page has an underlying set of rules which define it's form, layout and a multitude of other aspects - that's what your browser reads before it renders a page unto you.

It's not complicated in and of itself, but there can be lots of it which can make it seem complicated.

-m0r

June 8, 2012 4:49 pm  #9

Oh! Now it all seems so clear! 

June 8, 2012 4:51 pm  #10

Are you using Chrome to browse the web Molly?

-m0r

June 8, 2012 4:52 pm  #11

No 
I'm on my Dad's crumbly old laptop!

June 8, 2012 4:57 pm  #12

OK, well there's probably a drop down menu near the top with the word 'Edit' or 'View' there. If you click on that and click the 'View Page Source' button a notepad application will open and show you the source code of this page.

You can't break it or anything so don't worry - it's just showing you the truth beneath the actual webpage. That's source code.

-m0r

June 8, 2012 5:02 pm  #13

Ahh! I get it now! I've been enlightened!!

June 8, 2012 5:07 pm  #14

Expect that, and much more, from this riddle.

-m0r

June 8, 2012 5:14 pm  #15

What riddle?

June 8, 2012 5:18 pm  #16

Molly Hooper wrote:

What riddle?

Hmmm....

I'm seriously suppressing some very refined Sherlock mockery here Molly.

-m0r

June 8, 2012 5:24 pm  #17

Oh! You mean the riddle... 
(there's no smilie for mortifyingly embarrassed!)

June 10, 2012 3:34 pm  #18

Has anyone got any further with this. I'm stuck on the third question and it's really bugging me. The clue is "anachronism" which according to the dictionary definition is:

a·nach·ro·nism
   [uh-nak-ruh-niz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, especially a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time: The sword is an anachronism in modern warfare.

an error in chronology in which a person, object, event, etc., is assigned a date or period other than the correct one: To assign Michelangelo to the 14th century is an anachronism.

So, something isn't right with this picture. Something out of context that shouldn't be there. Any ideas?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 10, 2012 3:44 pm  #19

Could someone PLEASE tell me what a reagent is, I raelly don't understand any of the internet definitions!
Oh, and Sherlock, isn't there a calculator behind the violin? If you zoom in it definitely looks like one!! Hope this helps
Edit:
(I've checked and there definitely is one!!!!)
(but sadly it won't let you continue with the word: Calculator!)

Last edited by Molly Hooper (June 10, 2012 3:59 pm)

June 10, 2012 5:28 pm  #20

Molly the a reagent is a chemical. You need to look at the pictures and put the words together to make a chemical. I'm not sure where you live but make sure you think of the British name for things 
Sherlock you need to look at the source(right click and there should be an option to view source or inspect element)  and if you need more help after that just let me know and I'll give you another clue.

Board footera