BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 7:19 am  #1

What music do you hear?

I must admit that my taste is a little bit wider than most people.
I like the blues but I a also into rock, heavy metal, prog, jazz, punk
I did not get it with classical music and I do not like techno and rap.

As an instrument I love guitars.

Therefor my favorite bands are Govn´t Mule, Eric Clapton, Metallica, Rush, TransAtlantic, Cream, Die Ärzte, Die Fantastischen Vier, ...

So what is your choice of music?

June 7, 2012 7:50 am  #2

Re: What music do you hear?

I like to listen to a wide range of music.
Being raised in a church musician's family Bach was my first love (and probably will be forever).
Today I'm in Rock (Queen and Brian May are my heroes!) but also Swing, Jazz, Classics, sometimes even HipHop and Rap, Folk music, Herbert Grönemeyer (as a patriotic duty going by the city I come from...), in fact: every well done music.
I absolutely can't stand Opera (mostly because of the soprano tremolo), German "Schlager" (they provide exactly ONE rhythm and are utterly loved by those going on their Mallorca holidays) and "volkstümliche Musik" (I think it's typically German and thoroughly repels me).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 7, 2012 7:59 am  #3

My family are quite into folk!
My mum likes operas (I think) well, she likes Magic Flute (if that's an opera!) I personaly find it a bit too loud, though!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 7, 2012 8:42 am  #4

I am old so I like old stuff.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 7, 2012 8:50 am  #5

Molly Hooper wrote:

My family are quite into folk!
My mum likes operas (I think) well, she likes Magic Flute (if that's an opera!) I personaly find it a bit too loud, though!

The Magic Flute is a singspiel, Molly (I couldn't resist, sorry). And it's amazing

I'm a bit of a geek so what you would find in my iPod and in my CD collection is mainly music composed before 1945. But that kind of music most people find boring, from Monteverdi to Stravinsky, going through Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Debussy, Chopin, Dvorak and Prokofiev. My true love is Beethoven, though I really like and appreciate any kind of music. I love Queen, Nirvana, U2, Amy Winehouse, The Beatles or the Bee Gees. I think the most wonderful voice ever is Frank Sinatra's and I like listening to good movie soundtracks (specially Gabriel Yared, John Williams or Ennio Morricone).

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 7, 2012 8:55 am  #6

I like musicals, everything from Matilda (brilliant) to Les Mis (equally brillint!)

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 7, 2012 10:48 am  #7

Molly Hooper wrote:

I like musicals, everything from Matilda (brilliant) to Les Mis (equally brillint!)

I haven't seen Mathilda but I love Les Miserables... and West Side Story (my all-time favourite musical)

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 7, 2012 10:52 am  #8

Yes I like west-side story too, especially America!
Mathilda is brilliant!
It's by Tim Minchin here's one of the lovliest songs!

June 7, 2012 3:39 pm  #9

Wonderful song, Molly. I'd love to see Matilda some day... I'm not sure there are representations in Spain, I must research a bit.

"America" is, for me, the best song written in the XXth century. And I specially enjoy and love the version in the movie. I can't even picture anyone but George Chakiris and Rita Moreno for Bernardo and Anita. They're absolutely amazing

June 7, 2012 3:42 pm  #10

Anything from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2012 3:49 pm  #11

Brilliant! I can't believe I've never seen the movie!!

June 7, 2012 6:15 pm  #12

Molly Hooper wrote:

Brilliant! I can't believe I've never seen the movie!!

Then please, please, PLEASE, Molly, do watch it. It is amazing.
Another wonderful bit... the dance at the gym

June 7, 2012 8:50 pm  #13

Molly it's the story of Romeo and Juliet updated to New York gangs. Very beautiful and very sad.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2012 9:22 pm  #14

Davina wrote:

Molly it's the story of Romeo and Juliet updated to New York gangs. Very beautiful and very sad.

Yes... West Side Story is to Romeo and Juliet what our Sherlock is to canon Sherlock Holmes

June 8, 2012 10:02 am  #15

I managed to pick up the story from all the songs (I've got a CD) and it is very sad. It makes my Mum cry; but then again, Everything makes my Mum cry!

June 9, 2012 2:40 am  #16

I don't listen to a lot of music, but I'm mostly into Yes and Pink Floyd these days. I also like classical music and jazz. But I really don't like country, rap or any "actual music".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 9, 2012 12:16 pm  #17

I was listening to a programme on the radio yesterday, which was a really long interview with Neil Young. Very interesting and I am now really keen to get his new album with Crazy Horse which, I think, is called Americana. It sounds a wonderful reworking of, mostly, American songs, many of which are school ground favourites but they are doing their own workings of the original songs. It also includes God Save the Queen.

I have loved Neil Young's work for many years, ever since buying his 'After the Goldrush' album many moons ago. His voice is just so unique and instantly recognisable. I like the way he has stuck to making the music he wants to make. A man with standards and a moral compass.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 12, 2012 2:02 am  #18

Molly Hooper wrote:

Put me in the "Girls who like musicals" group too. My Fair Lady is my favorite but I love them all. Also love '30's-40'sbig band swing, classic 60s-70's rock and a lot of indie rock today.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 12, 2012 3:38 am  #19

In no particular order...

Bach
Anything played by Yo Yo Ma
Small doses of bluegrass
Virtually all the songs from The Sound of Music and Les Mis
Alison Krauss
Hymns (as long as they're pre-19th-century, though there's some wonderful modern through-composed stuff, too)
Barbershop Quartet (or any type of tight harmonization)
The angelic voice of Jackie Evanko
Plainsong
Just about anything "classical" (in the broadest sense of that term)
American folk music

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 13, 2012 7:23 pm  #20

Wow, so many musical and classical lovers here!

So, um, music.
I guess what describes my field of music best is Alternative Rock and Folk-Rock.
Yes, that's still a wide field but I do listen to a lot of stuff.
I also can enjoy good OSTs like the ones from John Murphy, Howard Shore or the brilliant Murray Gold, who we all of course know from Doctor who ;)

Board footera